The Saab Link Forums - View Single Post - starter won't engage once in a while help please.
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 06:53 AM   #1
Minirex4777
SAABeginner

starter won't engage once in a while help please.

The car is a 2003 Saab 9-3 SE convertible. I just ran through the car it's really not throwing any codes for anything important. the map sensor low performance there was a broken wire and O2 sensor code because the cat is missing and the thermostat is stuck open and needs to be changed along with the water pump so it's taking too long to reach closed-loop but other than that the car seems to be sound. it's got a new ABS module a new throttle body and throttle position sensor and seems to be running fine. I actually pulled out the starter because of the intermittent starting issues. I found a kill switch that was hooked up to the starter. One of the times when it wouldn't turn over I took the wires from the kill switch put the key in the Run position and just touched them together and got the starter to turn over and the car started. I took the wires off thinking they were the cause but they weren't. So obviously there's power to the terminals otherwise I wouldn't have been able to jump them. The car is throwing a warning on the SID for service the security system. so I guess the batteries are dying on the alarm system. I don't know if that's possibly an issue. If it's not the only thing I can think of is possibly a ground or the ignition. The next time it does it I'm going to read to see what gears it's reading in just to make sure the neutral safety switch is correct. But it's got me stumped. When it happens sometimes you can wait 15 minutes and then try again and the car will start so I'm not sure what's causing it. Any help would be appreciated. At this point I'm just going to go over the grounds and try to clean them up. I was also going to pull a different starter from the junkyard try switching out the starter but for a few reasons I don't think it's the starter. One being that when the key won't start the car if you have wires connected to the terminals you can touch them together and the starter will roar. So if that's the case in my way of thinking the starters not the culprit. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Minirex4777 is offline   Reply With Quote