piston slap? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Saaboy Send a message via MSN to Saaboy
Exclamation piston slap?

2001 Saab 9-5 Aero

Color: Grey Trans: Manual Mileage: 84,400 Price: $6500
Clean car in/out. Loaded with nearly all the Aero options. Car runs but has been diagnosed with a cylinder number 4 piston slap. Car still runs well and can be driven, just has the annoying tapping noise....

piston slap = death! isn't something horribly wrong with this guys cylinder/valves/spark plug?!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
Elder

probably been over heated and the piston is starting to deteriorate. Get a cyl. probe and take a look inside the engine. If there is nothing showing on the piston then it's no big deal and concider it a bargian and buy it
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
either what moonracer said, or its rod knock....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6

Old 06-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Jameson
If that car was mint it would sell for $9-9500 on a good day. I would offer $5k

I saw a 5spd 01 the ABS light and CEL light on, my guess less than $1000 in parts from what was described and under 100k miles for 4-5k.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StX221 View Post
either what moonracer said, or its rod knock....
The real question is are you prepared to open up the engine or swap a newer one in? If you have the means, then offer a lower price and source the parts/engine, otherwise might be good to get a second opinion.

I looked into a 9-5 with engine problems and 9-5 engines weren't readily available at the time. Might have changed in the past yr or so.

The other issue is sludge? Are there records or CPO options? We just rebuilt an engine (rod bearings) cause the PO didn't believe in oil changes

--Oliversexpedition
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 06-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
iirc, you can pick up an engine from goldwings with approx. 40k miles for about 2500.

that is a full b235, with manifolds and no turbo. you might want to check this out.

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 06-24-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
SAABeginner

hey, I actually called that guy with the car awhile back. He said the girl that he got it from drove it for 2 years with the problem, if that helps.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:34 AM   #8

I had piston slap in my B234 after blowing 4/5ths of the engine oil capacity out onto the highway and temporarily starving the engine.

I drove it around for a few months with the noise, and could have let it stay like that for a while, but it started to get to me.....
Old 06-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
I drove my 9000 for 50,000mi after I lost all oil and drove the car for 35miles bone dry (my oil idiot light had burnt out, and my neighbor had driven the car down a dirt road and bottomed out the oil pan on a big rock ). I had terrible slap/tick/whatever you want to call it after that! I burnt the turbo out with no oil, but the engine held up just fine... and still ran great and boosted great when I got rid of the car.

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in