Thick lingering white smoke, not oil or water, HELP! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Thick lingering white smoke, not oil or water, HELP!

Hello, and thanks in advance. I've got a thick cloud of lingering white/gray smoke coming out of my exhaust. Does not smell like oil, am not losing coolant. Smells to me like car running very VERY rich. Puff of smoke comes out thicker for a moment right after I let up on the accelerator. Shortly after parking the car I lose pressure in the fuel rail. I was thinking leaking fuel injector. When I removed the fuel rail and turned the key to the accessory position there was no leaky injector. I decided to check the fuel pressure again with the car in the accessory position, and NOTHING. No fuel pressure. Is it possible that the fuel pump charges the system and then stops and resumes charging the system upon cranking/running? The car runs great. It does run a bit rough during the first 5 seconds of running if I try and go anywhere, but it idles fine from the beginning, and as long as I wait just a few moments before I go anywhere she runs great. If it's stop and go traffic it's a military smoke grenade going off behind me. As long as I am moving it's just a puff of smoke every now and again. Car has 140,000 miles on her. This weekend I am going to compression check the engine, try and locate the fuel return check valve, monitor the fuel system pressure, and try re-torquing the head bolts. Since I feel like I couldn't accurately test the fuel injectors (as the fuel rail had no pressure) I want to try and find a way of checking those but I don't know how to do that if there's no pressure in the line unless I'm cranking. Anyone know of a good way to check for a leaking fuel injector? Anyone know of any OTHER way excessive fuel can find its way in the exhaust? (I checked the fuel regulator vacuum line) Can anyone think of anything else that can cause thick white smoke that isn't oil or water? Any advice with what to do would be most appreciated. Thanks for reading!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
Drew In Houston
Elder

First, welcome. Hopefully you stick around or at least update as you work through this.

The fuel Send line checkvalve is part of the fuel line right where it connects to the top of the fuel canister lid, it's barrel shaped and is the part that actually clips onto the lid of the fuel pump assembly.

The Return is controlled by the fuel pressure regulator (FPR). The FPR is mounted onto the fuel rail, drivers side, and has a vacuum reference line that's supposed to go to the intake manifold proper (downstream from the throttle body).

I'd check that vacuum reference line first. I don't know that it can cause the gross over fueling that you're describing, but it can cause over fueling at vacuum conditions and under fueling at boost conditions when that rubber goes bad. The way it's supposed to work is that when the manifold is under vacuum conditions, the FPR opens wider to allow more fuel to return to the tank, if that reference line is lost, then it can't do that and you'll get too much fuel. Under boost it's supposed to shut more, thereby increasing fuel pressure linearly to match the increase in boost pressure. In that way the pressure differential is mechanically maintained across the fuel injectors under all conditions.

That's maybe $0.30 worth of vacuum hose. Maybe that's it?

Last edited by Trionic3000; 03-09-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
9-5, fuel, injector, saab, smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in