Saab Link Forums banner

What is happening to TSL?!?!?!

5K views 78 replies 33 participants last post by  saabsbreakdown 
#1 ·
TSL is my favorite Saab site due the fact that everyone is laid back and the people here rock. I don't know how many times I have had a bad day and came on here only to find something that almost made me piss myself it was so funny. Lately I feel we have been caught up in politics. This weekend I really didn't check the Link at all because I didn't have my laptop. Now every time I check its like I see the he said she said bull shit. I don't know I just don't like the vibe that TSL has been giving off lately...

End Rant

#12 · (Edited)
Do you mean both those names together, or one or the other? Would you care to elaborate on the origins of that choice? ;)

Back on topic, I don't know that I have felt a different vibe here lately. The only thing I notice is that there isn't a whole lot of new posting happening, at least not in the 9000 forums. I take partial credit for this myself, because I have a lot of projects going on, some already finished, which I could have documented and shared. I just seem really short on time lately. Also, people just aren't seeming to post many issues with which I have knowledge. Come on people, if you are going to break your cars, do it in ways about which I know!! :)

I certainly welcome the growth of this site. I think it has the most potential of all the Saab sites I have visited, but is a bit lacking on content. By that, I don't mean on/off topic posting, but rather the amount of information you can retrieve for any given topic through a search.

Has anyone ever thought about adding a 'Garage' to this site?

#8 ·
I think there are quite a few people who want the site to be more user friendly as it grows, and it would be nice to have some valuable info on here rather than 50% of the threads being about Chaturday, or people adding all sorts of comments to legitimate threads.

I think a lot of people have take shit off topic, sometimes to the extreme, but there is a lot of non-useful posting that goes on. And recently a lot of doubling up on threads. If stuff goes completely unregulated there will be 15 "can I turbocharge my NA such and such," and "WTB a BOV for my T7 for $30," or "How do I add a boost gauge?"

Eventually people need to learn to utilize the info already on saabnet, and in some respect people need to keep the legitimate threads on topic.

Half of me really likes being sarcastic, however the other half understands the the people running this site really want it to take off and become a valuable resource for saab-folk, and turn into a site that is more user friendly for newcomers.

#9 ·
I agree that TSL is growing at a rapid rate, which is great. And as JK pointed out we need to build our knowledge base and cut out the redundant threads. I am all for the funny threads but we need serious threads too. When we balance the off topic and on topic info on TSL we will have something that other Saab sites don't have.

Just my 2 cents...

#14 ·
I appreciate the fact that some people realize what we're trying to do here, without us forcing it upon everyone. We still must "prune" accordingly in order to achieve the long term goals of TSL. JK hit it on the head with where we are trying to lead TSL.

This is not solely a social forum, nor is strictly informative... but its important that we have a good mix of both. While the internet is not serious, the time, support and information we and the members of this forum have put together is very real. Its about time that people understand that and respect it.

#16 ·
Lets keep this on topic, since it is an on topic post.

#20 ·
Man o man drew stirring the pot a little more eh!!??!! j/k :) ;)

On topic (i hope) I came to the link (from central) because it is so much more active. I like the social part better. There are always new posts, and stuff to look at. At first I just went to the NG forums, now I click the new posts button which I find MUCH more rewarding. There is so much saab stuff shared accross the models. Plus, I like that I can post a question and a 9-5 guy can comment along with a 9000 owner.

Lets be carefull as we are being led, and those that are leading, that we not become too much like the other places, for some of us, thats why we are here!!

FYI, I do not have a saabnet username, and I have not been banned from saabcentral, I am however addicted to mountain dew, but have never stayed in a holiday inn express.

Tboy

#22 ·
I have a new cat, his name is tentatively Hibachi/Gilbert and I will be posting pictures shortly.
Its this sort of things that lead us to the decision we need to "prune" or justify somebodys membership here.

Nobody wakes up, and says lets make rules, lets ban somebody or lets make things difficult on members. We read threads alot, many times, remember things, and wonder, why this member who randomly mentions cats, do we need him?

#23 ·
LOL yes because I replied in jest to an obviously redundant thread. I realize it does look better for the moderators here when half of the active threads are lamenting the current state of the forum though, it really shows that you have reached a healthy midpoint between your personal desires and those of us plebs. Or not (hint: that's sarcasm).

#25 ·
Not exactly. As of right now is been mainly my funds that have kept TSL going. Yes we have sponsors, but their monies are not whats keeping TSL alive.

#26 ·
Not to be rude or too inquisitive, but how are you not making money on this site? It develops enough traffic that if it's not even breaking even, you have to re-evaluate things on your end with the business model.

I guess maybe things are different, but I was making money on a Geocities site in like 1998 with a simple PPC ad sponsor.

#32 ·
TSL has had its growing pains, it seems like it goes through some sort of cycle every few months where a whole bunch of people get pissed off, somebody gets banned or leaves because they're sick of the bullshit, things settle down and people start coming back. I've noticed this time around that people are being antagonistic for the sake of being antagonistic, and it tends to turn people off (both old and new members).

I love the social aspect of TSL and I love the technical aspect, but it seems to be turning into the table in the lunchroom where all the jerks sat because they didn't know how to play nice with other kids.

