Saab Link Forums banner

Fuel Consumption

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Saab99Super 
#1 ·
I have a '97 900SE 2.0 Turbo 4dr.. I'm wondering what kind of mpg's folks get around town. I'm in NY, Long Island, about 40miles East of Mid Town NYC. So traffic does get very heavy here. My milage, local driving is like 12mpg.. That's going 6 to 10 blocks, shut it off, 5 min. later, start and go a short distance. Like that, alot of short trips, alot of traffic lights. @12 mpg sound right? Seems low, but maybe? Hwy, say 60mph I'll get way better 26+ mpg. I always use 93octane, don't beat on it. Another thing I notice is that these 16inch rims are not realistic for beat up winter city roads. You feel every bump with this car already. Got a feeling sooner or later....I'm gonna bash a dent in one of them.

#2 ·
That mileage sounds about right to me. Possibly try filters and plugs and it may get a little better.

As far as the wheels go try getting a hold of a set of 15" wheels. The ride will soften up a bit and the car will handle snow a lot better than with the 16's.

#12 ·
My 96 900 does about 20-22 mixed city/rural and 25-26 highway.
I average about 20mpg in the city if I'm driving civil, 16 or so if I'm driving like an ass. On the highway going 75-80mph I average at about 32mpg, give or take a tiny bit.

I reset my SID display for average MPG after every fill up, and typically, total average mpg ends up being around 24-25mpg.
Yikes, I get an average of 29mpg after resetting the SID and driving for an entire gas tank (rural/city). I've seen 32-33mpg on the highway in the aero, one time i averaged 35 on a 3 hour trip up north just to see how good I could get it. The lowest I've ever recorded was 26, and that was after driving it like an asshat for a few hundred miles.

The vert gets even better mileage, with an average of about 32mpg. 35 on the highway is typical (top up) and take away 2-4mpg for top down driving :p.

#5 ·
Yeah, I get around 20mpg around downtown SLC. Half of my driving is going up a steep ass hill, too, because that's where my dorm is.
Back in Kansas City, I used to get 27mpg with about 70highway/30city driving on a stock ECU. Stage 3 brought it up to 30mpg for that same mixture, and I got 32mpg going from Kansas City to SLC averaging about 75-80mph.

#6 ·
Goodness. I'm glad Va Bch isnt as congested as your location. Its congested, but not to the point i get 12mpg.

I average about 20mpg in the city if I'm driving civil, 16 or so if I'm driving like an ass. On the highway going 75-80mph I average at about 32mpg, give or take a tiny bit.

I reset my SID display for average MPG after every fill up, and typically, total average mpg ends up being around 24-25mpg.

#9 ·
I run premium, and my 9-3 thanks me when I smash the pedal.

My bike, my car and my fiancee's car all run premium. fun.

#11 ·
I run premium, and my 9-3 thanks me when I smash the pedal.

My bike, my car and my fiancee's car all run premium. fun.
It's fine to run them, but as I said there's not really much benefit to it unless you're running higher boost i.e. a tuned ECU. Higher octane is mostly just higher resistance to knock, unless you're going up to 100octane+.
Either way, it's your car. You can run what you please.

#16 ·
most of the time, 87 vs 91 is 10-15 cents per gal. difference here.

on 10 gallons thats only a buck or two, why not?

#21 ·
I thought the higher stage tunes messed with the sid mileage due to the larger injectors.

I think it uses number of injecter fires over distance to calculate mileage. I may be wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.