Stranded at Work: 2001 9-5 2.3 Turbo *Help!* - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
vjz
Avid TSL User

Stranded at Work: 2001 9-5 2.3 Turbo *Help!*

We purchased a very clean 2001 9-5 2.3 turbo last month. It only has 80,000 miles on it.

Thursday of this week, the car drove fine to work. When I went to leave work, the car would crank, but wouldn't start up.

In talking with others, some causes came to discussion:

--Crankshaft position sensor
--DIC

I replaced both of those, starting with the CPS. That didn't do anything.

I purchased a DIC. I put that in, and the car BRIEFLY acted like it wanted to start, but then went back to just cranking.

I had someone try to help me see if the fuel pump was priming. I had him turn the car to on with my ear to the pump, and it did not make a noise. Same with cranking. No fuel pump noises.

I checked the fuse, and it's fine.

No CEL codes because the it hasn't been driven since the problem came around Thursday.

Where do I go from here? Fuel pump? I'm already in an additional $500 since purchasing the car for stuff that has broken.

Past Saab vehicles:
--1994 900S
--1997 900SE turbo vert
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #2
vjz
Avid TSL User

Also: The tach does bump up during cranking.

DIC was not OEM, but just wanted to test it out.

We just need to get it to run.

Past Saab vehicles:
--1994 900S
--1997 900SE turbo vert

Last edited by vjz; 06-28-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
Elder

Sounds like a fuel pump...

Old 06-28-2015, 04:33 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

Your fuel pump is easily removed. Also, you can buy an insert for a fraction of the price. Just google 9 5 fuel pump removal it will take you to lots of posts about both.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:08 AM   #5
Elder

It does sound like a bad fuel pump to me too but you may consider buying or renting a fuel pressure gauge before throwing more parts at it.

If you take the plastic cover off at the throttle body, the fuel rail is right there and there's a port to plug in a gauge. Plug in the gauge and then turn the key. It takes about 30 seconds to check.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
vjz
Avid TSL User

I ordered a new fuel pump for it. I'm sure that will get here in a few days.

I swapped back the old CPS and the tach still moves up, so I'm thinking the old one was still good.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get a fuel pressure tester/gauge from the local parts store. They didn't have a rental one, and it was $45 to purchase, which I can't justify spending on if I might be able to rent a tester from a different parts store tomorrow. I was going to check other parts stores to see if I could rent one from there, but everything is pretty much closed up for the day. Worst case scenario, I have to buy it, but It's going to suck buying something I probably won't use again.

I tested the pump plug for power, and it's getting power upon the key being in the on position, as well as cranking, so the relay is presumably working.

Past Saab vehicles:
--1994 900S
--1997 900SE turbo vert

Last edited by vjz; 06-28-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:25 PM   #7
Elder

WHen you turn the ignition on you will hear the pump turn on, especially if you have the back seat up.. If you hear no humming its bad
Old 06-29-2015, 03:49 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I built a little jumper wire w/a couple spade connectors and a fuse to stick in the fuel pump relay socket for this sort of thing. But, like others have said, sounds like a fp - lucky you it's a 9-5 and not a 9-3, should be a 30 minute swap, tops. Just be VERY careful with the plastic elbows that connect the lines to the pump body itself. Might want to use a little silicone spray and a lot of gentle wiggling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #9
vjz
Avid TSL User

I've read that the pump change takes a few hours. Not sure how that's possible. Removal took about ten minutes, and installation took even less it seemed like.

The pump was most certainly bad. We didn't hear any noises, but after this new pump was installed, the pump is definitely working!

Unfortunately, we tried starting it, and it won't start. I took the battery out and it produced 410 CCA, when the battery was rated for 740 CCA.

Its charging right now, so hopefully it will get it to start with full charging capabilities. It was cranking very weakly, so here's to crossing my fingers.

If not, I'm not really sure what else it could be, unless the DIC was actually bad, and/or the CPS is bad.

While the battery is charging, I removed the DIC and spark plugs. They smell like fuel and seem to be wet (Slightly, but might just be oil from the valve cover having a small leak), but I would still like to wait for a freshly charged up battery to see what happens.

I'll find out soon whether the battery is the cause.

Any ideas if it still won't start? This car is a nightmare.

On the bright side, we flat towed the Saab home with our SUV, so we can at least work on it without traffic whizzing by.

Past Saab vehicles:
--1994 900S
--1997 900SE turbo vert

Last edited by vjz; 07-01-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #10
vjz
Avid TSL User

Well, more bad news.

Got the battery charged up, and now the fuel pump will not kick on.

This car is becoming absolutely ridiculous.

Past Saab vehicles:
--1994 900S
--1997 900SE turbo vert
Old 07-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #11
vjz
Avid TSL User

Err...scratch that. It runs now. Somehow the fuel pump plug jiggled loose? Yeah I don't know either.

Unfortunately, the car has a little bit of smoke coming up from behind the heat shield. The only thing I can see is that the CPS is leaking a little oil, the seal must have gone bad from removal/install. Probably should have kept the old one.

Any thoughts on the smoke? The CPS leak doesn't seem to be hitting the exhaust, just the block, and the smoke is more manifold based.

Past Saab vehicles:
--1994 900S
--1997 900SE turbo vert
Old 07-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Make sure the old cps o ring wasn't stuck in the block, or some other piece of debris.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo00 View Post
Make sure the old cps o ring wasn't stuck in the block, or some other piece of debris.
True true.

I had a Viggen commuter that was missing the little sheet metal guard and had a different bolt holding the CPS in place.

When I went to install a new guard the sensor wasn't seating quite right and the correct torx bolt was too short. I was like "hmm"and tried it again from a different angle, still too short, and then I was like "hmmm", tried again, still too short, and on like that for awhile.

And you know you're sort of contorted in there and can't really get at things too well or look straight into the hole. Lol finally I figured out there were two o-rings stacked on top of each other in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in