Aero Poly-Vee belt twice in two weeks.. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Aero Poly-Vee belt twice in two weeks..

Has anyone else had this problem? The belt shredded on the freeway the day after I got my 2000 Aero with 119K on it. Yesterday the oil pressure warning was (attempting to be) on after fitting an OEM downpipe. After my Saab guy ran the Tech 2 on it and found nothing, he said we'd take a look underneath tomorrow (today). On the way home the battery warning light came on, and the (new) belt from two weeks (and maybe 150 miles) ago shredded.
I got a tow this morning, and although a new belt has been fitted there is a distinct smell of burning rubber. It's getting a new oil pressure sensor in the morning, but the belt thing so far is a mystery even to my Saab wiz.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

Problem solved?

Well, nothing to be found in the way of culprits or suspects. Fitted a (nother) new belt, oil pressure sensor, and all's well so far..Let's hope this one lasts more than 100 miles. This is putting a serious load on my Saab enjoyment factor!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
Elder

That sucks, but good luck with it. I'm sure this was replaced under warranty, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
JK
Elder

Ummm....my thought is that there is obviously something that is shredding the belt. Check the belt clearances all the way around the belt, and make sure all the pullies are spinning freely.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
My guess would be the upper idler pulley. This seized on mine last week and caused the belt to just burn itself off on that pulley. Though mine made a fun noise as it was burning off, I suppose it could go un-noticed if your not constantly listening/noticing things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab93cse View Post
That sucks, but good luck with it. I'm sure this was replaced under warranty, right?
I only wish it were replaced under warranty. Warranty from whom, anyway? My Saab guy did all the checks and fitted it, so I don't think Saab would want any part of that - and "..upper idler pulley.." eh? I'll have to look into that one. Would that be the same on my Aero as on the cars you have listed in your reply?
Anyway - thanks for all the feedback, guys. Good to know that there are some others out there in similar boats.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
Elder

Little different pulley design but its a very similar ball bearing pulley.

Quote:
Old 11-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

..second one broke last night..got it towed today, an I just got back this evening having braved the Friday night traffic to bring my poor wife home 'cause her Volvo has decided to go on strike, too.. s'pose I'm lucky I didn't sell my 900, yet - I guess I'll be keeping it, now!

Last edited by f5mando; 11-17-2006 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-17-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
Elder

Mando, check the upper idler pulley, if the plastic shreads off the pulley, the metal center section looks almost like it would work (could fool somone into thinking it was OK); if its down to the metal this needs to be replaced...thats where my money still is.

Quote:
Old 11-17-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
Editor
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5mando View Post
..second one broke last night..got it towed today, an I just got back this evening having braved the Friday night traffic to bring my poor wife home 'cause her Volvo has decided to go on strike, too.. s'pose I'm lucky I didn't sell my 900, yet - I guess I'll be keeping it, now!
If that car in the picture is yours, I would keep it, get a Viggen styling ensemble. I've always DREAMED of a white Viggen-esque coupe. Would look so hot I think. White's one of the best color for Saabs.

I've had an idle pulley go on me twice, and one of the times I was 300 miles away from home. I would assume one of the bearings has seized. Never heard of the things going like that though. Check all of the pulleys on everything and make sure everything's spinning freely.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

update

Well, here's the gen: The belt had wrapped itself so tight around the crank pulley/shaft that it stalled, and wouldn't turn over.
I got it towed to my Saab mechanic, and let him deal with it. The top idle pulley was damaged in the grooves, but he said that it wasn't the cause, but as a result of the belt death. After checking all the pulleys, clearances, and anything else we could think of, I decided to go with a 'long' belt. This is the original part, which Saab superceded with a 'short' belt eliminating the center pulley. As this alters the angle at which the belt feeds the other two top pulleys, this would eliminate the only possible remaining component from the equation. Today it passed the 100 mile mark without incident (the other two replacement belts didn't even make it this far), so I'll drive it another 100 miles around town to make sure it's 100% before selling it. Pity ~ I hate to part with it (we've both fallen in love with it), but I'm reaching the bottom of my barrel, and the wife needs a replacement set of wheeels after her Volvo kicked the proverbial bucket a couple of weeks ago.
Watch this space!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-5b.jpg (35.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
I'd say keep that beautiful 9-5 there. Maybe having this long belt will cure the problem and will be the replacement to the volvo. Maybe the saab and the volvo were fighthing with each other hmmmmmmm......little sibling rivalry j/k. Just keep in mind that whoever you would sell this car to should they begin to suffer the same problem as you would come back griping at you possibly.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #13
Avid TSL User

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
I'd say keep that beautiful 9-5 there. Maybe having this long belt will cure the problem and will be the replacement to the volvo. Maybe the saab and the volvo were fighthing with each other hmmmmmmm......little sibling rivalry j/k. Just keep in mind that whoever you would sell this car to should they begin to suffer the same problem as you would come back griping at you possibly.
That's just the reason I wouldn't sell it (yet), until the belt issue was resolved. That said, the long belt has been on for over 400m now, a serious record -breaking distance over the less-than-100-miles that those 'short' belts were holding for! We're both in love with the car, but the (A/C blend door shafts) have gone, and even doing the job myself it's a close-to-$400 job in parts even from eEuroparts.com. I'm driving the NG900 mostly, but it's a different animal. Of course two 9-5 Aero's would be nice..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in