The Saab Link Forums - View Single Post - B235r Engine Build
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #2
Trionic3000
Drew In Houston
Elder

Sweet, welcome. The engine itself will work. I put a 2001 9-5 Aero short block into a 2001 Viggen convertible for my lady a few years back. No problem.

Between the Viggen and 9-5 Aero's the transmission cases are different, and the brackets/mounts and such--but you can definitely build up a 9-5 B235R and then swap the rest over.

If you're wanting to build a transmission, you need a T7 9-3 box with a 9-5 differential. Or a Viggen specific unit. You'd still need to install a 9-5 differential but maybe one of the later NG-900s might work too for a case, I think there may have been some overlap there for compatibility with the last of the 900's. Someone will chime in I'm sure. There are quite a few special tools needed to set the preload correctly when you're assembling.

If you're new to building things, I wouldn't start with one of these transmissions. Many transmission shops won't even touch them and some parts are just NLA, so you need donor boxes, in addition to the special tools. If you do try it, the Cobalt SS/Ion GM factory manual is better in some areas than the Saab WIS.

Last edited by Trionic3000; 10-28-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Trionic3000 is offline   Reply With Quote