no coolant? pink or green for 99 9-5 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 06:25 AM   #1
Trollerator
Elder

no coolant? pink or green for 99 9-5

OK the SID that has like 3 pixels working had some new illegible warning for the past few days.
on a whim I popped the hood and looked around... wait that coolant expansion tank looks empty. I opened it and it's like bone dry!
so not sure what type to refill with, pink or green? anyone know.... I thought i heard t7 cars use pink, or was it a certain model year/hardware related and not trionic related....
next step will be to find where it all disappeared to, there didn't look like there was anything on the driveway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdukted1456 View Post
next step will be to find where it all disappeared to, there didn't look like there was anything on the driveway.
I usually plug the whole before i fill it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:51 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I think they went to GM Dexcool ( bright orange ) in 2003.

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero

Old 04-02-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
Trollerator
Elder

my 02 uses the pink.orange stuff.
I just know the wrong coolant is a big deal, I saw a car come into the dealer smoking like hell once when I was waiting for mine... turns out they put green instead of the pinky one

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 04-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Crack a line and see what you get.

1997 900SE Talladega (SQR stage 4)
2006 9-3SS Aero
Old 04-02-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
Trollerator
Elder

OK nobody knows.
It had green in there when we got it but the tank is stained orange.
I will just check the manual
I just wanted to stop and pick some up on the way home, since we live out in the middle of nowhere and didn't want to drive an extra hour tonight.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 04-02-2007, 07:45 AM   #7
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Since -01 they used orange, I would switch to green but flush it good first. Fill with water, run, drain, dispose of properly. Repeat a couple times.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 04-02-2007, 07:58 AM   #8
Trollerator
Elder

thanks Nick, I will just put green since that was what was in there last then.

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 04-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
if it has not been flushed out and originally had the orange, bad things can happen... that dexcool does not like being mixed with the cheap green stuff, it sort of... curdles and plugs stuff up

Personally, I would do as GenuineSaab said ASAP, flush it first, do not just re-fill it with green coolant. this stuff is nice- http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdet...ts=1&code=6579

though personally I just use the green prestone stuff cause coolant is never something I remember to order in advance, and no one carries the really good stuff.

Last edited by DeLorean; 04-02-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #10
TSLMember

Send a message via AIM to sdj1431
Prestone makes a coolant and it says you can use it with any model/make, any year and it can be mixed with any color.

I've never used it but I just went to the shelf and checked it out.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #11
Flirting With TSL Addiction

My understanding is that you don't mix green with orange...just keep it one color. I've been told that the green coolant performs better for the long term, but if you change coolant every couple of yrs, then it shouldn't matter.

I also have a habit of adding a bottle of Bars Leaks with every coolant flush. In addition to keeping potential leaks in check, it has lubricating properties which should help extend the life of the water pump.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #12
Trollerator
Elder

I am 99.9% it had green in there. it's just that I alwasy thought it was strange how the tank is stained pink/orange. I will put green in tonight. then see if it is still there in the morning

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in