Saab Link Forums banner

Help make my car a roll monster!

3K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Icerider2001 
#1 ·
Ok right now I have an 03' 9-5 Aero 5spd with an ebay M3 style c/f lip, intake, trans mount and just ordered vented rotors and better pads. I want to make my car a roll monster seing that the trans sucks. I also want to keep it under or around $3000.

Right now im thinking

-GS Dual Exhaust
-race Cated rp
-Nordic ECU
-Fordge 007
-Turbo inlet pipe
and if there is money left I would also consider going for an turbo housing swap but im not sure how much it would give me.

Would u guys suggest anything different? And on this setup what type of hp/tq would u figure I would be looking at?

#3 ·
Bigger injectors, an upgraded Fuel Pressure Regulator, and a 3" downpipe with give you more bang for your buck with the Nordic ECU upgrade. IIRC the turbo inlet pipe is down the list a but on issues to deal with when it comes to more power.

EDIT - I assume you've already done the GS open air intake? Absolutely mandatory before you do the other stuff.

#5 ·
yep already have an open intake. I shouldnt have said monster lol (certainly I dont expect 500bhp like some people have) but hell to most ppl +300bhp to the front wheels is a monster +1 for Saabs :cool:

#6 ·
If I had $3000 to spend on my 9-5 Aero, I'd do exhaust (~$1000), Downpipe (~$500 stainless), Injectors/Fuel Press Regulator, and a stage 3/4 tune from the tuner of your choice (in my case probably SQR, since Automotion is 90 minutes from my house). Then, If I had any money left over, I'd focus on the brakes/suspension. But I'd make it go fast first, the brakes/suspension on the aero aren't too bad to begin with.

#8 ·
You are going to be very hard pressed to fit all those goodies in under $3000. But good luck, that will make your car a force to reckoned with. And instead of the intake pipe, I would recommend the '06 conversion kit for the turbo. It is the best flowing intake for the TD-04 turbo. Keep in mind that Nordic software is going to be the most expensive part on that list of mods.

#9 ·
If you're on a budget, why bother with a dual exhaust? It's still 2.5" in the middle, so it wouldn't give you much of a benefit over the single muffler version except for the looks. This will save you $200, which you can spend on the king cobra kit.

And stage4 will not give you 300 whp. 300 crank at best. Not unless you get a bigger turbo.

#10 ·
to be honest its mostly the fact that i think that 9-5's look a million times nicer with the duals. I actually think that exhausts are over rated in general. Out of curiousity why would you say I would be lucky to hit those numbers when hersh gives u the same stuff and u get 305hp

#11 ·
Out of curiousity why would you say I would be lucky to hit those numbers when hersh gives u the same stuff and u get 305hp
I think what dip means is that 300 crank horsepower (equals bout 270 wheel horsepower) might be achievable. For 300 at the wheels, you need to write a bigger check.

Most of the tuners, when they publish figures, publish crank horsepower numbers because they sound better.

#16 ·
To me if you are going to get this done to make it a fun street fighter I would go a little something like this.

1. Custom Exhaust from a local speed shop (shoud run $500 or so)
2. Take the turbo and have it rebuilt to a 19T (Blousch or Gpopshop $275)
3. 3" Downpipe
4. 3.5Bar FPR ($45 online from the V'dub world)
5. Custom Tune for the 19T ($1200 or so)
6. Upgraded brakes and suspension if budget allows

Just a rough list of how I would go forward.

#21 ·
Before you go adding power, you need some suspension upgrades for sure. Koni struts and H&R springs fit the bill nicely for about a grand.

but if you are set on just making power, then here's what i have for stuff and its quite quick. i wouldnt say monster, but its a great amount of power on tap.

3" downpipe ($550)
2.5" catback (~$500)
being that you have an aero, you already have a td-04. ($0)
better bypass valve (~$140)
Intercooler ($600 for the ETS from Nick) or (probably about $300 for the parts to make a front mount setup, then you either have to do it yourself or pay someone to do it)
Tune. (~$900)

Thats approx. $2700 with the ETS, or 2400 with a front mount.
add in various other things, and I would say that you are at your mark.

Like i said, perfect power level. Aero clutch will hold strong, td-04 is about pooched at that power, and hopefully you wont blow up a gearbox (but it is very possible). you will go through tires, and your basic maintanence will occur more frequently.

#23 ·
yep that was me at the ikea meet! I would prob go for the ets just because I want to stick with the stealth look. Has anyone seen the dual exhaust in person? Is it loud?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.