Manual Transmission Leak - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > Car Problems? 9-5 Only

Car Problems? 9-5 Only If you're experiencing problems with your 9-5, post your question in here. CEL Code or GTFO!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Manual Transmission Leak

A year or so ago I had my indie update my transmission to the newer style fluid.. shortly thereafter I noticed a small leak. Well I did an oil change this weekend and it seems like it hasn't slowed down at all and the shifting is getting notchier.. Doesn't appear to be coming from any drain plugs so I'd guess it's a gasket and maybe the new fluid is thinner. hard to figure out where it's coming from but it's all over the bottom of the transmission. I'm really not interested in pulling the transmission off to fix a gasket...

I took this pic.. there's this plug on the top that looks odd.. what's up with this and does it look like it needs some sort of attention?

Another question.. hope I don't get flamed too badly for this question.. anybody suggest a certain kind if additive that I can throw in there too slow down the leak? I'm gonna pop off fill and level plugs and top it off at a minimum.

I'm gonna set aside easter weekend to deal with this a little more seriously, so I have some time to think about this.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

The top of the transmission has a "Vent' used for venting internal pressure & Shifter alignment. The Red synthetic saab fluid 063 boils in the summer-& Recondenses on top of the transmission, This is normal if you are going to use 063. 063 works great up north, South of the mason Dixon 063 just speeds up transmission failure, Its too thin & turns to vapor in the heat. Usually I drain out Black Boiled over 063 & install normal Syncroshift or its full synthetic Amsoil version. I Don't have a This is better than that opinion, 063 is great up north, The hotter region, The faster 063 boils. That's why Trans oil viscosity needs to be regional. syncroshift synthetic version or not has a higher boiling point than 063, But since your in new York you may just want to reservice what you have with 063 or syncroshift it,
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in