2000 Aero MT Ignition Lock Cylinder Failed - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2016, 07:47 AM   #1
Elder
 
Drew in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PA/MD
Posts: 2,430
2000 Aero MT Ignition Lock Cylinder Failed

I picked up a 2000 Laser Red Aero yesterday. The key worked loading the car onto the trailer, and then the lock cylinder failed. It's like it's not the right key anymore.

So, to get it off the trailer we disassembled the shifter housing and rod etc. and knocked it into neutral.

Now I have the assembly on the bench, lubed it up, used some compressed air, etc. the cylinder continues not to work, thinking somethings broken inside but I can't actually pull the cylinder out of the assembly either, because it has to work to allow the detent to go in.

Anyway, advice? This is a new one for me. I guess I have to grind off the detent, pull the cylinder, and then order a new one with a key?

It looks like you can still get the parts:

2000 Saab 9-5 Doors, trunk lid, Lock, Lock cylinder set

__________________
Co-Founder:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First T7 19T turbo setup. First T7 Deka 80lb. injector setup.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 04-03-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Drew in Houston is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction
 
9Kwrecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 656
Interested to see what you find out on this. The cylinder in my 02 MT has some funky problems with turning sometimes. I was hoping a cleaning along the lines of what you did would fix it.

Side note, red MY00 9-5s were Imola, not Laser. Went to Laser in 01, not that I'm sure I can tell a difference. More info about this project? It looks like you got it missing some wheels?
__________________
88 900T
91 9000T
91 MCY Vert
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
9Kwrecker is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
Elder
 
Drew in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PA/MD
Posts: 2,430
Huh, I thought it was Laser, thanks. Isn't Imola a deeper shade? I've only seen, one, I guess before so there goes that lol.

The guy had 3 spare tires on it because he wanted to keep the RKII's that it had. So yeah, 3 spare tires for wheels, and a free 9-2X spare tire that didn't fit, obviously. It also has sludged engine and about 50% disassembled engine bay; I didn't pay very much for it. Once we rolled downhill and onto the trailer I learned that partially deflated spare tires don't have a large enough diameter to keep the car high enough to open any of the doors while on the trailer, even with the trailer fender folded down. And there was no battery to put the windows down and the wiring harness was disassembled anyway.. My brother is awesome and jacked the car up while on the trailer to let me out.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. I really like how these cars look in red and it only has ≈120k on it. I've been scheming a higher compression 2.0L build with a non-standard turbo setup and a 3.82 gearset from a Cobalt to build a +35mpg commuter car. This may be the body for that. Right now I have a lot of painting and drywalling and a Viggen to put back together and sell first...
__________________
Co-Founder:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First T7 19T turbo setup. First T7 Deka 80lb. injector setup.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 04-03-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Drew in Houston is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
Elder
 
jssaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,930
I have had an ignition cylinder re-keyed by a REAL locksmith ( the kind that does safes and stuff). He said no problem loaded new pins, ground them to the existing key was 45 bucks I think
jssaab is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,956
Awesome find. Welcome to the red aero club!
I don't have anything to add on the ignition issue sorry!

I'm surprised an aero is sludged up! I thought that the factory fill requirement of full synthetic and owners of aeros being enthusiasts would have saved most! Mine with 250k miles was pristine. Looking forward to seeing what you do.
Tboy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 06:27 AM   #6
Elder
 
Drew in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PA/MD
Posts: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
I have had an ignition cylinder re-keyed by a REAL locksmith ( the kind that does safes and stuff). He said no problem loaded new pins, ground them to the existing key was 45 bucks I think
I think I'd like to try that. You don't happen to remember or have the contact information--or could you PM it to me? I'd like to see if they'd do the work via mail and if they did a good job for you that's good enough for me.
__________________
Co-Founder:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First T7 19T turbo setup. First T7 Deka 80lb. injector setup.
Drew in Houston is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2016, 06:33 AM   #7
Elder
 
Drew in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PA/MD
Posts: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
Awesome find. Welcome to the red aero club!
I don't have anything to add on the ignition issue sorry!

I'm surprised an aero is sludged up! I thought that the factory fill requirement of full synthetic and owners of aeros being enthusiasts would have saved most! Mine with 250k miles was pristine. Looking forward to seeing what you do.
Thank you! Right now I'm leaning towards fixing it. And agreed--but not the case here. Besides being taken apart, it's actually in pretty good shape and it looks like the original owner took pretty good care of it. The story was that he bought the car in Jersey 3 years ago, and on the trip home to Philly area the oil light came on, and "two minutes later I was stuck beside the road". And it's sat since then and was taken apart in a non-standard way--as in, any fastener that could be undone easily with a hand tool was taken off and might have been lost somewhere. But that's not a bad thing, if it wasn't that way I wouldn't have even looked at it because it would have been priced like a complete car; I'm not complaining.

