Saab Link Forums banner

Hydraulic motor mount, advice about what route to go.

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  bogan 
#1 ·
So my Viggen is making really good and consistent power now... I Have destroyed two hydraulic motor mounts in the last 2,000 miles. I can really only feel the engine and transmission shift forward under hard driving. It gets harder to shift, etc.

I was looking at the diesel mount, but hard to get and pricey. I am also looking at the GS rear mount, but I had the trans and front mount on my last Viggen and vibrated way too much for my liking.

Just curious about thoughts and opinions, as well as options :).

#2 ·
I have the GS rear poly mount on my car (hard poly) I have all three...
The vibration is really not that bad.. I hardly notice it..

I know people have had problems with the GS rear mount...but not me.. Mine has been great now for two years and still looks brand new.

You can get the Diesel mount from parts for Saabs UK ..I think

#3 ·
I would either get the new GS mounts (better quality than some of the early ones) or fill all the stock mounts with 3M Windo-Weld urethane and let them cure for several weeks before installing. That will give a firmer mount than stock but not as firm as the GS mount.

I went that route. I don't have balance shafts, and I the harder mounts would likely transmit too much vibration into the cabin.

#4 ·
Mike's approach is an interesting idea. So you poke a hole, drain the fluid, then inject the sealant in there? I guess you poke a hole on both sides and pump the sealant through with a caulk gun maybe?

I have all 3 GS mounts, and balance shafts, and it's a little more vibration than I'd prefer to have at idle but tolerable. Steady state cruising is a little buzzy but no big deal

#9 ·
Great replies everyone! I already have all the stock mounts filled with 3m window weld. I let them cure over three weeks when the car was apart. The front motor mount is already coming out of its housing!! And like I already stated about the rear...

I have a GS transmission mount I found at a local junkyard, filled with replacement polly... But I do not want to put it on the car, I hated the vibrations I got with the trans and front motor mount on my last Viggen!

I have no balance shafts as well. The engine runs extremely smooth, the only vibration I get is from my rather loud exhaust, but that is bearable because it sounds pleasant lol.

I purely want advice on the rear mount, staying with the filled stock mounts for the other two for the time being purely for comfort and test purposes, I want to see how much difference just the rear mount changes things.
So my two choices are a race mount or diesel mount, leaning towards the diesel mount. Nick T just commented on my post on Facebook and said he had some prototype mounts on some of the shop cars, he said he might be starting production soon! So I will try to see what he has to offer before I make a rash decision, until then I guess just shifting really slow and being cautious... Hard to not drive the crap out of this car, though.. :winky:

#10 ·
For me I would be entertaining a custom upper engine mount. Saaboheme had a short hyd shock on his ng900 years ago that seemed to work well for him. This could damp out the rapid movement of the motor during shifts, but the weight of the motor would still be controlled by the factory mounts.

#11 ·
There's a years old thread somewhere around here or saabcentral where Nick and JZW (as I recall) argued about that upper shock use. I think the general conclusion I drew was that if you could rig one that was vertically above the stock mount, you'd be good. If it's on the end of the motor then there's some argument about how it shifts the load on the drivetrain.

#12 ·
So to make the a filled rear mount you just drain the hydraulic fluid and fill with poly? If so I'm going to do this ASAP as I'm doing a treans swap very soon and want a better rear mount. I already have the other two GS mounts and there great but the car does vibrate a lil at idle bug I can tolerate it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.