9-5 Fuel Pump Question (1999 2.3t wagon) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Question 9-5 Fuel Pump Question (1999 2.3t wagon)

It's Sunday afternoon and is it not a beautiful day for replacing your fuel pump? After having done the research and buying a quality Bosch 69424, I depressurized the system and disconnected the battery. After successfully removing the supply and return lines, removing the threaded ring, AND extracting the assembly, I find out the original pump nipple is like 5/8 vs what I bought (1/4). Why would this be? Any thoughts or similar experience? I'll replace the hard rubber hose between the pump nipple but it has to match what it's connecting to ... right?

oh... and can someone who has done this tell me if I need submersible FI hose?

My 1.5 hr job became at least another week as I think I need to return the pump I bought via Amazon and go to the dealer.

Thanks much !!!!!!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
Elder

Dealer only will have the whole unit ( where do you find a "dealer" for these cars now anyway...

Yes you need the submersible fuel line and stainless hose clamps.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #3
SAABeginner

Thanks jssaab!

I opted to get the whole (Walbro) assembly from Eeuroparts. Reasonable price and one year warranty. I don't trust the Proparts (cheaper) option. Thanks for your input.
I replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator last night too since the system's depressurized.

Can't wait to see if this makes a big driving difference. I'm not suffering from a no-start problem but rather a lack-of-power problem. So ... after a new pump assembly, pressure regulator, CPS, Fuel Filter, and Air Filter ... I would think I would see some kind of positive difference ... unless (egad) I have throttle mechanism issues.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
SAABeginner

Back .... I really like these forums, and I'm even over feeling 'needy.'

I've gotten so much quality info that I'm sure to retain. And hopefully pass on to others. Anyway .... time for an update ............... I received a new Walbro Fuel Pump Assembly, and since I was all prepped, I was able to install it in about a half hour. After returning fuse 19 and connecting the battery, she purrs ... most of the time. My OBD reader shows a narrower RPM range than with the pump that was replaced..... but still sometimes it'll read (over the course maybe 10 minutes) between 745-935 (at the extremes) but mostly about 815-855. I know I'm finicky ... so here's my next question:

Being fairly certain these are original injectors that prolly need cleaning, is there one type that's recommended for an early SAAB 9-5 with 185K miles?

Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Injectors on these cars stay pretty clean. Idle issues are more than likely old plugs and vacuum lines, don't forget A/C cycling on and off as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
SAABeginner

Cool Beans

Thanks again ...

Recently she's been running like a top.
I am hoping to baby this vehicle to 300-400K !!!

And thank God for aftermarket sites like eEuroparts.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in