Saab Link Forums banner

New Here - 9k Aero

Tags
9000 aero intro
1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  RacerX 
#1 ·
A little about me: I'm 20 years old, and I've been working on cars since I started high school. I have no formal auto shop education as I was home schooled and there was no option for me to attend shop class. I have successfully owned/repaired a number of cars including an 01 Focus, 02 Durango, 76 Firebird Formula, '84 Supra P-type, '94 Camaro Z28, '93 Z71 Pickup, and I currently drive a '94 3000GT SL. All of these cars had mechanical/cosmetic issues when I bought them, and all were fixed up and sold for a profit. This is how I pay for my ongoing college education. :)

So here's my new SAAB. 1993 9k Aero with 187k, A/T :th_thumbsdownsmiley, black Recaro interior :th_MySaab900Like:, etc etc. I found it listed on Craigslist near me for $1200. The man selling it had bought it in Atlanta and had it shipped all the way to northern California. The pictures he showed me of when he bought it were from 2004 at a concours show I think, and the car was in immaculate condition. He had all the service records up until about 140k, had a receipt for the transmission being replaced at 128k, all fluid changes and maintenance had been done at SAAB dealers since new. It has 17x8 "ATP" brand wheels. When I went to see the car on his property, it was sitting in a horse pasture, had rotted tires, rusted brakes, and was covered in dirt. Some time during his ownership, the car had been backed into in a parking lot, resulting in a large dent in the passenger rear door. He had it pulled out, but it's missing the trim now (I'm looking for some). Also, the turbo was making a loud hooting noise whenever it spooled and sounded like it was grinding itself away (it was), the transmission had sprung a leak at the torque converter/main seal and was dripping fluid once every ~3 sec (when warm/running), the headliner had fallen down (replaced), had a faulty APC (removed), the taillights weren't working (fixed), the dash lights/high beams weren't working (fixed), and the e-brake was stuck on (fixed). I talked him down to $1000 and managed to drive it home (~10mi of back-roads). I am now the proud owner of a scarabe green basket case! :) Once cleaned up, the car turned out to be very clean, inside and out, and I have since put brand new tires and brakes on it. I also replaced the turbocharger with a used t25 I found on eBay, blasted/repainted the valve cover, steam cleaned the engine bay, installed new plugs (NGK), and replaced the faulty APC with a cheap manual boost controller made by XSboost.

More pictures can be seen at http://photobucket.com/93aero if interested.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you!
So far, I've been mildly impressed with the tranny. I learned to drive stick in my 3000GT, and I love it, but the auto in my Z28 wasn't too bad. Every other small/fwd auto car I've driven drives me nuts because they're so indecisive about gear changes, and can't handle any power. The SAAB tranny seems to shift harder than most autos, and likes to use the low-end torque of the turbo engine by staying in gear longer. So far, I'm not hating life.... but time will tell.

#4 ·
84 supra p-typs are cool cars, my first car was an 81 celica-supra L type,, i always wanted an mk2..

1993 is a funny year for 9000's, lots of one year only parts, But if you can do your homework there are alot of good solutions for them, all an all, its a lot of car for the money you payed

also, loose the MBC, they kill fuel economy, over the cource of an average month of driving a well sorted tune will pay for itself in the fuel you wont burn

Good luck,
Mike d

#5 ·
Funny story about that p-type... SUPER clean car, dark brown, great shape, the kid I bought it from hated it and thought it was "ugly". Angry at his parents for buying him the car, he abused it and raced it, ended up floating a valve and destroying the distributor in a most spectacular manner. The car needed a head rebuild, so I bought it off of him with new Pirelli 205-section tires on stock 14" supra wheels, lowered springs, newer clutch, brand new header-back exhaust, and new shocks for only $250. His parents were pissed when they found out what happened to the car. Hiss loss, I say. :) That car was, to this day, still the most fun car I've ever driven , bar none. I am still sad I sold it. :( I am always looking for another clean P-type, but there really aren't many good ones around anymore.

I am slowly finding out just how correct you are about the one-year-only rule on my '93. It's becoming challenging to find info, as well.

Thanks for the tip on the MBC. I was just running it in place of my broken APC as a temporary fix until I can afford to spend another $120 on a new one. They seem to be somewhat fragile, otherwise I'd buy used.

Thanks for the welcome, in any case. Hope to see you around the site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.