forge recirc valve question - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
TSLMember

forge recirc valve question

I just installed a forge recirc valve on my viggen it sounds nice however it sounds like the spring is "bouncing" when Ilet off the gas otherwise it seems like it is holding boost better
I am currently using the stock green spring which should be.ok for a viggen somewhere in the vicinity of stage 2 as I have been told anyway thanks for your input
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

thats normal. itll flutter if you let off the throttle slightly. let off completely and it will discharge the pressure side in one shot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
TSLMember

That's what I thought thanks pat

Old 12-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #4

no problem

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Put the lightest spring in the valve. Perhaps in yllwjets mondo-pressure car it flutters a bit, but in most cases it shouldn't.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
TSLMember

I didn't change out the springs used the stock (green) spring . I was thinking that maybe it need a spacer to compensate but maybe I'm thinking wrong . I know mike d tuned it to an aggressive stage 2 but I can't imagine needing to go up to a heavier spring if Nick T runs the same spring on his viggen which puts out a hell of a lot more power than I do.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Put the lightest spring in the valve. Perhaps in yllwjets mondo-pressure car it flutters a bit, but in most cases it shouldn't.
i only ran this valve with the stock turbo setup. it doenst flutter under accelaration but only when you slightly let of the gas it will flutter because there isnt enough vacuum to open the valve 100%. only when you let off the pedal completely will it open 100% with the required vacuum to open it.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #8
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yllwJet View Post
i only ran this valve with the stock turbo setup. it doenst flutter under accelaration but only when you slightly let of the gas it will flutter because there isnt enough vacuum to open the valve 100%. only when you let off the pedal completely will it open 100% with the required vacuum to open it.
This has never happened to any of my T7 cars ever. I can go full throttle and let of super slow with NO flutter.

Not sure if you or the OP had that dumb distribution valve still connected either: T7 Turbo Bypass Valve Mods – TrollTuner

Also, did you buy the valve used?

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #9

I can get some pretty bad flutter on T5 if I let off slowly/just right with my forge, but I have to be really trying to get it to do it. Freshly greased too.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Marks9-3
My Forge flutters after slowly letting up after being under mild load. Freshly greased and everything, would still do it. My ng900 did it (different Forge valve), and my 9-3 did it with the t25 stg3 and still with the 19t.

Last edited by Marks9-3; 12-05-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #11
TSLMember

I did the bypass valve mod recently when I redid my vacuum lines, the weird thing is, I notice the flutter when I get off the gas totally, I just installed the valve like it was out of the box. I guess my question was would I get less flutter if I add a spacer or is it normal, It doesn't seem as if anything is wrong I just wanted to make sure it was operating normally. This is my fist turbo car somethings are a little foreign to me, so I thought I would ask you all. If I would have got a response to the effect "DON'T DO THAT YOU WILL BLOW UP YOUR ENGINE" that would have been a key indicator I was headed down the wrong path. It sounds like I'm ok though.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #12

If you add a spacer, you'll increase the pressure needed to open the piston which will cause it to flutter worse.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
TSLMember

i wasnt sure exactly how that worked, thanks for the info,that being said when you start running higher boost pressures ie bigger turbo forged pistons etc. it will actually flutter less because more pressure is acting against the spring??
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by redviggen View Post
i wasnt sure exactly how that worked, thanks for the info,that being said when you start running higher boost pressures ie bigger turbo forged pistons etc. it will actually flutter less because more pressure is acting against the spring??
This depends upon how you have the Forge valve mounted.

I had the opposite problem where my Forge valve opened too quickly and stayed open when accelerating under partial throttle. This was only evident when running it as a BOV (T5) - you could hear the BOV releasing when accelerating under partial throttle.

I run the blue spring now with one shim to keep it closed under these vacuum conditions. I also run the valve backwards with the air pressure directly against the spring versus against the side of the valve. I don't get flutter and it holds all 28 PSI. My Forge valve would leak air when I ran it with the air pressure against the side of the valve.

Last edited by Jaws; 12-05-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
TSLMember

I didn't think a recirc valve could get this complicated maybe ill try mounting it backwards and see if it still flutters if it does I guess that's the way it is supposed to be
Old 12-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #16

Quote:
I didn't think a recirc valve could get this complicated maybe ill try mounting it backwards and see if it still flutters if it does I guess that's the way it is supposed to be
the little vaccum line port should be facing your battery

Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #17
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
I just installed a forge recirc valve on my viggen it sounds nice however it sounds like the spring is "bouncing" when Ilet off the gas otherwise it seems like it is holding boost better
I am currently using the stock green spring which should be.ok for a viggen somewhere in the vicinity of stage 2 as I have been told anyway thanks for your input
I bet the noise is a bit of compressor surge and not the BOV at all. My valve has never "fluttered" only a loud "WHOSH".

A bit a compressor surge wont hurt.

When I was tuning my forge I thought that I also had the "Green" spring installed. Turns out It was actually a "Blue" spring.It's a real shitty color blue too , almost A dark green.
So as it turned out my valve came standard with a blue spring. The green spring is very soft

P.S I run my Forge backwards aswell

Last edited by bogan; 12-05-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
lms
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Hyperboost shorty, out of box, no extra springs which really are just for your shelf, done!
It's funny how many people buy this same valve, which works fine, but they still post about fluttering, spring types, etc. The hyperboost rocks!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I took a crappy video of my car not surging after stabbing it and letting off slow. If anyone wants to see it, ill upload it. Kinda hard to hear.

Quote:
Old 12-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #20
TSLMember

I would be interested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.