F25 Cobalt SS Internals Swap Discussion - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
SAABeginner

F25 Cobalt SS Internals Swap Discussion

Hey all!

This is my first post on TSL; glad to be a part of the community.

So, there has been talk here and there about swapping the internals of the Cobalt F40 gearbox into our F25s. I know Nick said on his site that it's a direct swap.

Has anyone on here actually done this modification? If so, does it function well? It'd be nice to get a discussion going and perhaps a walkthrough guide and/or PN list. I'd be willing, at some point, to pick up an extra F25 box and put the F40 (6-spd SS, correct me if I'm wrong here) internals in it to test the theory.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

the quaife 6 speed gearset is actually built for the cobalts, so yes im sure you can swap it in, but i have no idea how or what extra things need to be done. maybe you can figure it out and let us all know

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

There was a thread started about dropping one into a 9k (mentioned that to you earlier today I think), but nothing ever came of it that I recall.

1983 900 8v turbo- sold
1998 900 SE- sold
1995 9000 CSE

Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
WSW
Elder

I believe jzw or nick t toyed with this or actually completed the swap... I remember there being a thread Bout it
Old 07-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSW View Post
I believe jzw or nick t toyed with this or actually completed the swap... I remember there being a thread Bout it
link?

1983 900 8v turbo- sold
1998 900 SE- sold
1995 9000 CSE
Old 07-09-2011, 01:56 AM   #6

NO, no and wrong.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 07-09-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
NO, no and wrong.
Which part(s) of it?

1983 900 8v turbo- sold
1998 900 SE- sold
1995 9000 CSE
Old 07-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #8

Cobalt F25 to Saab F25 sure, But the F40 is a Totally different animal, I'll get around to tearing apart the F40 i've been sitting on so you guys can see the diffrences. The bolts holding the case together might swap just fine but I'm thinking thats Just about it.

Patrics Quaife, "

Brooks Amio's Rebuild

F25/25 LSD for Marky down around DC

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 07-09-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
Elder

the cobalt swap was completed on one 9k.

as far as i know thats all that was ever done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #10

i wonder if the f23 cobalt/saturn/hhr lsd will work on a f25?

and where did you buy that lsd for f25 trans?

http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/gearbox.htm great write up

"6speed Quaife F25/35 Gearset
There is nothing Saab specific here. The kit was developed to fit the Cobalt SS and similar F35 cars. it just happens to fit in the F25 cases also. For the NG900/9-3 and 9-5 it is a straight swap. For the 9000 94-98 since the trans mount is part of the end case that is changed you have to fabricate a new mount assembly. This is just the gearset and you need to have some extra parts from Saab to make it all work. The final drive can be selected from the few that we have from 4.05 std in 9-3/9-5, 4.45 and 3.82 so you can move the gearing around. You will need to have the ring and pinion as a set. Not the easiest to swap but still an option.
The biggest reason to run the new gearset is the higher first and closer rest of the gears 6th is acutally about the same as the higher geared 9-3s. "

Last edited by pitman; 07-09-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #11

F23 is a Gutrag from Italy, Also totally different.

F25's came in Opel, Saab, Vaxhaull, I think Pontiacs, Saturns? & Cobalts.

Mark bought the f25 Diff from Nick like most people. I have got them from Abbot but Nicks prices are Way better.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 07-09-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #12

after some reading i think the f35 lsd will work for f25. idk but from what i read both trans are the same except the axle splines
Old 07-11-2011, 04:11 AM   #13
Greek Mod
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to grkguy89
you'll need front axles, wheel hubs, and wheel speed sensors off a viggen for it to work

Quote:
Current Activity: Moderating
Old 07-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkguy89 View Post
you'll need front axles, wheel hubs, and wheel speed sensors off a viggen for it to work
^this!

parakalo
Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #15

damn thought it was the same. on nicks site it says they are the same except those things you mentioned plus the spline on trans. but internally they are the same? idk

if internals are the same it should be direct swap? i dont see why i would need the speed sensor, axles or wheel hubs if im swaping a lsd and keep the f25 setup. idk tho im researching this trying to learn a little
Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman View Post
damn thought it was the same. on nicks site it says they are the same except those things you mentioned plus the spline on trans. but internally they are the same? idk

if internals are the same it should be direct swap? i dont see why i would need the speed sensor, axles or wheel hubs if im swaping a lsd and keep the f25 setup. idk tho im researching this trying to learn a little
You Just need the LSD that Fits the F25. Its a Different part than the one listed for the F35 Viggen&95/Cobalt. The f25= Small axle, F35 =Big axle.

Last edited by Harvey's Autohaus; 07-11-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
You Just need the LSD that Fits the F25. Its a Different part than the one listed for the F35 Viggen&95/Cobalt. The f25= Small axle, F35 =Big axle.
can you fit the inside part of a bigger axle to the smaller axle? so it fits or no
Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #18
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
Coabalt SS/sc is using the F35 With Ecotec bellhousing and cable shift. This is the same part as used in the 9-3 2003 onwards. There are some with gearing differences HHRvs Cobalt etc. These internals work in F35 rod shift 9-3 99-02 and older 94-98 F25 if you carefully swap the right parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman View Post
can you fit the inside part of a bigger axle to the smaller axle? so it fits or no
F35Diff and /Viggen/9-5 Diff Bearing retainer are all that you need to make a Normal 9-3 99-02 into a Viggen. Easy enough when setting Diff preload to swap the cover

All you need swapping to Viggen axles is to clearance the upright for the ABS ring and the Vig specific ABS sensor BRACKETs to space the factory sensors out more to accomodate the larger 9-5 style outer CV.

There are variations of the F25 and also the F35. That is not all you need to describe the -box.

F40 was never in Cobalt, Internals wont swap to F35 at all but for the Diff Bearings. They are the same.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 07-16-2011, 03:22 AM   #19
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineSaab View Post
Coabalt SS/sc is using the F35 With Ecotec bellhousing and cable shift. This is the same part as used in the 9-3 2003 onwards. There are some with gearing differences HHRvs Cobalt etc. These internals work in F35 rod shift 9-3 99-02 and older 94-98 F25 if you carefully swap the right parts.

F35Diff and /Viggen/9-5 Diff Bearing retainer are all that you need to make a Normal 9-3 99-02 into a Viggen. Easy enough when setting Diff preload to swap the cover

All you need swapping to Viggen axles is to clearance the upright for the ABS ring and the Vig specific ABS sensor BRACKETs to space the factory sensors out more to accomodate the larger 9-5 style outer CV.

There are variations of the F25 and also the F35. That is not all you need to describe the -box.

F40 was never in Cobalt, Internals wont swap to F35 at all but for the Diff Bearings. They are the same.
Sorry for thread hijack, but I wonder is there any gearbox which is direct swap to 98-02 9-3's? I mean, considering that converting to cable shift is not an issue...
Old 07-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #20

Lets compare Diffs, F35 Left, F25 right
Take notice of the Extension on the F35 to take the Load of the drivers side axle. Its a big improvement over the Bushing we are replacing these days on the F25's

Spider gears on the f35 are Just plain Bigger

F35

F25

Axle's F35 Left F25 right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cobalt, f25, f40, internals, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.