Saab Link Forums banner

Saab 9-5 SE V6 performance

10K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Dudethe9-5isfast 
#1 ·
TRYING to find performance parts for a 2000 9-5. I am DEAD SET on building a V6 car but cant seem to find any parts...
HELP?!

#2 ·
Hey, saw the post the first time in the other 9-5 forum. Posting the same message in more than one location on the forum is not looked upon kindly.

That aside, the B308E was designed to be an economical motor with the torque of asymmetric turbocharging. Modifying this car will require some interesting thought outside of the box. Start with basics like an open intake and an uprated turbo bypass valve. From there, you may look into having a custom exhaust crafted for the car.

Good luck whatever you do!

#8 ·
Yeah, how about making it a twin turbo engine to start with. I know it's crowded on the back side of the engine and getting rid of the heat would be another issue, but two smaller turbos, dual exhaust, bigger injectors, open intake, remapping the ECU and other mods could wake up that engine. I had a 9-5 SE wagon I bought for my X in 2002 with that engine and immediately wanted to tap into it's potential.

#3 · (Edited)
9-5 V6 and performance are a total contradiction in terms, as a result there is little in the way of performance add-ons available.

I've seen some tastefully modded V6s with suspension and exhaust work done to them but there really isn't much for the engine you can do.

Has anyone played with T7 suite for one of these cars?

#4 ·
BSR makes a solid stage 2 tune for it, check out youtube for some footage of the acceleration. Other than that, you might have to be innovative and that might lead to finding the performance limits of the V6. I support you doing that though because many people thought my car with an automatic transmission at 280whp would kill the transmission in weeks, but it has been almost two years without a hitch so just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it won't work.

#7 ·
Well I decided I am NOT good enough to delve into custom parts.. So the V6 car is now the commuter. I have purchased a 1992 9000 5spd. for $2500. This weekend will see the entire AC system removed, larger turbo and intercooler pipes, cone, cold air style intake, purge valve, 3 inch down pipe, exhaust. Have removed EVERYTHING from the back of the front seats back down to bare metal. SUPER sleeper. pics will be up soon, Thanks for the advice guys, guess I'll be moving to the 9000 forums now lol

#10 ·
My mechanic posed the twin turbo idea, he offered to build the parts, as long as my car would be the test mule, he offered to fix anything that blew up, and I got to keep the parts after testing was done. BUT, the 9-5 (FOR NOW) will remain mostly factory. Thanks for the ideas guys!

#15 ·
The B308 V6 has many limitations at over stock HP.
I can address one of them - the 4 speed autobox.
The 4 cyl and the 6 Cyl share the same 4 speed autobox from 99 through 2001.
I tuned my 4 cyl autobox to 290hp and didn't have any tranny issues for the 4 years with this tune. ( frequent tranny oil was one safety issues addresses). Since selling the car detuned to stage 2, the car has had an additional 2 years without tranny issues.
Caviots ..... never did burn outs or full speed accelerations on bumpy roads that could cause wheel hop and torque spikes. Nevertheless did plenty of WOT 40mph+ drags to educate non Saab owners to respect the griffin....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.