Saab Link Forums banner

gear oil / transmission oil

28K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  srp 
#1 ·
Did a quick search on this, couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I lost a little oil when removing my passenger side axle + shaft. I plan on putting the new axle in and need to top off the gear oil.. what is the gear oil I need to get? In my manual it lists a manual transmission oil, and then it lists a gear oil... so which do I need? Can anyone throw me the eeuro link as well?

Thanks.

#7 ·
Aha cool, thanks. Is it just fill it up till its at the top or? I am assuming there is no difference between a 9-3 trans and an NG trans. Especially since your's is hydraulic too.

#13 ·
There is a check plug by the drivers side axle shaft as well.
Oil level should be even with the hole. I just fill to the correct amount(1.8 litres; 1.9 quarts) and top off slowly till it starts to leak out of the check hole.

Courtesy of GenuineSaab.com:

#15 · (Edited)
Exactly what I needed to know, how much it takes. If it is only 1.9 quarts then I will just drain and refill with all new fluid.

So what is the best for these tranny's, and what weight do most of you run?

Thanks guys.

EDIT - just read the GS link there, seems to answer all questions. It does state to use "87 48 733" which results in this: http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=93165414

My transmission is from a 2001 9-3 I believe. So after searching on eeuro for a 2001 9-3, it said get this: (the MTF0063)

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=93165290

So I guess follow the GS procedure, but use the MTF instead?

#16 ·
Some of the peeps are liking the Redline MTF (not shockproof or MTL). Even Nick stated that it felt better than MT0063 (linky). I'm using it right now and it works awesome. So long as it's GL-4 as our cars use brass synchros. I have a box full of Amsoil fluid I want to try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.