lost the serpentine belt - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

lost the serpentine belt

My 2000 aero munched the serpentine belt, again, and I drove the car home under battery power for about 6 miles of highway driving, most of the time with the car idling in neutral. Even so my temp needle was in the 'red' part of the gauge, however halfway home that needle started pointing straight down so I'm hoping it was just an electrical issue. Other than some minor coolant overflow from the reservoir and what appears to be spilled power steering fluid around where the power steering pump is, is there anything else I should worry about?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
probably not the safest thing to run without coolant pressure or p/s, but if thats whats needed to get home...

but i have had 2 of these belts fail. they just seem to want to let go all of a sudden, but hey.. thats how belts fail, right?

i am almost thinking that i need to keep a spare one in the trunk with my spare DI...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

I thought the same thing, but I realized that I was without coolant pressure about halfway home

like I said it was all highway driving and I'm sure that the coolant in the system along with the airflow over the engine is more than enough cooling for those mere 6 miles. It can't be any worse for the engine than sitting in stop-and-go traffic with the AC on in 100 degree weather which the car's been through no problem.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

If that were to ever happen again i would pull over asap. The water pump is NOT running if the serpentine belt is broke. I've seen too many engines melt pistons because of over heating. I'm not saying you have a problem but i would just make sure to pull over next time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG-GASM View Post
If that were to ever happen again i would pull over asap. The water pump is NOT running if the serpentine belt is broke. I've seen too many engines melt pistons because of over heating. I'm not saying you have a problem but i would just make sure to pull over next time.
thats what i was trying to imply.

not good to drive if the belt fails, especially with t7 meltable pistons.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 07-05-2007, 04:25 AM   #6
JK
Elder

Oh no....I can see another, "I just drove it far enough to get home.....it's going to cost HOW MUCH?" cars here.

Never drive it just "far enough to make it home" in that situation.

The reason for the temp sensor pointing into the cool part of the gauge is probably due to all the coolant boiling out. When it boils out the temp gauge won't work correctly, since it measures water temp, not air temp.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

poopoo, but this has happened before and the car made it home from about 9 miles away no problem. I'm going to have all the fluids, oil, etc changed as well anyways.

just started the car up and it seemed to run fine, but the oil is pretty dark so I think I'm going to do a couple 500 mile stints using mobil 1 0w/30 and switch to motul after that just to be nice to the poor engine.

Last edited by ACBarnett; 07-05-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:55 AM   #8
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACBarnett View Post
poopoo, but this has happened before and the car made it home from about 9 miles away no problem. I'm going to have all the fluids, oil, etc changed as well anyways.

just started the car up and it seemed to run fine, but the oil is pretty dark so I think I'm going to do a couple 500 mile stints using mobil 1 0w/30 and switch to motul after that just to be nice to the poor engine.
Actually you're being slightly harsher on the engine, the greatest engine wear occurs in the first thousand miles of a new synthetic oil change.

Still a good idea to change the fluids, the oil and the massive oil cooler is probably what kept the engine from completely overheating.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven18940 View Post
Actually you're being slightly harsher on the engine, the greatest engine wear occurs in the first thousand miles of a new synthetic oil change.

Still a good idea to change the fluids, the oil and the massive oil cooler is probably what kept the engine from completely overheating.
Yeah, the oil cooler is huge and this isn't the first time I've lost the belt and driven home. The last time it happened the ambient temp was about 40-50f and the car went about 10 miles with no damage, however there WAS coolant blowout that time as well, I didn't pay attention to what the temp needle was doing. That time I also drove the car as if nothing was wrong.

