Saab Link Forums banner

Factory Bluetooth

61K views 28 replies 25 participants last post by  SAABrozo 
#1 ·
Thought I would share with you guys the new Motorola / Saab factory bluetooth kit with plug and play harness.
Catlog

See less See more
#6 ·
Yeah I had to decide to get the new HF since I have 2 phones for work ( yes I know) sometimes I am on a confrence call with my hands free ( Moto) and need to take a call with the headset ( blackberry) . I am not sure but moto says i should be able to sync two different devices in the same area... we shall see...

#8 ·
So by that explanation it WILL NOT work with Saabs with Onstar? Also you think it will work for any bluetooth phone, or just Moto's?

#10 ·
I spent some time saturday working on the Aero.. On the cars with onstar, they of course want you to stay with using their analog system and the revenue it generates.

The onstar cars do not have the tel1 prewiring. It is as simple as adding an extra harness to the car, all is accessible behind the EHU. (In Center Dash) The only part there is that it takes the factory harness crimping tools to terminate the new harness. (It was made to fit a few cars) I can do this for people that get the whole kit and request it.

The rest is simple install with the great factory docs. There is no additional programming needed. I chose to electronically "remove" the CU/PS "Onstar" so there was no longer a "No Onstar message" on the sid. ;)

My Blackberry pearl paired with little effort to "SAAB" which was sorta neat. The rest of the features are pretty cool, voice dialing, contact list, speed dial... all really easy to work and you never have to take your phone out of the pocket. Since I still had the onstar buttons up top I had to fit the controls down low and they are actually very easy to operate there.

#13 ·
The "Factory Bluetooth" is no more than the Motorola IHF 1000 repackaged without Motorola written on it. It is the exact same unit with the same functionality. Instead of paying $304 just buy an IHF 1000 off Ebay for $160 and the Saab handsfree harness for $17. .....total $177 vs $304 Detailed install instructions for IHF 1000 for Saabs can be found at Saabcentral.com

#15 ·
Nick,

I have a '04 9-3 Arc w/ the premium package and OnStar so I'm assuming that it's not pre-wired? The SID has the PHONE option which I'm guessing is for the OnStar phone? If I understand your post correctly, you're saying that all I would need to purchase is the harness to plug into the Tel1 and connect that to the EHU? When you say "Electronically remove" the CU/PS "OnStar" do you mean you did this w/ the TechII? This is all completely foreign to me if you can't already tell. I just bought the Motorola IHF1000 thinking I would be able to install it myself but I'm beginning to think I will be looking for someone with experience to do it for me. Anyone in Houston interested?

#19 ·
Blue Tooth on 9-3 60th anniversay model

I read on a website (that I now cannot find) that the anniversay model is pre-wired for hands free. I asked the dealer and he stated that this is only the case on the european models. Does anyone know for sure? I pick up the car this Thursday! Thanks in advance.

#20 ·
Hi,
My wife just took delivery of her 9-3 Aero convertible (with OnStar), and is looking for a good bluetooth adapter. Although the salesman assured us it was possible to disable OnStar and install the Motorola bluetooth mount, the service department is now telling us this is impossible. Frankly, I don't believe it.
A few questions:
a - does disabling OnStar void the car warranty?
b - is it in fact possible to install the bluetooth mount, and disable OnStar in the 2008 model year?
c - Does anyone know of a good installer in the San Francisco/San Jose area?
Many thanks,
Grant

#21 ·
More Bluetooth v. OnStar

After a little more searching, I ran across Coastal Electronic Tech, which apparently has a device that interfaces between a bluetooth adapter and OnStar, without the need to remove OnStar. They list a setup for the 9-7x, and I'm waiting to hear from them whether they can adapt for a 9-3 Aero convertible.

Has anyone else heard of these guys, or tried their products?

Thanks,

Grant

#23 · (Edited)
FYI there is no factory BT, there are many options and only one connection, with harnesses to fit different manufacturer's products.

Parrot is my favorite, i Parrot-ed 2 cars so far, here are the kits for 2006+ GM cars:

QCGM-3 for non-Bose

QCHBB-GM3 for Bose systems

SAAB simply picked the Motorola with a harness, Moto BT compatibility is limited, read up on VWvortex and Swedespeed, people hate them, mostly work only with Moto phones. Moto acknowledges this and provides a compatibility chart. Never heard of a phone not working with a Parrot.

The magic behind bluetoothing a car is introducing a priority channel into the radio, or if not possible a mute lead to silence the radio and external amplifiers piggybacked into the center or stereo speakers. The 5 piece blue plastic auto dash tool kit from ebay really comes in handy.

You should have seen my wife's face when i had our Honda Odyssey Touring's dash on the driveway, now she cannot live without it, even the kids participate in conversations, and everyone is safe.

#26 ·
I am thorouhly confused. I just got my first Saab 9.3 20.t convertible. It has the phone insignia on the wheel, dash with keypad. Also, on the right side of the wheel there is a button that appears to also be phone related. I do not have nav or onstar. The trunk has a cubbby with a door with no cd or nav in the cubby on the right in the trunk. Question is, on occasion my iphone shows "handsfree" with a series of #nuv 888888 a bunch of numbers I have not written down. Is this my car trying to connect to my phone? if so, how do I put in the password. Do I not have bluetooth? When I push phone buttons on wheel or dash nothing happens except sometimes the nuv # comes up on my iphone, maybe this is just a bluetooth in my area that it is picking up except it is always the same thing on the phone bluetooth menu? Where can I look to see if I have the harness, and the set up for bluetooth, I have all the microphones that seem to work when I use AUX. AUX works fine except I want to eliminate the wire and be real bluetooth. Any info for me? Mainly, Where do I look to see if I have the hardware installed? Thanks guys, I am new in here, my name is Tommy, user name is "notoptommy"

#29 ·
For all those who pass by this old thread and want to install BT in their SAAB 93 ...I have installed in my car two BT - one for telephone which is Mono - (Nokia CK-7W) works very well with Iphone and all other BT phones....including voice recognition, install is easy even in cars that are not TEL1 ready...recently I purchased a miniature BT adapter that plugs in the AUX port and works very well with music and phone - even has a mic inside! - it is installed inside the console with AUX cable and USB cable to Power...I am even thinking of disconnecting the Nokia for good the Mini BT cost me only 12 bucks from China...excelent product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.