Exvessive Drain on Battery; TWICE disconnect - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Exvessive Drain on Battery; TWICE disconnect

Battery will not stay charged unless making long trips. After a period of short trips or no use the battery fails to start the car. Amp-meter (set on 10 amps) reads 0.13 amps (which is 130/1000 or 130 milliamps-- I think) while parked in the garage.

I pulled fuse #17 (Dice/Twice, MIU and Trionic) and the amp-meter reading dropped zero with an occasional 0.01.

Is 130 milliamps too much drain? If so how do I disconnect the hungry user and keep my dashboard electronics, main instrument unit and "Trionic"? I can live without the TWICE.

Stephen
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
TSLMember

Yes that is to much of a draw. 50mA is the spec, but it can take up to 30 mins for it to drop that low. You can't remove twice it is needed for the immobilizer to work. Before you get to involved in searching for a draw make sure you wait at least 30 mins with the amp meter installed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-12-2015, 06:20 AM   #3
SAABeginner

Thanks for the help. I did not mention that when I first connect the amp meter the reading is 2.5 and sometimes 3.0. Then the reading falls slowly over the course of 5 minutes to 0.13. I have not waited 30 minutes connected but I'll do that and report the results. Stephen

Old 10-12-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
SAABeginner

I waited 40 minutes and the reading fell to 0.01 - 0.02 which is 10 to 20 milliamps. This is well under 50mA. If the drain is below allowable limits that leaves only the storage or charging system to blame for the repeated failure to keep the battery fully charged or perhaps a drain that is not present at all times.

The battery and alternator have been checked twice (AutoZone) without any findings. The 7-year battery is 4-years old and the alternator is OGM (Mileage 68,000).

I have heard that the ignition key-lock is at times a cause of drain. This might cause the lack of pattern of the failure when combined with short trips and no-use periods.

Got any ideas?

Stephen
Old 10-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
Elder

The ignition cylinder can cause that if the lock tumbler doesn't "pop" back up when you remove the key. Make sure yours clicks up every time you remove the key. If it doesn't lubricate around the outside of the lock tumbler lightly with WD-40.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #6
SAABeginner

Thanks to both Drifting-FB and DrewP.
I've noticed that beeping (don't forget your key) continues sometimes even after I remove the key and most times it doesn't. When it continues I re-insert the key and then take it out and the beeping stops. Could be the same "pop-up" problem.

I'll lubricate and then watch the lock tumbler closely.

Stephen
Old 10-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
Elder

Yes, that's the problem.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
dice/theft warning system, excessive battery drain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in