Saab Link Forums banner

Gs short shifter install

14K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Turbo00 
#1 ·
Hey There Guys,

I'm installing a short shifter on the weekend.

Anybody got any tips or advice?

Cheers

#2 ·
Just did this a couple nights ago. I didn't have any instructions included (should have been??) so I apologize if this is in there already.

1st tip. Leave it neutral. This way you can just barely get a socket on the shift rid bolt. I was able o sneak the extensions between the shifter housing and the white plastic guide inside.

And put the lower dash parts back together correctly each time you reassemble from a previous fuckup. And don't forget the air vent piping after you have it all buttoned up, again.

Last tip. Leave the sour diesel for when your finished.

It's really not that difficult. And certainly remove the reverse lockout Mechanism while your in there.

#20 ·
Just did this a couple nights ago. I didn't have any instructions included (should have been??) so I apologize if this is in there already.

1st tip. Leave it neutral. This way you can just barely get a socket on the shift rid bolt. I was able o sneak the extensions between the shifter housing and the white plastic guide inside.

And put the lower dash parts back together correctly each time you reassemble from a previous fuckup. And don't forget the air vent piping after you have it all buttoned up, again.

Last tip. Leave the sour diesel for when your finished.

It's really not that difficult. And certainly remove the reverse lockout Mechanism while your in there.
bahahaha :th_SmlyROFL::th_MySaab900Like:

#3 ·
Yea, removing that bolt from the rod to the linkage is a pain. On reinstall, I drilled a hole in the side of the housing big enough to slip the socket through to save myself some misery.

Make sure you have some means of grinding down the shift housing around where the new GS unit mounts (to match the template they include), a dremel and a couple grinding wheels worked fine for me, you could just as easily use a drill.

Go easy (to the extent you can) on the shift knob when you're yanking it off. I broke the plastic insert in mine, so I had to order another...not a big deal, like $50 for a nice new leather one, but keep it in mind.

#10 ·
Thanks Christos,

That's what I thought.
I stripped the shifter housing so there is just the key barrel and the shifter.

I just got it back in. It feels good so far.

I just got to remember how all the center console goes back together.

#12 ·
eh i think i bent or f*cked something up when i did mine...now its a motherf*cker to get into reverse.....sometimes itll go right in others...i have to go through all the gears then into reverse...and somtimes that dosnt work...sooo i have to put it in first and let the clutch out till it engages and as im still moving forward hurry up and put it in reverse.... sooo just take it easy and dont get upset and start yanking,pulling, cussing stuff. haha btw i also drilled a hole on the housing... made it a breeze when i had to take it back out to tighten the bolts holding the shifter in.

#16 ·
I've been living with mine for almost two years and love it. I recently had an issue where I lost 5th gear. Turns out the reverse lockout block loosened and allowed the shifter rod to overshoot the the gate.

I recommend using Loctite on the two screws that attach the block and when first adjusting it, use shims (between it and the old lockout block's mount) to hold it in place so you can tighten it without it moving.

#23 ·
Yep. Just installed the GS shifter last weekend, and before I bolted everything down I tried it without the plastic clip--seemed much harder to find the low gears, so I put the clip back in. I almost broke it trying to loosen the shift linkage bolt too, good thing I restrained myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.