Saab Link Forums banner

My Dilemma: Hatchback or Sedan??

9K views 78 replies 30 participants last post by  Smaart Aas Saabr 
#1 ·
Heres my problem. I'm looking for a c900.

There inlays my problem. Either a hatchback, or a sedan. This was going to be a summer project (T5 hint hint), but I can't figure out what to get, sedan or hatch. It would a daily driver, take it to school etc. From what I've been told the sedans handle better, and are more stable, you're able to fit 5 people in a bit more comfortable then a hatch. The up side to a hatch is you can fit more crap in it. Thats awesome. Also they look sooooo much more cool then a sedan. But its more awkward for passengers of more then 1 or 2. (Aero seats would most likely be going in too). I look at what kind of driving I do, and what my needs are, but they are split.

Thats all fine and dandy but, god, let me tell you, if I ever see one more c900 'vert on CL I'll kill myself. Legitimately there are about 15 verts up on CL here in New England. There are a couple hatches, and ZERO sedans. Carl has graciously offered his c900 sedan, but I'm looking to do the whole T5 project myself, you know, to learn and stuff. yeah I'm willing to travel to find the perfect car, but I cant make up my mind......

Sedan or Hatch?

#4 ·
Oh thats another thing.

89-on.

I've been told about the improvements in the later years, and will be needing them for the T5/powar output it will hopefully have..

#5 ·
For the most part I'm leaning towards a sedan. But for the life of my I can't find any that are worthy for sale.

#10 ·
hatches can definantly haul a LOT more then a sedan.... correct, both seats fold down the same however with a sedan you still have the back shelf & also back window which cuts into what can be hauled.

I have owned both (several SPG's & 1 86 900s 4dr, my 1st saab) & I prefer the hatches. The small doors on the sedans I do not like.....

Handling wise not sure, I would think the only way to tell which handles better is on a track. Street driving I highly doubt you can see any difference.

If you want aero seats then a hatch is a PITA for putting people in the back, they just take forever to lean forward....

#11 ·
Yeah.

I just can't figure out whats more important, hauling more people, or hauling more crap.

I do love the look of the hatch more then the sedan, plus they aren't as hard to come by.

#13 ·
The 8 foot couch and all of the other furniture that I have picked up abandoned with my old '89 hatch is proof of that. I used to keep a red flag in the car for anything hanging out of the back.

#22 ·
http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/1237932724.html

with a little work this could be a good car i was going to pick it up but i need another car like a hole in the head

i currently have both the hatch and the sedan the hatch you can do soooo much more with and looks better, but since i have a kid its easier to get her in and out of the sedan, and there is a noticeable different feel in the stiffness of the sedan

#23 ·
Carl's 4-door.

I've decided that I need a c900 too. I personally am going to look for a hatch, as I have owned a 4-door before.

#24 ·
Hurm, the tides are turning.

I looked into that 90 turbo in RI. Looks like it may need a bit more work then presented. it also looks like there was a poorly done rust patch over the rear drivers side wheel well. Not even painted over.

#26 ·
Not physically, but I've spoken with the owner and seen a good amount of pictures.

and its white, bleh.

#28 ·
I think it's easier to find 4-door turbos that don't have rust issues, but I easily prefer the hatchbacks. The problem though, is that actually finding a hatchback without serious body or underbody rust for under 1k is very challenging (unless you want to travel far south or west). So, if you're on a budget, probably 4-door. If not, hatchback all the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.