6 point subframe brace ? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to 2legit2quit
6 point subframe brace ?

So a friend has a 6point subframe brace he'd be wiling to sell me for basically 160$. And ive been thinking about getting it, but have mixed feelings basically i wanna know if its really worth it. I mainly only hear about hiuge difference in verts and viggens and i have neither i drive a 98 900se auto stage 2. And i enjoy going around turns fast and everything but i dont have the stickiest tires so im wondering if its worth it and what exactly kind of improvement i will feel.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #2

It's worth it...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Elder

It will feel much more planted through turns, especially on rough pavement. It will reduce some cowel shake as well and provide protection for the oil pan and exhaust which is an added bonus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Old 02-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #4

lalalala i think i might go for it, any spec on how much to torque down the bolts
Old 02-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Elder

30 ft lbs, re-torque after a couple dozen miles.

|
|
Old 02-25-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Things I noticed when I got mine:

- Overall more solid feeling to the car
- Bit of reduced lean in the corners, just a more planted feel as Christian said
- On the highway going over bumps in mid-turn, doesn't upset the car too much and just allows the suspension to absorb the bump

Mind you, I noticed all of this even with my soft, floppy snow tires and not so new (nice way to put it) stock shocks and springs. It is worth it for the new price of $200+ but for 160 I think its a no-brainer.

99' Viggen
Old 02-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
Elder

"Back in the day", when Abbott Racing was the only aftermarket supplier for NG900's, (anyone remember Group6? -- not Group9, Group6...) their "Viggen Rescue Kit" (two point subframe brace, billet steering rack clamp and firewall/wheel well brace) was $800.

Yep, zero competition lets you set your price, and yep, I paid when I had my Tally.

So, yah: $200 is a fantastic price and it truly refines the car's handling. Saab should have done this from the factory. Well worth it, even when it was $800.

'91 900 Turbo SE Convertible
'93 900 Turbo CE #116, modified
'02 9-5 Aero SportWagon, MT
'06 GTO, modified
'08 9-7X 6.0 Aero. The fastest stock Saab I've owned, bar none.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #8

Ok so im picking this bad boy up on sunday, and i was on genuine saab looking at the install, and im not gonna lie it looked confusing as hell. Is this doable for one person and a jack and some jack stands and what sort of hardware do i need, im getting it used and idk what hardware hes giving me with it, and if he dosnt have the rivets where can i get them.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit View Post
Ok so im picking this bad boy up on sunday, and i was on genuine saab looking at the install, and im not gonna lie it looked confusing as hell. Is this doable for one person and a jack and some jack stands and what sort of hardware do i need, im getting it used and idk what hardware hes giving me with it, and if he dosnt have the rivets where can i get them.
All the things you possibly need minus the tools are included with the subframe brace, including the rivet. It is very easy to do for anyone with even a minimal amount of mechanical skill. All you have to do is drive in the rivet where the instructions direct, slide the two rails that go into the subframe in (might require some bending), and then just bolt up the subframe and go.

|
|
Old 04-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #10

LIKE OMGZ!? so i got my 6 point brace bolted up. Basically i dont understand how anyone uses those crush bolts without an impact gun. like for real it took me and my dad and an impact wrench to get those things crushed and snug tight, but it paid off because they didnt spin whatso ever so that was good.

I know i could check genuine saab but idr what to torque the bolts down to but i torques them down to 33 with a torque wrench

Since i bought it used the dude was missing the 2 short bolts so luckily my local mom and pop hardware store carries all those crazy custom bolts and had them in stock so picked up 2 and all 6 points are bolted up

Not gonna lie no huge difference on cornering tho But it deffinatly makes for a smoother ride over bumpy surfaces and stuff which i love.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:
LIKE OMGZ!? so i got my 6 point brace bolted up. Basically i dont understand how anyone uses those crush bolts without an impact gun. like for real it took me and my dad and an impact wrench to get those things crushed and snug tight, but it paid off because they didnt spin whatso ever so that was good.

Not gonna lie no huge difference on cornering tho But it deffinatly makes for a smoother ride over bumpy surfaces and stuff which i love.
I had to weld mine to the subframe to stop it from turning.

I also was underwhelmed with what it did for the car (for how much people talk it up).

Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
I had to weld mine to the subframe to stop it from turning.

I also was underwhelmed with what it did for the car (for how much people talk it up).
The only things I noticed it reduced tramlining. High speed transitional speed was more controlled. The car felt more solid over choppy surfaces too. When it wasn't in one of these states there was no tangible difference to me. Then again I never did a before and after auto-x w/ it either. Hard to tell. Do I think it makes an improvement? Yes. Is that change as great as the rear anti roll bar? No. Same goes for the steering rack clamp and brace. I do think it does help the cars control though.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #13

yeah im sort of bummed. Butttt whateva. Next investment is to ditch double stack and get the real 22mm rear anti roll bar.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #14
TSLMember

Quote:
yeah im sort of bummed. Butttt whateva. Next investment is to ditch double stack and get the real 22mm rear anti roll bar.
I did mine in the following order and I think I lucked out b/c this is how I would rate the importance...

1. get the rear sway bar.
2. got bilstein HD shocks and struts with strut mount plates at the same time as sway bar

those two alone are worth it!!!! big time!!!

3. did the viggen rescue kit next -- def a difference but not as much as a value for the buck like the above.

4. looking at 6 point frame thingy but not sure it is worth the money
Old 07-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #15
WSW
Elder

Bumping an old thread here. Got a used brace coming my way. Can I reuse all the hardware including the rivet?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #16
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
Rivets are one time use. But GS sells them if you can't find them locally.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=890
Old 07-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
ebay also sells a stainless 6pt w/ hardware version out of europe for under 190 shipped

Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #18
WSW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
Rivets are one time use. But GS sells them if you can't find them locally.

GenuineSaab.com
Thought so, thanks
Old 07-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
The kit is $30 for GS but they wanted $15 to ship the bolts the last time i inquired about it when I was planning on getting a used 6pt with no hardware

Old 07-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #20
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
You can easily find the hardware at a local hardware store, minus the rivenuts.
You'll need to buy them online, find a Fastenal or other fastener store locally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.