Saab Link Forums banner

Suspension colour (rating)?

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Sev7n007 
#1 ·
Does anybody know what the tension scale is that corresponds with the colours?
I'm guessing that yellow is the lower tension (softer) but I would like to find out the the higher scale (harder).
I have a base b235e which is yellow so i'm guessing it's at the lower tier.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Yellow low Red high?

I guess from more investigating I think that red is normally used for "arc", and "aero" models. Is this colour strut reserved only for the highest tension?
hopefully somebody can help me understand the suspension colour code. It would be greatly appreciated Kinda want to get a little suspension work done before i go for any more power. Thanks in advance..

#4 ·
I think he is....

Sev, IIRC, there are three spring sets, the stiffest being for the Aero. Things get fuzzy without part numbers because the SE model springs may correspond to the Arc...or the base model.

You need to have the year and model, and the VIN handy.

#5 · (Edited)
do you mean the colours very depending on year?

Let me get this striaght so colours are diffrent depending on the year?
I understand that they pertain for applications....example. Red for "arc's" and "se's". Correct me if i'm wrong but arc's and se's ( meaning aero's)
I'm looking at swapping in some "red" struts that is coming off a 99 9-5 se
(3.0l v6). I'm thinking since it's from a "arc" or "SE" from that year with the v6 it would be stiff, like aero stiff. (meaning the red struts)

#6 ·
I am pretty sure the Aero's have their own springs. They didn't share with any of the other trim levels I believe. That was one of the perks of getting an Aero; more power, better suspension, a few more options. If I were you, I would get the Aero Springs, Shocks, and Struts if you want a stiffer, but not too stiff of ride.

#7 ·
What year is your car? eEuroparts.com sells the 01 entire Aero suspension setup as a package, including both sway bars and all the bushings and everything to put on any 99-01 for $700. I thought that was pretty nifty, I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but that seems like a decent price to me.

#8 ·
hmmmmm....

Maybe what i should ask is what year did the aero come in at ? I have a 99 9-5 and i think, correct me if i'm wrong that the se and arc's where the only models to select from in that year range. The question i was asking is the struts i am getting are from a 99 "se" with the 3.0l v6. I was thinking that would have been aero status from but the aero didn't come in till "01".
Also whether or not those springs off that model "se" were the stiff-ist one's out?

#10 ·
I think ........

I think i am going with the red's i found for a good price. I am pretty sure there aero- esk. either or i have a feeling that my yellows are the softest one's that where offered i have a very base 9-5 the only real luxary upgrade on it is the climate controle. (dual zone)
Other wise it's a b235e.
So i guess if noone can explame to me what the colours are in stiffness ranges then this thread just might be over.
Thanks guys

#12 ·
all black hmmm......

Its kinda wierd cause i don't believe there was a official aero model in the U.S model till after 2000. What i am fightin with is the fact that i think there was only Se models or arc's. So the 9-5 i am getting my struts from has the 3.0L
v6 guessing that was the pre aero setup.
Can anyone else shead some light on this dilema?

#14 ·
I'm sorry thanks

Maybei should have been a bit more specific. The suspension i am getting is from a 99 se with a 3.0L v6 was there aero for the first two years or did they just start in 2000?
And what engine did your aero come with a 4cylinder or the 6?

#15 ·
Aero's are all 4cyl with TD04 turbo's. There was no 99 Aero, so no Aero suspension in 99. I do, however, believe that the suspension in the V6 was slightly beefier up front to compensate for the additional weight.

I can't find anything to back this up right now... but I certainly recall reading something along those lines when researching interchangeability of the front suspension between 99-01 models and 02+ models.

#16 ·
Good looking out....

That was the same street i was heading. I was thinking the same thing giving the fact that it had the 6 instead of the 4 (cylinders). So i would think I would be getting a bit more out of them than the manu's specific to my vin.
I got two right now that are going for like nothing and i'm thinking i just might go shoping this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.