Does not start-Twice & Lock anti-theft system? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
TSLMember
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 98
Exclamation Does not start-Twice & Lock anti-theft system?

Help - My 2000 9-5 AERO was cranking but not starting. I had it towed to shop suspecting fuel delivery issue but according to technician the anti-theft system locked out fuel and spark. He asked me to pursue replacing the Twice unit (found under driver seat) and the locks that goes with it.



Has anyone encountered or know anything about similar issue?
MOD2K95AERO is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 2,522
Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
It's not terribly uncommon.
There are a few ways to go about repairing it, and buying a new TWICE/Key set is pretty common.

A quick search will bring up lots of threads. I'm pretty sure you can replace just the unit and marry it if you're handy with the tech2
__________________
Craig R.
2008 9-5 Aero-1995 900T 'vert
g96nt is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
Elder
 
DrewP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,021
^^^That, you don't have to do the lock cylinders, it's much cheaper and easier not to. What you can do is get a TWICE with either a key mated to it, or a TWICE that comes with the little transponder chip that you pop into your existing key, then when you marry the TWICE to the car you will reprogram all the existing keys to match the replacement TWICE. Lots of writeups on this, but you'll need a tech with a Tech2 who knows the procedure to do it.

Read: https://www.lostsaabkeys.com/Removal...sSaab9395.aspx
__________________
(Former) Saab Tech / Competition Prep

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
DrewP is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
TSLMember
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
^^^That, you don't have to do the lock cylinders, it's much cheaper and easier not to. What you can do is get a TWICE with either a key mated to it, or a TWICE that comes with the little transponder chip that you pop into your existing key, then when you marry the TWICE to the car you will reprogram all the existing keys to match the replacement TWICE. Lots of writeups on this, but you'll need a tech with a Tech2 who knows the procedure to do it.

Read: https://www.lostsaabkeys.com/Removal...sSaab9395.aspx
That's my problem, I towed car thinking it was a fuel delivery issue and since I just moved to this area and do not have a local SAAB tech yet. The tech working on my car only has the Tech 1 tool but he said there is no need since I can just replace the whole sytem. Asked me to search for used Twice with locks online .
MOD2K95AERO is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2018, 04:56 AM   #5
TSLMember
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 98
Question Options

So believe these are my options as it were: ( please advise me )

1. Find nearby SAAB specialist and re tow (loose money with local tech and tow)
2. Purchase my own TECH 2 ( after reviewing TECH 2 forum - questionable)
Or
3. Replace entire Twice and lock components ( avoid needing Tech 2 as per local tech suggestion )

Any suggestions?
I love my SAABs but this presents a whole new problem
MOD2K95AERO is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2018, 09:51 AM   #6
Elder
 
DrewP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,021
If you replace the TWICE module with one from another car it still needs programmed via Tech2 regardless is you use a used unit with matching keys, or a rebuilt or refurbed unit. The only way you will not need access to a Tech2 to mate TWICE to the rest of the car is if you send out your unit for repair and then reinstall it to the car. TWICE is coded to DICE and ECM with the VIN number of the car and immobilization is disabled during programming.

Your options are 1 & 2 that you have added above, and 3rd is following the instructions here and having these guys see if yours is repairable: https://www.lostsaabkeys.com/Removal...sSaab9395.aspx
__________________
(Former) Saab Tech / Competition Prep

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
DrewP is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
TSLMember
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 98
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
If you replace the TWICE module with one from another car it still needs programmed via Tech2 regardless is you use a used unit with matching keys, or a rebuilt or refurbed unit. The only way you will not need access to a Tech2 to mate TWICE to the rest of the car is if you send out your unit for repair and then reinstall it to the car. TWICE is coded to DICE and ECM with the VIN number of the car and immobilization is disabled during programming.

Your options are 1 & 2 that you have added above, and 3rd is following the instructions here and having these guys see if yours is repairable: https://www.lostsaabkeys.com/Removal...sSaab9395.aspx


Thanks DrewP
.
.
MOD2K95AERO is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 2,522
Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Now, if you're handy with a solder iron, it may be worth it to pull the cover off the unit and check it out, internally. it may not have any blown components, any may just either have corrosion on the pins, or have a cold solder joint.

I literally just went through this with my ng900.
I tried everything, hardware-wise, and it turned-out that it was just a couple cold joints.
I had given up on it and ended up paying someone $400 for something I could have done for free.
__________________
Craig R.
2008 9-5 Aero-1995 900T 'vert
g96nt is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All content is copyright The Saab Link and it's original authors.


 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.