Saab Link Forums banner

B234/b205 hybrid

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Jameson 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 93 and I am looking to use it as a project/sleeper car and was looking into making using a b234 block and my current b205 head. This is all pretty new to me and I was wondering if there is a thread/ tutorial on doing this. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.!

#4 ·
After a little more research that's also what I was wondering, just beef up the internals and I should be fine? Now with that being said my current engine has almost 270k on it. Should I be looking for a new b205? Would it make sense just to put in a newer b235 with forged internals?

#6 ·
I pulled a b234 from the yards. Took it home, stripped it down and took it to my machine guy for reworking.

$340 later I had a Balance Shaft deleted stock bore, Decked, Line honed, hot Tanked b234. This also included a refresh of the stock pistons, hot Tanked and a balanced and polished crank.

The b234 Block has been seen to make over 600hp on Stock internals. In fact the problem at that point for those who have gone that route is in the front wheel set up.

The head doesn't really matter if you do a heavy port and valves/ Springs. What I have found is that they are all generally the same mold with slightly different hardware.

Throw some single springs in with a good port and Cams and you will get the breathing you need to make big power...

#5 ·
It depends. you should plan on new bearings and seals no matter what you do.
The b2x5 are low friction engines, so I'd guess that as long as oil changes were done, your stock block is in good shape. You could maybe get away with stock bore forged pistons and a quick hone, but nobody would recommend that.

If you're handy, strip the block down and bring it to a machine shop and have them prepare it for the pistons. shouldn't be but a couple few hundred bucks if it's just labor

Same with the head- have them do a rebuild, and you're good. maybe ~$350-ish?
If you're on a budget, a bake/plane is usually ~$100.

You're not going to know if the 205 is re-usable until you get it apart. You may find out it's perfect inside, so you can get away with just bearings on top of the simple machining, and main seals.

You may find a scored/blue crank, and be screwed, and looking for a new block.
If you end up needing a new engine- you get to make the choice. there are benefits of going either way.

#7 ·
I don't think you'll see a lot of consensus that 234 can handle 600hp on stock pistons. Or, handle it for more than a week or two. You're right about the front wheels and the rest of the drivetrain. 600 just isn't a reasonable amount of HP for this chassis in general.

#8 ·
I think 400whp is the limit for a 9-5 in terms of power that is still mostly streetable. Over that and its all about finding 1st and 2nd useless and bragging about 70mph wheelspin.

I've got an Quaife LSD and 255 Michelin P4S'. Thats about as far as one can go to combat wheelspin on a street car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.