I don't post much at all anymore because I'm working 12 hour days a few days a week, but the bs : useful or productive information ratio has gone way too far out of control. I'm more than happy to support TSL (I would vote with my checkbook if I could afford to). We have some awesome people here. It seems like some of them don't post here much anymore, and I think the point of Drew's thread here is to kind of ask why that is.

#28 ·
I'm not making money on the site because advertising hasn't been a priority. I've never asked people for money.. just asked that people stay on topic, and post informative posts.

In order to help my costs, I spoke to a few Saab performance companies. So about a year and half TSL was supported. With companies going out of business (coupled with non payment), there was still more money put out than received.

TSL is not a business. It is a forum. Originally it was a hobby which blew up, so a business model was not considered. It wasn't created to make money. Of course with the new design and new additions I'll be pursuing its financial abilities.

#30 ·
At this point, I think this site easily has the capabilities to be at least self-sustaining.

The 9-2X boards have a fraction of the traffic, and last I heard, it has a slight positive gain.

There are lots of small things that can be done that people would most likely be willing to take part of. For instance, there is an incentive program with tirerack that gives the site a certain percentage of all orders made. Lot's of online retailers have these programs. You could sign up for them, and just make a page full of links to them. Whenever anyone needs items from these retailers, I'm sure people would be happy to make the extra step to click that link before they make a purchase.

#34 ·
Yeah, I agree.

But, I dont have all the time I used to anymore. Not as much time to post here, so when I do get the time, I like reading the Informative or technical stuff. A million threads on caturday and things of that nature just make it that much harder to find the stuff i am looking for.

Soon enough, I will hopefully be back to having as much time as I used to, and start contributing more posts ;)

#37 ·
I don't think this site has gone too bonkers...maybe a slip here and there (myself included as a guilty party), but it seems alright.

Personallly...........

If I have a problem with my 9000, the first place I go is Saabnet. It is easy to search, and there is VERY little useless banter and commenting; its a "this is my problem." "this is how you fix it." site, which I truely enjoy, and find extremely valuable. Banning, and deleting posts aside, its my go-to when I need info.

I enjoy TSL for the projects threads, the classified sections, the funny jokes, the pictures, etc. I use TSL more as a "lets see what's going on in Saabland today." than for solving problems. It seems more geared toward cosmetic upgrades, chit-chat, and a forum where guys who know each other on here can keep in touch with each others doings and projects.

I like TSL for that reason.

#39 ·
I am with you on all of that. Except I don't use SN I use SC when I encounter a problem/issue with my 9-3SS.

Since there are only three of us that have a 9-3SS here it just isn't conducive to getting that information.

But more basic information...most certainly.

#40 ·
With the exception of working 12 hour days, what teh guru said x2.

From my perspective the forums started as both a learning tool and evolved into a social outlet to meet other passionate saabers. The more folks I've met, the more work I can get to help out with, contributing greatly to my knowledge base.

Yes, there are a handful of posters whose constant sarcasm & non sequitur posts leave me confused. I can't tell the difference if they ever post something meaningful or if its another little private joke amongst them. However, if they were to all go/get banned/pruned would I miss them?

Bottom line, I agree that on topic threads should stay that way & the constant repetitive nature of the way they tend to go off topic got old last year.

#45 ·
The searching other sites for the usefull info is the number 1 thing we want to stop.

One of the things we feel is causing this is, the number of people that sign up, say hey and then take off. Talking to these people at the meets, they all say the site "needs to grow up".

Search back a few years, and we did seem to have a good contingent of 9-3ss'ers. We had some good minds in all the sections. I would personally like to hear from DCsaab, he was last seen using vw valve springs on a stock software monster engine.

I know people do have lives and tastes change. The foolishness isn't to blame for everything. But its probably the easiest to change. And the assumption it's the admis that are out of touch with the members is a gross misinterpretation of why the site is here.

#47 · (Edited)
The searching other sites for the usefull info is the number 1 thing we want to stop.

One of the things we feel is causing this is, the number of people that sign up, say hey and then take off. Talking to these people at the meets, they all say the site "needs to grow up".

Search back a few years, and we did seem to have a good contingent of 9-3ss'ers. We had some good minds in all the sections. I would personally like to hear from DCsaab, he was last seen using vw valve springs on a stock software monster engine.

I know people do have lives and tastes change. The foolishness isn't to blame for everything. But its probably the easiest to change. And the assumption it's the admis that are out of touch with the members is a gross misinterpretation of why the site is here.
I guess it depends what the "goal" of the site is. And what you "value."

I.E. is it better that people know one another on a social level and have hung out in real life (regularly) or is it more important that some dumbass know that he can't put aftermarket HIDs in his 9-3SS.

And realistically, what is the point of having the same technical information available on three main sites?

If it's sheerly a business, which CED said it isn't, then why is driving new traffic to the site so important.

If you loyal members are happy with the site as is, why change? Is bringing new traffic worth alienating and potentially losing existing members?

To determine how to approach a solution, you must first identify strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats. It's a common SWOT analysis.

This helps identify problems and point out potential solutions.

Hmmmm, I have to give a thesis proposal for my M.A. class...hmmmm, this could be a good topic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.