Saab Link Forums banner

Joined the 9-5 Club

20K views 205 replies 21 participants last post by  WSW 
#1 · (Edited)
Was scrolling through copart and seen this 03 Aero in Virginia with a buy it now price of 300. Was a donated and runs/drives listing. Had to jump on it as being a Virginia car it was most likely rust free

I went through a broker and bought it right away. After copart/broker fees and
shipping it to Chicago It was 1500

Arrived a few days later, checked it over and not a spot of rust. Underbody is super clean. Ran good overall

158k, 5 speed, fully loaded with vented seats, xenons, park assist, homelink/compass mirror, auto dimming side mirrors , rain sensing wipers, etc

Compression 180 on all 4

So far I have replaced the shift knob, fixed leaky sunroof drains, repaired sunroof deflector, installed pcv update, dropped pan, new maf,dic, coolant temp sensor, thermostat, fresh coolant, new coolant bypass valve, new fuel filter, new plugs, new cabin filter, new valve cover gaskets, replaced peeling onstar antenna with a dummy, replaced windshield cowl cover, new wiper blades, replaced batteries in alarm module, 666 lighting relay mod,silicone vac lines, debadged on the rear, replaced numerous interior bulbs

Still left to do: passenger rear regulator, install GS poly Trans mount, restore headlight lenses, clean engine bay, replace passenger fender as it hAs some deep scratches, figure out p0442 cel and give it a proper detail.

Paint needs some loving for sure but I've done half the hood and she shines right back up

Def needs engine/Trans mounts soon and maybe subframe bushings.

There was an 01 9-5 at the junkyard had eibach springs and shocks/struts so I installed those minus the fronts as they're different

Came with turbines but I was flipping a silver Aero so I swapped wheels and put the rk2s on, they need to be refinished( plan on doing it over the winter)

My first 9-5 and I'm in love, great daily driver

Got the itch to start modding it already

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
I had the GS trans mount.
I chucked it for a powerflex mount after it eroded like a PPS poly bushing.

The new aero needs one, and It'll be a powerflex, as well.

for the rest, the hutchinsons on Ebay are OE quality, and are pretty inexpensive.

I can't see the pictures, but I'm stoked for ya!
9-5 club is where it's at!

If you have to replace the headlights, DDM makes a GREAT D1S, and awesome CREE foglight bulbs.

#10 · (Edited)
Good find for sure. It even has the front lip intact. I looked for vented seats for awhile and still haven't came across an example with a manual. Somehow you corner the market all the highly optioned Saabs lol.

You might consider dropping the oil pan for a look-see and going through a preventative head re-torque procedure.

I'm DD-ing a 5-sp '03 Aero with +200k miles at this point, it's awesome, although it doesn't have all the options like yours. It did have some buildup in the pan, and it did develop a mild coolant leak into the cylinder when parked overnight around 170k or so. When I did the head gasket the cross hatching was still visible in the cylinder walls and the timing chain tensioner was only extended about half way, I think +300k miles shouldn't be a problem at all.

#19 ·
Pulled off the door panel to replace the passenger rear regulator and come to find there's no regulator. Seems like original had failed so they removed it completely and rigged glass to stay up.

Anyway she's good to go now with a used regulator

#27 ·
Regarding dog leg rust, my car is completely rust free and I'd like to keep it that way but it will see winter as it's my daily

Why does it rust there? Anything I can do to prevent future rust in that area?

#29 ·
Cleaned out behind the dog legs a few days ago, bunch of rocks and crud came out so I can def see why it rusts there

Plan on spraying some fluid film on the underside and swapping over to the winter wheel setup this week

#34 ·
Got the p0442 code taken care of. The Evap test port cracked right where it meets the hard line. Teed it together with some rubber hose

Also, took apart one of the rk2s to start refinishing them, this is where I'm at now. It's a major pita so might just trade my buddy for some 04-05 5 spokes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.