It's crossed my mind that a car like this for $300 to get the AC, piping, cat, and other stuff, plus Craig's wagon for $700, plus a handful of new parts and time could be a pretty nice car for cheap with a lot of spares left over.
__________________
Co-Founder:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First T7 19T turbo setup. First T7 Deka 80lb. injector setup.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 04-09-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Drew in Houston is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2016, 07:04 PM   #8
Elder
 
jssaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
I think I'd like to try that. You don't happen to remember or have the contact information--or could you PM it to me? I'd like to see if they'd do the work via mail and if they did a good job for you that's good enough for me.
This is the place, I imagine if you send them the lock and a key they could do it.

South Penn Lock & Safe Co

They may want a blank key to cut. Tell them it is a Saab with a double side cut.

Alternatively, send it to me I can take it over to them, you just need to pay...

Its a a few blocks from my favorite craft beer place. 1/2 price beers at happy hour, I am sure can make it over there for you
jssaab is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2016, 04:47 PM   #9
Elder
 
Drew in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PA/MD
Posts: 2,430
Awesome! Thank you, that's not too far actually. I'm going to give them a call. If they can set up a new cylinder to an existing key that saves a lot of headache for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssaab View Post
This is the place, I imagine if you send them the lock and a key they could do it.

South Penn Lock & Safe Co

They may want a blank key to cut. Tell them it is a Saab with a double side cut.

Alternatively, send it to me I can take it over to them, you just need to pay...

Its a a few blocks from my favorite craft beer place. 1/2 price beers at happy hour, I am sure can make it over there for you
__________________
Co-Founder:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First T7 19T turbo setup. First T7 Deka 80lb. injector setup.
Drew in Houston is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2016, 05:46 AM   #10
Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 2,522
Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
Thank you! Right now I'm leaning towards fixing it. And agreed--but not the case here. Besides being taken apart, it's actually in pretty good shape and it looks like the original owner took pretty good care of it. The story was that he bought the car in Jersey 3 years ago, and on the trip home to Philly area the oil light came on, and "two minutes later I was stuck beside the road". And it's sat since then and was taken apart in a non-standard way--as in, any fastener that could be undone easily with a hand tool was taken off and might have been lost somewhere. But that's not a bad thing, if it wasn't that way I wouldn't have even looked at it because it would have been priced like a complete car; I'm not complaining.

It's crossed my mind that a car like this for $300 to get the AC, piping, cat, and other stuff, plus Craig's wagon for $700, plus a handful of new parts and time could be a pretty nice car for cheap with a lot of spares left over.


HEY!

I'm almost sick of looking at it enough to throw it on Craigslist.

I'd let it go for less than $2k, but not *that* much.
__________________
Craig R.
2008 9-5 Aero-1995 900T 'vert
g96nt is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #11
Elder
 
Drew in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: PA/MD
Posts: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
HEY!

I'm almost sick of looking at it enough to throw it on Craigslist.

I'd let it go for less than $2k, but not *that* much.
Yeah sorry I lowballed a little there probably, but I do think if you put the AC back in you'd expand the potential buyer pool, a leaking rear main seal also isn't a trivial thing, and no cat is a problem too. Those things combined with miles and age limit the people who might be interested I think. Do you still have the AC parts and factory DP etc?

I just sold our really nice 100% stock 2000 black Aero automatic wagon with no major problems, working AC, shiny paint, new parts, no missing pixels, for $2600 and felt like it was pretty fair. If that car had a leaking rear main seal it would've been what, maybe a $1600 car? One guy came and looked at it and noticed a small coolant leak in the end tank that I didn't know was there. He walked away even when I said I'd take $2000.00. I bought a new radiator for $150 (or something like that) and installed in 2 hours, found a buyer at $2600 the next week.
__________________
Co-Founder:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First T7 19T turbo setup. First T7 Deka 80lb. injector setup.
Drew in Houston is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #12
Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 2,522
Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
There's not a leaky main. It's a noisy TOB/Slave. It doesn't really leak anything.
I get your point, but the thing has too many new parts to start throwing more at it to get an extra $5-800 out of it. at some point, I will just start selling off parts.
The turbo, engine, and coilovers alone would sell for close to $2k


you could point to any part of the car, and the parts are <50k miles old.
__________________
Craig R.
2008 9-5 Aero-1995 900T 'vert
g96nt is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
All content is copyright The Saab Link and it's original authors.


 

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.