Saab Link Forums banner

Installing Viggen Antenna

4K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  tronbrain 
#1 ·

Installing the Viggen antenna is very easy. I completed it in about 20 minutes after continuously eyeing it to make sure of proper alignment.

First start off by centering the spot where you plan to drill (Yes drilling is required). This spot should be perfectly aligned with the rear window cleaner nozzle, and approximately where your backseat dome light is located.

I began by standing at the side of the car with a straight edge, and eyeballing the center of the rear dome light through the window. I then took a pencil and lightly marked the location above the window (A light pencil mark shows up well on a light colored paint, and can be erased with your finger).

Using a longer straight edge, I marked another line towards the center of the roof...aligned with your previous mark.

After your first mark, use your straight edge to make a perpendicular mark that is aligned with the center of the washer nozzle.

Stand at the front of the car to verify that your straight edge is centered. This makes a perfect pencil crosshair that is centered, and can be erased easily without any paint damage.

Second: Begin drilling. Use a drill bit slightly smaller than the rubber grommet supplied with your antenna. By making the hole slightly smaller, a water-tight seal can be made, which will prevent any rusting or leakage.

Your hole should line up in the same location your rear dome light is located.

Third: Run the wiring. Remove the panel shown below, as well as the headliner retainer clip on the driver side of the car.. left of the rear dome light.

Next run the flat round end of wiring to the dome light location, and the other end to a hole leading to the space behind the trunk light( directly behind the area shown below).

To remove the trunk lining to access the old antenna, remove the three screws shown below around the speaker, as well as the retaining scew by the trunk opening.

Once the lining is removed, remove the old antenna wire, and plug in the new.

Fourth: Bolt down the antenna. After inserting the grommet and antenna base into the hole you've drilled, remove your rear dome light. You should see the screw from the base.

The flat section of wire goes on the screw (with the teeth pointing up), and screw the supplied nut hand tight.

Check that the antenna base hasn't rotated and is still centered, and completely tighten the nut.

Finally: Your'e Finished. Pull the wiring semi tight and reattach the panel, and dome light, and enjoy. 8)

See less See more
#32 ·
hey nice writeup, i wanna do this for my 9k. you guys said genuinesaab has them for cheap? i looked but couldn't find them, could you help? the cheapest i found was like $20 shipped on eBay. thanks!

#34 ·
im still blind...i am in the "9-3 900 94-02" section, i assume they would be under the exterior accessories subsection? don't see em. and when i just run a search for viggen antenna or even antenna all it comes up with is the antenna block-off thingy.

#38 ·
ive actually been watching several for a couple months...they're not official saab viggen antennas, but there are ones from VW, Scion, Toyota, and Honda that are all the same, and they come with enough cable to run from the radio all the way back. and they're like 25 bucks. thanks for the help though!

#46 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.