This time it was about 75 outside, but I only had to go 6 miles. This time I put the car in neutral and let it idle while coasting for most of the way home. The car was leaking what at first appeared to be oil when I checked it out, making me fearful that I FUBARed something, but according to my indy one of the PS hoses blew off and soaked the rest of the pulleys in fluid which led to the intact belt slipping off of one of the pulleys. Other than the PS pump issue the car is fine, and I am extremely relieved.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

My belt went last night and, for some reason the car seemed to be on my side because it happened about 3 houses down from mine. I would advise against driving without the serp belt if it ever happens again. Just because you've done it twice doesn't make it ok.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #11
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACBarnett View Post
My 2000 aero munched the serpentine belt, again, and I drove the car home under battery power for about 6 miles of highway driving, most of the time with the car idling in neutral. Even so my temp needle was in the 'red' part of the gauge, however halfway home that needle started pointing straight down so I'm hoping it was just an electrical issue. Other than some minor coolant overflow from the reservoir and what appears to be spilled power steering fluid around where the power steering pump is, is there anything else I should worry about?
ugh... why do people drive without the serpentine belt!? pull over, call a tow truck.

Seriously, a 25 dollar part can cost you hundreds if not over a grand in repairs.

Serpentine belts turn the water pump, and without any water flow, the car will overheat, and fast. seriously, this is just plain stupid to do and negligent.

I wouldn't be surprised if you blew your headgasket or warped your head.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #12
User
Elder

and yeah, frequent serpentine belt failures are often caused by a bad idler pulley or tensioner pulley. The bearings go to shit and it puts a lot of friction on the belt. Lots of times the pulley's will just seize and snap the belt.

It is always smart to replace the tensioner and idler pulley everytime you do a serpentine belt. A little extra insurance.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #13
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Well we had a car about two weeks ago that "lost" their serp. belt. If they would have called a tow truck and had it towed it would have been a 150 bucks in parts and labour, but instead they drove until it melted the pistons. The final cost ended up around 7,000 bucks. Quite a price difference.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to stevehayes01 Send a message via MSN to stevehayes01 Send a message via Yahoo to stevehayes01
Quote:
Originally Posted by zingZACH View Post
ugh... why do people drive without the serpentine belt!? pull over, call a tow truck.

Seriously, a 25 dollar part can cost you hundreds if not over a grand in repairs.

Serpentine belts turn the water pump, and without any water flow, the car will overheat, and fast. seriously, this is just plain stupid to do and negligent.

I wouldn't be surprised if you blew your headgasket or warped your head.

x2

Old 07-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Raven18940
Quote:
Originally Posted by zingZACH View Post
and yeah, frequent serpentine belt failures are often caused by a bad idler pulley or tensioner pulley. The bearings go to shit and it puts a lot of friction on the belt. Lots of times the pulley's will just seize and snap the belt.

It is always smart to replace the tensioner and idler pulley everytime you do a serpentine belt. A little extra insurance.
I've heard of the idler pulleys, but the tensioner too?
Old 07-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to josuar88 Send a message via MSN to josuar88 Send a message via Yahoo to josuar88
I trust Zach on what ever says about saabs he knows his shit.

I'm Not Poor Just A Saab Enthusiast

Old 07-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #17
User
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven18940 View Post
I've heard of the idler pulleys, but the tensioner too?
It's a pulley, it has bearings. it is just as prone to fail as the idler pulley.

replace both, and you wont have to worry about em. they are cheap enough.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #18
Avid TSL User

x2 on replacing the pulley and tensioner. They are cheap pieces of plastic and will go eventually anyway. Save yourself some headaches and do with the belt, they're cheap insurance.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to josuar88 Send a message via MSN to josuar88 Send a message via Yahoo to josuar88
must be some high temp plastic to be that close to the engine. I mean hell its not that far fetched I think Honda or another Japanese car company is looking into making an entire motor out of plastic. I know sounds ridicules but I was in an engineering program for 2 years and anything we talked about sounded ridiculous and this was brought up at one time.

I'm Not Poor Just A Saab Enthusiast

Old 07-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #20
Avid TSL User

the pulleys were replaced the last time the belt broke, which was only in december

so far the car drives just as well as it did before, so far at least...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in