Saab Link Forums banner

apparently, I suck at brakes. Picture included.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  g96nt 
#1 · (Edited)
so, I just replaced a caliper and all 4 pads after a caliper seized.
I used the same springs I used before the seizing.

after putting it together, I get this:

(there's an inside inch where the pads aren't cleaning/contacting the rotor)
It's happened before when I was in a rush and put the springs in wrong, but they're fine now. Anyone have any suggestions?

See less See more
#3 ·
They are.
308mm rotors, aero brackets, and the same normal pad I've always used.
The weird thing is that the pad is actually covering the rusty area, but there's no pressure being placed, so it's staying rusty.

I'm going to pull the calipers and grease the pins/scrape where the pads rest.
the last time it happened, it was because I put the springs behind the "ear" of the caliper bracket. this time, everything's in there correctly.

#6 ·
Not sure that newer springs is going to solve the problem, was it making noise/rattling?

Can you micrometer aka mic the brake rotor? Might be a low spot on the inside, not sure if they can be turned?

Yeah. ya know.. you might be right.

It's possible they're bent too much. I did re-use them. Perhaps I'll order some new ones, anyways. It's not like they're expensive.

#7 ·
I don't have a gauge. It brakes fine, though. and it was 100% fine until I swapped pads. The other side is doing the same, but the "strip" is narrower.
I will probably pick up some springs and grease tomorrow when I get the starter.
I do see that the spring is sort of floating. It's not pushing down on the pad at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.