Saab Link Forums banner

6 speed that's not Quaife !!!!

9K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  renizer 
#1 ·
Hi to every one...a little while back I was reading Nick Taliaferro's ' Gearbox Ramblings ' and quote
' F40 is the 6 speed in the new 9-3. It is a very robust gearbox with TWO output pinion shafts! this is part of the reason they are quite noisy and clunky. It only in the new ecotec bolt pattern.'If you can find one of the super rare euro diesel 6 versions it will bolt up to the B2x5/4 engines.''

Has anybody anymore information on this box...what will it handle in bhp and and torque etc..is it really a straight forward and worth while mod..?..As mentioned it'll bolt up to the B204l...I'll maybe be using a 206 block so dont see this causing any probs and really dont want to go the expense of the quaife presently but maybe in the not so far distant future..:cool:

#2 · (Edited)
been there, but not done that!

Been there!
It is not such a "bolt-on" swap! It will fit with the B205/B235 engine, but with different mounts on the car. It is manageable!
On the other hand, the shifter is not a bar (like on B205/B235), but two cables => gears shifter change. Seems there is a short shifter for the F40 from Nick T. (http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/...d=615&osCsid=e92d6655028c1fe76b193b02114efa90), Nick, can you please confirm it fits the F40 Saab gearbox?
Then, the left driveshaft must be a little longer. There are a couple of ways to do it...
Furthermore, you will need a new clutch, maybe another flywheel and definetelly another LSD, since the F25 Quaife is different than the F40 one.
There are some step-by-step instructions, but...
I am thinking this mod for some months now (see my post http://www.saablink.net/forum/showpost.php?p=660784&postcount=1)
Best to you, if you dedice to walk a hard path!
:)

#5 ·
Most certainly have been reading your post...and thanks for the candor...the mods seem quite straight forward and I'll take it the uprights will also be an issue..?..makes the quaife more of an option though as I doubt the 2.2 diesel box will be capable of high power anyway which was really my original question. I'll have time later to follow your posts with interest and possibly gain more info rather than asking here. Take it your on a rather high output engine to be considering quaife and such mods also...as I said I'll be reading your post with interest a little later...

#7 ·
reason?

who needs a reason for a mod/upgrade/uprate/tuning?
:) :) :p :p :) :)
On a more serious line, 6 speeds really improve the car`s performances (especially over 350HP) and the gearbox is more resistent than the F25.
I won`t seek/search any other reason. Seems it is one of the "grown-up boys" mod, not stickers & decals kids :)
In a more personal tone: me wants!

#12 ·
lot of info available

As much as I like you guys here and at SC, my big regret is that I don`t talk swedish! They have loads and tons of infos regarding SAABs and SAAB tuning. Whatever mod/tune you want...name it and they already DID IT!

9-3 ss nav on 9-3 old gen? DONE!
6 speeds F40 on 9-3 old gen? DONE!

and so on....
Actually, those guys drive +500 HP SAABs regulary!
By chance, a Romanian guy (very freindly and helpfull) is living in Sweeden and he gives me some technical details. AND I MEAN TECHNICAL DETAILS!

I will keep you posted on this F40 story on my car (is it a Vigg?), in the thread "my project" :)

#15 ·
Trans

I've been watching all this trans talk. The diesel 6 spd final drive ratio is different than the petrol, I assume, so that daily driving would require being in a lower gear (5th or 4th) unless the petrol ratio is installed. Maybe I'm wrong and the deisel has a much lower top speed (mph/kph) but If I'm right you'll be able to break the 200 MPH barrier with your higher revving petrol engine. You can go to all the bother with changing the final drive ratio, if necessary, and the mounts, axle shaft, flywheel, and bell housing. All these issues can't be worth the time and money when Nick prefers the convential transmission he uses. We call this re-inventing the wheel over here and all I can say is that I wish I had all the time and money that goes into projects like yours. I wish you well in your endeavor to build a one of a kind Saab.

#16 ·
I've been watching all this trans talk. The diesel 6 spd final drive ratio is different than the petrol, I assume, so that daily driving would require being in a lower gear (5th or 4th) unless the petrol ratio is installed. Maybe I'm wrong and the deisel has a much lower top speed (mph/kph) but If I'm right you'll be able to break the 200 MPH barrier with your higher revving petrol engine. You can go to all the bother with changing the final drive ratio, if necessary, and the mounts, axle shaft, flywheel, and bell housing. All these issues can't be worth the time and money when Nick prefers the convential transmission he uses. We call this re-inventing the wheel over here and all I can say is that I wish I had all the time and money that goes into projects like yours. I wish you well in your endeavor to build a one of a kind Saab.
That's why I mentioned it makes a Quaife seem more feasable and it's difficult having the luxury of Nick's expertise when I'm in Northern Ireland even though he does seem to give a lot of his experience free of charge here and elsewhere...maybe I'll be using that upright milling machine sooner than I thought...maybe one day I'll get a tutorial pm'd to me...HINT HINT.....lol...

#18 ·
I run stock gearing in both of my NG/9-3s they seem to be pretty fast. ;)

Thats not to say that with a $4500 gearbox that it wouldn't run 10s on the gt30 but thats not really reasonable. Thats the easy way. Making the hardware there work right is harder but in the end going faster with less says something about the hardware package. Going 6 speed because it's "cool" is not the right way.. I don't like wasting money where it wont be needed.

#19 ·
Zackly

I run stock gearing in both of my NG/9-3s they seem to be pretty fast. ;)

Thats not to say that with a $4500 gearbox that it wouldn't run 10s on the gt30 but thats not really reasonable. Thats the easy way. Making the hardware there work right is harder but in the end going faster with less says something about the hardware package. Going 6 speed because it's "cool" is not the right way.. I don't like wasting money where it wont be needed.
Zackly

#25 ·
Hi to every one...a little while back I was reading Nick Taliaferro's ' Gearbox Ramblings ' and quote
' F40 is the 6 speed in the new 9-3. It is a very robust gearbox with TWO output pinion shafts! this is part of the reason they are quite noisy and clunky. It only in the new ecotec bolt pattern.'If you can find one of the super rare euro diesel 6 versions it will bolt up to the B2x5/4 engines.''
Is this the gearbox?

Part number: 12 785 896
Usage: D223L, FM 6A301

#28 ·
sorry for awakening F40 threads back from the dead but....

it seems to me the F40 has a removeable bellhousing. it would seem then, that you could change this bellhousing at say, an ecotec F40, to mate to the B2x5 engine.

further more, i found this in EPC, saying that the bellhousing is the same for all the TiD diesel engines?? Z19 being the 1.9 TiD as well as the D223L (Y22DTR in opel speak)... is that a mistake in there?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.