Saab Link Forums banner

If you haven't cleaned your IAC....

25K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  VAGGEN 
#1 ·
Clean it now! its well worth it.

Background:
As the weather cooled down, my idle started to stick at 2krpms. Also after long trips, when stopping to pay tolls and whatnot, my car would stall out. I thought that was the extent of the problems.

How to: Sorry no pics. T5 ng900.
Remove plastic engine cover.
unscrew hoseclamps on either side.
AIC valve should be soup can sized thing just to the left of throttle body.
Peal hoses of either end.
Remove electrical connection, just squeze fitting and slide off.
Pull AIC and rubber bushing straight up.
Clean out with carb cleaner, and give a small shot of oil I used Penetrating oil.
Reinstall.

Not only did this cure my cold high idle off throttle, The car has never ran smoother. It doesn't even feel like its running at stops, and this is with a catless dp and saabsport. It also feels like it shifts better, probably because the rpms drop faster with the clutch in.

Seriosly if you haven't taken the time, its worth it. Its only a 30min job, and you only need a flathead screwdriver and some carb cleaner.​

See less See more
#5 ·
BLÜE 9-3se said:
Stooopid questions... IAC or AIC valve? What is it and what does it do?
AIC=IAC... "Automatic Idle Control"

basicaly controls the ammount of air going into the engine while you are idling. If you turn on the A/C, that puts a strain on the engine and without the AIC, the engine would most likely stall. When demand for the engine is greater, the AIC opens and lets more air in the engine to raise the RPM's a bit in order to keep up with the demand for engine power (A/C, rad fan, seat heaters...etc..)

#8 ·
well you Mr. aero with your T7 :lol: Dont have one, instead since your throttle body is electronic, the computer can just alter the throttle angle, and can control idle that way.

#10 ·
Passion4_900 said:
AIC=IAC... "Automatic Idle Control"

basicaly controls the ammount of air going into the engine while you are idling. If you turn on the A/C, that puts a strain on the engine and without the AIC, the engine would most likely stall. When demand for the engine is greater, the AIC opens and lets more air in the engine to raise the RPM's a bit in order to keep up with the demand for engine power (A/C, rad fan, seat heaters...etc..)
Thanks for the explanation! I am sure mine could use a good cleaning... every now and then I can feel the car "kick down" a notch, if you know what I mean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.