Saab Link Forums banner

Turbo Upgrade

2K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Jitters 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals!

Anyone have any recommendations on a turbo upgrade? I'd like to upgrade my current OEM turbo but do not want to have to perform triple bypass surgery in order for it to fit. I'm looking for a direct bolt on setup. Also, I'm not looking for the cheapest turbo, nor am I looking to replace with something that is not practical eg., a turbo that supports 600hp. In all probability, my car will not be tracked, so I'm just looking for that extra little something for my street driven daily driver..:D

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and recommendations.

Jitters

#3 ·
I agree, T3/T4 is a good basic reasonably-priced bolt-on upgrade. Plenty of power for a daily-driver, and easy on the transmission. Be sure you get one that has the connections for water cooling as well if your current turbo is so equipped.

#4 ·
What year is your car? Does it have the TE-05 already, or a T3 (sorry, I can't remember).

For a little extra go, and snappier throttle response I really like the 12T Mitsu TE-05, but I also really despise laggy turbo cars that don't do anything till 3000 rpm, just an oppinion.

You can pick those up cheap used too, can be upgraded a little bit, bolt right up, and the factory oil and water lines for the T3 configuration fit right up.

Best,
Drew

#5 ·
I agree - a small/medium t3/t4 is the cheapest/easiest upgrade to make. Keep the internal wastegate, I'd keep the .48 exhaust housing too for quicker spoolup.

This is a really peppy t3/t4 that will keep much of the stock turbo's characteristics, low spoolup etc. It's one bump up from a T3 trim 60. It would bolt up to your stock internal wastegate, exhaust, etc no problem. Call to make sure they do water cooling.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...OD&Product_Code=TBN-TBO-014&Category_Code=TBN

Always buy genuine Garrett, don't trust your car to some cheap knockoffs. When those cheap blades break off at 100,000 RPM and fly into your motor you'll be sorry.

#7 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the insight and recommendations. As I mentioned in my post, I'm not looking for the cheapest route nor am I attempting to be impractical with my expectations.

Joe,

I'm familiar with Garrett, Turbonetics and KKK turbo's and would never compromise quality over cost. Thanks for the link. I also found the same unit on another website for about $100 cheaper. Also, what is your opinion on SD's Red Series Turbo? Is there anything different other than the red paint? IIRC, there pricing is somewhere in the neighborhood of $900. Not a bad price if the quality and reliability is there...

Drew,

My Saaby is a 1988 SPG and I believe it currently has the T3.

Thanks again for all your help and support...

Caio,

Jitters

#8 ·
I just installed back my stock turbo after using gt2860rs and I notice huge decrease in throttle responce, over all torq and power loss. Stock T3 is old technology it was good back in its day but turbos got so much better.
I have tried T60 turbo and little upgraded stock T3 turbocharger and they still suck. The T3 60 will have too much lag that to me is not practical, I like responsivness. The only turbos that I would recomend is TE-05 from 91-93 900t with upgraded compressor wheel, and garret gt ball bearing series.

#9 ·
Hey Raul,

My preference is either a Garrett or Turbonetics BB type turbo. I've had good luck with the Turbonetics in my 930. I noticed a huge improvement in responsiveness; however, I actually enjoy some lag. IMO, it's what gives turbo cars their fun factor...

Cheers,

Jitters

#13 · (Edited)
cheap ebay turbos are not that bad,, im running the cheapest turbo on ebay right now, and it makes quite a bit of power

although laggy,, with my 3in pipes it getting going around 2800 rpms, with OEM exhaust it doesn't do much until 3500-4k rpms

it still pushs lots of power without much trouble.

more importantly, if your just looking for a moderate boost in performance, stuff like a frontmount intercooler, and a good exhaust are a much better place to start. they offer all the responsive turbo bits you want, with quite alot more performance in all areas
also, those TEO5s can push alot of power out,, mine had alot of guts to it with not much more than a decent frontmount.

#14 ·
Hey Mike,

Well, I've already done most of the basics and am looking for more than just a moderate increase in performance. So far I've done the following since I've begun modding the car.

Red Box APC
FMIC
28lb/hr Injectors
Fuel Eprom
3.0 FPR
Intake Filter
2.5" Catback exhaust

Future plans include 3" SS DP and 3" SS full exhaust, water injection, performance camshafts, head porting along with port matched 2.1 intake manifold. And, yes there may be hope for me yet. As I travel down the mod road, I might even consider installing MS or T5. But that's a long way off.

Jitters

#16 · (Edited)
cheap ebay turbos really are not as bad as people say,, mien is fricken huge, and will do more than my trans can ever take.

more importantly,, there cheap as shit, even if you replace them prematurely once a year to make sure they dont blow up,, it will still be cheaper over a 5 year span.

people say "go garret" alot, but like many of you ive seen quite a few nuked garret ball bearing turbos

lastly, as far as MS or T5 goes,, its funny how one thing helps another,, because of T5, you get rid of your distributor, which makes room for a bigger turbo. MS with EDIS works much the same way. this is like how installing a frontmount gives you room to relocate the battery,. which in turn leaves enough room to route a 3in downpipe.

#18 ·
Hey Mike,

I understand your point; however, I usually consider the issue of warranty's, returns and things of that nature. Although, I do realize that there are quality no name brand products, Garrett along with Turbonetics and KKK have a pretty good reputation in the turbocharger industry, well, at least in the Porsche community. And like anything else, they are susceptible to deffective products as well. I like the fact that if there are any issues, they can be address relatively easy and quickly without having to go through some 3rd world country in order track down who sold the thing in the first place. JK :D

Thanks again and have a great day...

Jitters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.