2.3 rwd :) - Page 10 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2015, 09:52 AM   #181
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I read this thread constantly!

Parts look awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 10:22 AM   #182
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
^what he said. Hoping to B204 swap my '80 Toyota Hilux someday!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-21-2015, 10:29 PM   #183
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Well I'm happy that you guys like my stuff...My faith has been restored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
What will you use for knock detection, though? Do you know, yet?
This is how much I know about tuning.....I have no idea what knock detection is....or what i'm going to use...lol..
Someone skool me on that

Old 12-22-2015, 03:40 AM   #184
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Since the trionic cars use the ignition cassette to tell when the engine's knocking and haltec won't use the original ignition cassette, you'll have to find a new way to keep the engine safe. My old 4g64 friends used a system called j&s, but I'm sure haltec has some standard solutions. You may end up having to weld a bung onto the block for a knock sensor, or you may be able to use another manufacturers coils that have knock detection built in.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #185
Avid TSL User

I'm monitoring this thread too. I fully understand the decision to go standalone if you have a good local tuner to work with who knows another system.

People are probably asking because trionic is one of the most interesting things about saab. It uses the ignition coils to measure the resistance across the spark plug gap whenever not firing. The electrical resistance changes as charge air is drawn into the cylinder, compressed, ignited, and exhausted. Fire is a plasma and highly conductive. The resistance values roughly follow a sine wave proportional to engine speed with noticeable disturbances corresponding to the major events of the 4 stroke cycle.

Trionic uses this stream of resistance value samples to determine the cam position relative to the crank instead of using a cam position sensor. It also uses it to detect misfires instead of using a piezoacoustic microphone. Engines vibrate and rattle a lot so piezo mics need to be paired with well-tuned software to identify knock accurately among all the normal noise a particular engine is observed to make when bolted to a particular car. Mitsubishi had a really good system, subaru didn't, etc. Detecting knock with resistance values avoids some of these problems, but not many companies other than saab ever caught on. BMW did it with the v10 m5/m6 a couple generations back, and I was thrilled to see mazda is doing it with the new ND miata.

The direct ignition cassette outputs knock signals per cylinder on different wires, so it's technically possible to wire it into another kind of ecu than a trionic. It depends on how customizable your aftermarket system is and how much your tuner is willing to venture out of the ordinary. At that point you're reinventing trionic though, so probably not worth it.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:44 AM   #186

I'll ask my tuner about knock detection when I see mid January
Old 01-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #187
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Lots of us quietly watching with bated breath to see this beast fire up!
Old 01-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogan View Post
Not much interest around here for my build....I only keep updating for a build log of what I have done...
I cant raise an eyebrow.... I hope you keep checking out my progress..

Cheers Guys... merry christmas
For Petes sake Bobby! I read this thread every time I see an update. You are just so much cooler then me I have nothing to add. I would like to do this someday, with an rx8 (I know it's been done, but that car is not in my driveway and I need one).
Old 01-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #189
Elder

I like to keep an eye on this thread because I like seeing the saab transplant. I only rag on you for not using T5 because that's really what makes it saab. otherwise you might as well have thrown any generic 4 cylinder engine in the car.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #190

Send a message via AIM to chevyman
Great swap! I've always wanted to swap a Saab engine in another vehicle, maybe someday. In the meantime its nice seeing the progress youve been making. Im sure itll be awesome when its all finished up.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #191
SAABeginner

Send a message via MSN to ice_ca900
I don't post very often..more of a reader. This thread is one of the main reasons I check in here, to see your progress. I tend to agree you should be sticking with the T5. There are siteswhere you yourself can actually learn the system, and there are people here who will sell you T5 builds tailored to what you want the engine to do.
BTW it is also very cheap to tune in comparison to other management systems ..PM Mike D for help.
You can always have a stock ecu and a Staged one on hand. That way you can switch the stock unit in to get you home if you run into issues.

