Starting issues...'06 9-5 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2007, 06:54 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Starting issues...'06 9-5

It's heading off to the dealer this evening. Any ideas; here's the problems:

Upon cold-start first thing in the morning after being parked overnight car will not start. Problem started Saturday morning and has occurred every morning since then. What happens:

-Saturday Morning: Engine would crank but wouldn’t fire. After several attempts; engine started, ran rough- then ran normally moments later.

-Sunday Morning: Engine would crank and would fire but immediately die. After several attempts engine started.

-Monday Morning: Engine would crank but wouldn’t fire. After a few attempts engine started but would immediately die. After a few more attempts engine started but ran poorly then at high revs for a minute or two.

At first I figured I got a bad tank of gas (Exxon 93) at the station in MD I stopped at on my way out for the weekend. However, after running the tank down from the drive up, then refilling at a different station (Sunoco 93) in a different state, and driving several hundred more miles- the problem continues.

I also thought maybe there was a fuel pump priming issue so I’d turn the ignition to “on” for a few seconds before starting (as in beyond a normal period of time)- this seemed to help it fire- but then it still died immediately after.

When I got it started on Monday- I stepped on the gas slightly as soon as it started/was running rough/about to die- the revs spiked to 3k or so but then it ran ok.

There is no check engine light (CEL) and after a minute the car seems to be ok in normal driving but is definitely down on power when passing (power seems to come on significantly slower than normal). It reminded me an awful lot of my LS1 cars when they pull timing for knock.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

Dude, i'm having the same problem with my '03 9-5 Aero. I have no clue what's wrong with it. I was just going to start a thread on this, but you beat me to it.

If i don't drive for a day or so and i go to start my car, the first attempt it will crank, but not start up. Second attempt, car will crank, catch, but then die. Third attempt, the car will fire right up and run fine. This happened to me twice already.

What's going on with ours cars guys??

Last edited by MikeyC84; 05-07-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to b dash rian
my moms struggles sometimes when its cold, like she'll start it, and wait a few seconds (like 10-15) and put it in reverse, and it stalls out. Hers is an auto

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Football stars play for the Steelers. Suck it, Cleveland.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

I'll let you know what the issue was once I get it back from the dealer. My money is on the fuel system...but thats from experience with a mechanical throttle/standard ignition function vehicle.

I'm getting a new headlight auto-leveling sensor as well- mine failed.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28hokie View Post
I'll let you know what the issue was once I get it back from the dealer.
Cool, thanks! Let us know if it's an expensive fix too.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Elder

di or cps i bet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
Elder

Like I said in the other NG900 OG9-3 forum, My moms 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon did the same thing when it was really cold. Under warranty the CPS and the plugs were replaced, batt a few months before that. And it still sounds kinda weak. Not sure if its the same thing that you are talking about.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
my moms 9-5 was like this too

^CLICK ME^
Old 05-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
Elder

Damn Saabs
Old 05-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
Elder

My dads 04 Arc does this everyday, exactly as you describe. He is waiting til he is at the dealer next time to try and get it resolved.

My mom 2000 95 LPT does it as well, but far, far less frequently.

Let us know what you find out!

nicholas+
Old 05-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Will do, had to push my apt back a day though- need the car.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:02 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

Wow...so a few things:
1) They replaced my leveling sensor for the headlights (since they were winking at people)

2) I had an eraser sized hole in my center muffler (a noise I complained about since getting the car) I told them it was an exhaust leak somewhere- but they couldn't replicate before

3) They think the hard starting is due to carbon buildup on the valves and dirty injectors from a bad tank of gas this seems a little optimistic to me- but if it works I'll take it.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
that's odd, did they change & inspect the old fuel filter or do any other investigation to verify this or is this just their "best guess"?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:41 PM   #14
Elder

My 2000 9-3 did this too.

I replaced the DI cassette and spark plugs and it went away.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:04 AM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28hokie View Post
3) They think the hard starting is due to carbon buildup on the valves and dirty injectors from a bad tank of gas this seems a little optimistic to me- but if it works I'll take it.
Let me be the first to call outright BS on this diagnosis.

1)If it was carbon build up, it would continue to start hard throughout the day. Our problem is only the first starting in the morning.

2)Further, if the car is starting normally, say at 5pm when you go home from, work but does not start well the next morning at 8am... What, did the carbon build up again?

LAZY diagnosis is what that is. Bring it back when the 5 day weather forecast is good and when you're scheduling mention that you are interested in a buying a 9-3SS convertible, but haven't driven one... then that will be your loaner!

To add to the known info on this problem, it is my experience that if you put the key to the on position allowing the fuel pump to run... say for 20 seconds, you will get a successful start 95% of the time. This would hint to me that there is not enough fuel pressure in the tank-to-engine fuel line after the car sits for 6 hours...
Old 05-10-2007, 05:22 AM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

the fuel pump only runs for a litmited amount of time i think omly three seconds and once fuel pressure has risen to where it should be there will be no more fuel pressure admitted to the system until the car will be started or attempted to

Old 05-10-2007, 05:23 AM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG-GASM View Post
the fuel pump only runs for a litmited amount of time i think omly three seconds and once fuel pressure has risen to where it should be there will be no more fuel pressure admitted to the system until the car will be started or attempted to
Hey good info! So 3 seconds of the key in the on position should have the same effect as 20? I'll test this tomorrow. This problem is annoying because you can't replicate but once a day...
Old 05-10-2007, 05:24 AM   #18
Avid TSL User

Agreed; they actually asked to hold it until another morning to see if the service fixed it. I'm putting $5 on "no".
Old 05-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #19
Avid TSL User

Another update from the dealer:

1) Full top end cleaning fixed the hard-start issue

They suggest using only the following top-tier gas companies:
QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Texaco
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada

2) Replaced both mufflers due to rust holes in each (believes something corrosive got on them at the factory before being put on the car

Apparently BP and Sunoco-US aren't good enough...and Saab exhausts can rust out after 17k miles...I am NOT happy.

I'll see for sure about the hard starting issue in the morning...if it really is fixed or not.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #20
Elder

the carbon thing for your starting issue is probably not going to help. I have seen this before on cars where it is a problem. These cars are usually higher mileage 60k plus. And we have found that the type of fuel and type of driving is the reason for it. If you have ethanhol in your fuel and don't drive very hard (town driving) you can get a black sooty build up on the back side of the intake valves. This build up will then soak up the fuel in the mornings before the car starts. Once the build up is soaked it will start untill it sets a long time. I hope this will help in explaining why this happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in