The Saab Link Forums - View Single Post - Refinishing Interior Parts With Rubber Coating
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
falcon21
TSLMember

Refinishing Interior Parts With Rubber Coating

My 9-3 has the usual rubber peeling off the door handles and trim around the gear selector. I decided to give plastidip a try first as it is easily reversible. For the door handle I scraped all the rubber off then sanded it with 320 grit then 400 grit sand paper. For the gear selector trim I started with 80 grit sand paper and sanded the rubber coating off as it didn't want to scrape off easily. Then I hit it with 320 and then the 400 grit. After both parts were sanded smooth I wiped them down with isopropyl alcohol. I gave both parts eight light coats of plastidip with about 15-20 minutes in between coats. This resulted in a nice textured feel. I waited 24 hours before re-installing the parts.

Here is how they turned out:

I'm very happy with how the gear selector trim turned out. I'm not sure if that is the finish I want for the door handles yet but they definitely look better then the cheap rubber coating. Next I will be doing the SmartSlot, driver and rear door pulls, and the faded black trim next to the side mirrors.