Last edited by ice_ca900; 01-05-2016 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:30 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
I like to keep an eye on this thread because I like seeing the saab transplant. I only rag on you for not using T5 because that's really what makes it saab. otherwise you might as well have thrown any generic 4 cylinder engine in the car.
...I only put a saab engine in the car because i have 4 spare engines in my garage...If I was in the states with you guys....I would stick with T5 for sure.. Cheers mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
For Petes sake Bobby! I read this thread every time I see an update. You are just so much cooler then me I have nothing to add. I would like to do this someday, with an rx8 (I know it's been done, but that car is not in my driveway and I need one).
Thanks Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
Great swap! I've always wanted to swap a Saab engine in another vehicle, maybe someday. In the meantime its nice seeing the progress youve been making. Im sure itll be awesome when its all finished up.
thanks Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_ca900 View Post
I don't post very often..more of a reader. This thread is one of the main reasons I check in here, to see your progress. I tend to agree you should be sticking with the T5. There are siteswhere you yourself can actually learn the system, and there are people here who will sell you T5 builds tailored to what you want the engine to do.
BTW it is also very cheap to tune in comparison to other management systems ..PM Mike D for help.
You can always have a stock ecu and a Staged one on hand. That way you can switch the stock unit in to get you home if you run into issues.
Hey there Ice...
Ive been around the Saab game for a few years now and have built a couple of cars...search my threads
I'm a hardware guy ...I hate software,..... I strugle to install a stereo....lol
I do mechanics...I leave the tuning to the guys who know what they are doing. I'n Australia, I have no software support here...
Old 01-06-2016, 01:30 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSabbert View Post
Lots of us quietly watching with bated breath to see this beast fire up!
Hello Bob
Old 01-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #194
SAABeginner

Nice work.!! I believe the b204 is a very stout engine which has been overlooked by the tuner world. After working on many different Japanese engines even the mitsu 4g63, I really am impressed with the SAAB engine mainly the strength and power that can be had on stock internals. Its just a pain since its such a small scene with very little support. The guys we do have are excellent though, ie JZW , Taliferro ect. All that said I eventually want to put a version of our engine in a small AWD platform SEE Gustav's old EMS. to go up against the evos and such. Keep up the good work. We will all learn from your setup. Thanks
Old 01-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver9-3 View Post
Nice work.!! I believe the b204 is a very stout engine which has been overlooked by the tuner world. After working on many different Japanese engines even the mitsu 4g63, I really am impressed with the SAAB engine mainly the strength and power that can be had on stock internals. Its just a pain since its such a small scene with very little support. The guys we do have are excellent though, ie JZW , Taliferro ect. All that said I eventually want to put a version of our engine in a small AWD platform SEE Gustav's old EMS. to go up against the evos and such. Keep up the good work. We will all learn from your setup. Thanks
I agree with you.!
When I tell people I'm putting a Saab engine in my car, they laugh at me..Then I say I can get 400hp + on stock internals...they stop laughing.!

Thanks for the Kudos Guys....I'm glad my thread is getting looked at..and I hope I am helping someone else who is trying to RWD a Saab engine...There is not much information around..

My intake plenum is nearly finished...I'm using short LS style injectors...and I have been tossing and turning about what turbo to use...Torn between a Holset He351cw..and a Garrett GTX 3071..
I leaning towards the Garrett GTX...but that could change..lol
Old 01-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #196

I love the Saab motors (b2xx) but I think one reason they are overlooked is that they are iron blocks. It seems like they would get more love if they were all aluminum. It's probably not more than 20 pounds difference, but yeah.

I love how cheap they are and personally I will be using t5 because it seems like nearly a standalone system that can be had for pennies. I don't know much about tuning either, so I'm starting to learn on my 900se. I think even without much of a tune (like a stage 1) it would run well enough to be fun. Then perhaps a mailbox tune with jzw or others. Sure you may not squueze all the power out, but it might be a good start while you get everything sorted out.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #197

Update,,...

I got my intake plenum finished....
It uses L.S style short injectors amd has a 70mm billet throttle body
The runners all have trumpet style inlets...

I'm very happy with the end result ..

Next .....Getting a tubular exhaust mani made up...
And I.C install..
Old 02-07-2016, 02:12 AM   #198
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Wow that's pretty!
Old 02-07-2016, 06:34 AM   #199

Beauty.

Wife doesn't mind parts on the kitchen conter?
Old 02-07-2016, 06:39 AM   #200
Elder

Yeah, that's super nice.

What's your plan for this car when it's finished, are you going to daily drive/commute with it?

I showed my wife your parts on the counter, she shrugged and said something like 'that's what I expect' lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.