The Saab Link Forums - View Single Post - My Verona -- 1973 99LE 2-door (Verona Green)
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
My Verona -- 1973 99LE 2-door (Verona Green)

I looked at this '73 99 near my house yesterday, advertised on Craigslist:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/715094003.html

and I went back today and bought it.

The good news is the car has 91,000 original miles, and is astonishingly rust free for a MN car. The only real rust problem on the whole car is the typical door bottom rust. The rest of the body is shockingly OK.

It starts and idles (after the vacuum hose to the distributor was hooked up, the old gas was drained and some new gas put in).

I was able to drive it up and down the seller's driveway. The brakes stick after the first application. Yesterday they were still sticking, but this morning I banged the brake master with a wrench and they loosened up enough for the 100 foot test drive. Whether that's the brake master or just 24 hours for the calipers to unstick, I do not know.

The turn signal dash light sucks power even when the turn signals are not activated. You have to pull the fuse for that circuit or the battery will run down. Apparently that's a fault in the turn signal relay, which I will need to replace.

On Monday, I'm going to have it towed to my office building parking lot. The basic agenda is getting it to run and drive enough to be mobile, change all the fluids, and then wax the living daylights out of it.

I'll have to redo the brake master and calipers to have any real confidence in driving the car, but I hope I can get it mobile before doing that -- to get it in and out of the garage for some weekend wrenching.

Here are the obligatory pics -- more and better pics after I take possession on Monday:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GA is offline   Reply With Quote