Saab Link Forums banner

Maine bans performance exhausts.

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  TunnanXWD 
#1 ·
Sounds like any Borla or Magnaflow exhaust will be in the can. :(

#5 ·
Is the MA aftermarket exhaust bill still trying to be passed? They can't be illegal in Mass due to the number of super loud trucks I have seen.

#7 ·
My concern is that it will spread like wildfire to other states.

If ... "The Great State of Maine" ... does it CT and NY will probably jump on board.

Vote with my feet? Hell, if my health was better Maine was where I was considering moving to escape the NJ taxes, gun laws, taxes and did I mention taxes. Used to be that Mass was bad but now we are over $15,000 and when you are retired that is bad news.

No, this at first glance is a joke till it sets in and you realize that it's you next.

My guess is that it was aimed at the Harley and Ricer Fart Can crowd but the fallout is going to put a dent in a lot of places pocket books.

I have owned a few Harley and other bikes but those idiots brought this down on all of us. One of the deciding factors in selling my first home was that I lived near a destination ride spot. I learned to hate nice sunny summer days because I could not hear myself think. There is nothing like the sound of a "Hawg" with open pipes dragging it up the hill in second gear. I was getting ready to put a stick through the spokes. Now where I live they have "rides" every weekend where they think (note word think), they can stop traffic and run stop signs.

#8 ·
Sorry soccer, it was over on a very straight up Corvair site. Many of the guys are into performance mods and this has a lot of folks upset.

It sounds like there is no middle ground, it's OEM type or ticket.

Now, this is interesting because here in NJ we are changing MV inspection requirements. The only thing DMV will be inspecting is emissions. I assume that will leave all other items to the local PD or State officers.

There used to be a requirement that all equipment have an SAE approval and I got nailed for that a few times when I was a kid. Yeah, Lucas Flamethrowers are not a legal substitute for stock high beams. My bad.

But in Newark and Elizabeth, I used to see lots of pimp rides and stuff with purple tail lights and junk like that and the locals ignoring it. That in itself is going to be a shock because out where I live the locals will ticket kids for having even license plate brackets that partly obscure the state name. Yeah, my wife had been driving the Saab 900 since 1995 with no problem but when my kid started driving it it suddenly became illegal.

#10 ·
Fellow claims the law is in effect. Locals have been issued DB meters, now how can they tell the stock (sound of a) muffler from a 67 Vette with side pipes is another issue but, he said one guy was issued a ticket for his fart can Subbie.

He also said that a checkpoint was put up for bikes.

#11 ·
DB limits have been around for a while from place to place. But an all out ban on aftermarket exhaust has not.

The law would have to allow for older vehicles that can no longer find stock exhaust too.

#12 ·
The law went into effect on July 10 and I just read a notice from the Maine SP Traffic Unit.

Basically the notice said not to panic. If your exhaust is noticeably louder than a stock exhaust you are probably going to get a ticket.

In other words, how I read this ... if I was stupid enough to pull up to a Maine trooper and shift down and rev the hell out of my (former) Corvette's Borla, I would be dumb enough to get a ticket.

Just cruising by him (or her), I would not even get a raised eyebrow. My Borla was the most mild but had a nice growl.

#15 ·
thell never pass it, because there are to many OEM style replacements that are from"aftermarket" companies.. i dont want to go to the dealership to get new pipes for my car and pay dealership prices.

more importantly, what will cars that no longer have OEM PArts available do>?

these bills never pass

#17 ·
Law went into effect on July 10 and there has been some enforcement.

A letter from Maine SP Traffic said that essentially if you not attracting their attention you won't be noticed. Translation I suppose it that the if you are not an idiot don't worry about it.

Just FWIW, my wife had a dead stock 1989 900 (non turbo), and it failed for an allegedly loud exhaust. This nit-wit beech tagged me coming in every time till I produced a letter and a business card from two different muffler shops indicating that I did not need nor was it an altered exhaust. When I requested a supervisorand produced the papers the "noise" magically disappeared.

This was not a state employee, this was a Parsons (private sector), "inspector".

#19 ·
Tell me about it, it is illegal to even have an intake in California. Does that stop us? Nope, not even close. It is laughable about the fact that some of the things that are illegal in CA can yield better emissions and fuel economy, although there are CARB legal aftermarket parts like supercharger kits but that basically means that the emissions controls are untouched.

#20 ·
Alaska FTW! A state where a vehicle as this one can be street legal:

There are very few things you can't do to a car here, but that means I see purple headlights, painted tail lights, fully tinted front windshields and other crazy things here day in day out.

Just make sure you are not driving with studded tires in the summer...

#21 ·
Those laws are to keep the tree huggers feeling like they are needed. Independent shops are always out to rob women. Always bring the wifs or girlfriends car for inspection and make sure they no what you are talking about. That stops them from trying to rob you. Experience

#23 ·
well, I live in ME, and I verify part of it, they have banned custom/aftermarket/performance exhausts, but only on motorcycles, I did hear that their trying to ban them on cars, but since I have performance exhaust on our jeep and saab, and a lot of people in maine in general have big chevy and dodge trucks that they tune, lift, and make louder, it won't pass. It's such a stupid law, but it's like Maine trying to pass an emissions test law a couple years back like california. Basically everyone in Maine drives cars that wouldn't pass emissions specs in cali, but everyone basically said you pass that law, and we'll leave the state!! haha no laws like that can pass in maine, everyone has guns up here so you know, insurance!! haha

#25 ·
Mainers play by a different set of rules. The first time I was in the car with my kid after he took drivers ed in ME, I was not freaked but "whadinn fudge are you doing?" because he was doing these rolling stops at stop signs. He learned it in driving school and sure enough when I started to notice, everybody does it. I mean why STOP for a stop sign?

:confused: :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.