Saab Link Forums banner

Wrappin' the delivery pipe

3K views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  SaabScott 
#1 ·
Should I wrap my delivery pipe?

I have the morning off and a few extra bucks.

And by wrap, I mean with some sort of heat shield tape...

Anyone?

#27 ·
That's an interesting point. There is some weird theories on who has unpainted areas and who doesn't. I really don't remember, but I think mine was fully painted underneath. I know mg_td's is. But most other people have the big spot that is just primer. Who knows....

#28 ·
stromer said:
That's an interesting point. There is some weird theories on who has unpainted areas and who doesn't. I really don't remember, but I think mine was fully painted underneath. I know mg_td's is. But most other people have the big spot that is just primer. Who knows....
Yeah...green 95 9k CSE had some nasty looking primer under there. I'm not about to find out on my silver Aero though.

#29 ·
mcrowley said:
stromer said:
Yeah...green 95 9k CSE had some nasty looking primer under there. I'm not about to find out on my silver Aero though.
I think mine is all painted underneath... You can just take a couple tabs off from the top and take a peak under neath to the paint, if you want to put it back just plug them back in... I did this like 2 months ago when I was going to do it... It was sure dirty... probably will take mine off in the spring, after the winter's over and see how I like it.

#30 ·
im going to take mine off.... been thinking about it for a while. because if there is any "paint cracking" it doesnt matter anyways i was always going to get it re-painted and the badge shaved.... but now i wrecked my hood so it doesnt matter anyways! its just a little warped... nothing major... so i will do a test with this hood... and then when i get the new one i will know... and if it is primered i will know to get the underside painted of the new hood when i get it re-painted... prob. do that this weekend if i dont forget.... i will tell you how it goes.... maybe the BOV will be even louder! :shock:

#31 ·
Saab93cse said:
mcrowley said:
stromer said:
I think mine is all painted underneath... You can just take a couple tabs off from the top and take a peak under neath to the paint, if you want to put it back just plug them back in... I did this like 2 months ago when I was going to do it... It was sure dirty... probably will take mine off in the spring, after the winter's over and see how I like it.
I'd bet that its got a square of just primer under there. The part that wasn't painted underneath mine was small (2' x 2' maybe), but stuck out like a sore thumb. Be careful taking those plastic rivets out, they're a bitch to get back in and the insulation will tear easily if you pull to hard trying to get them out.

#34 ·
Ok, So I wrapped my delivery pipe.

Funny story too.

A few coworkers and I decide to grab a beer after work. One of my managers wants to carpool.

She is kind of skinny and gets cold easy.

I say "I have leather heated seats" and she's in the car with a smile.

"I've never been in a saab before" she says. "Really?" I say.

After some chit-chat and a mile or so, we are headed up an entrance ramp.
From that passenger seat comes, "ooh, your car is fast"

I was in first gear at the time. I shift into second. And put it to the floor.

The only thing louder than the "POP" of the delivery pipe flying off at the throttle body, was my swearing.

Good thing I had a head lamp and the wrenches in my pocket.

Shit.

Anyway, here is the pictures:

#35 ·
Ok, So I wrapped my delivery pipe.

Funny story too.

A few coworkers and I decide to grab a beer after work. One of my managers wants to carpool.

She is kind of skinny and gets cold easy.

I say "I have leather heated seats" and she's in the car with a smile.

"I've never been in a saab before" she says. "Really?" I say.

After some chit-chat and a mile or so, we are headed up an entrance ramp.
From that passenger seat comes, "ooh, your car is fast"

I was in first gear at the time. I shift into second. And put it to the floor.

The only thing louder than the "POP" of the delivery pipe flying off at the throttle body, was my swearing.

Good thing I had a head lamp and the wrenches in my pocket.

Shit.

Anyway, here are the pictures:

#37 ·
maybe i missed this, but where did you get that wrap?

it looks much better than the tin foil looking wrap ive seen before, i usually see that wrap on exhausts but im sure it works just as well.

#47 ·
I wrapped my intake pipe some time ago ... and just removed it.
I had also wrapped the pipe that held the turbo silencer (thereby negating any additional noise gains :roll: ).

Has it made any difference?
Hard to tell as it hasn't been mych above freezing lately ...
Perhaps I will have to test this out in the summer again ... although I'm leaning towards not doing anything ...

This is what it looked like ... kinda crappy if you ask me, but the result should have met the target ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.