96 style rear brakes + SS lines - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 94-98 and 9-3 99-02 Forum > Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3

Performance Modifications for the NG900 / Old 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the NG900 and 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to CooperS7777
96 style rear brakes + SS lines

Has anyone done rear brake lines on their 96 NG's? I have the SS line kit from GS, but just looking at it I dont know if there is anyway I can make it fit.

I talked to Nick and he assures me they are all the same and they will fit - but Im not sure and dont want to get the rear lines off and have an issue where Ive got open brake lines back there because I couldnt get it to fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SQR Performance, Saab Repair & Service

Quote:
Fuck the afterlife, its Miller time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
ERP
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to ERP
I just installed the stainless brake kit from GS on my 1996 NG about two months ago. The install went great. I used Plantoff’s walkthrough for my install. I had to use a pair of vise grips to loosen the crush nuts and the rear is a bit tricky because of the location but that’s about it.

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/2006...s_Brake_Lines/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StainlessDriverRear.jpg (94.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg StainlessFront.jpg (97.5 KB, 9 views)
1996 900 'Aero' 2.3t Sold -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
I did mine a while back. I had some fitment issues with the retaining clip not holding on the "frame"... Some zip ties fixed it right up.

Mine was cake but thats cause I had the gas tank out to do my fuel pump at the same time...

You get some ATE Super Blue to replace your old brake fluid? Perfect time to do that and paint your calipers.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
Elder

So looking at that tutorial - the rear SS lines dont go all the way to the calipers as they do on the front?

And yes, I have a stock of super blue in the garage

Quote:
Old 09-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
dip

Send a message via Skype™ to dip
I ran them on both my NGs. Had the same issues as srp with the clips not holding the lines in the rear. Had to add some thin washers to close the gap. And the location is really awkward. The left side is obstructed by the exhaust, while the right side is blocked by the gas filler pipe. Take your pick.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
Elder

Do the rears run all the way to the calipers?

Quote:
Old 09-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
dip

No, the flex lines only cover a short bend when the rear axle connects to the car. The rest is a hard line all the way to the caliper.

Now if you were to install 9-5 Aero calipers, then you'd have used Nick's replacement braided lines that actually go all the way.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
Elder

FUCK!!!!!!!!

Not only do I feel like an idiot for calling Nick today and asking if maybe my lines were shorter than they should be, but I need new hardline....

Where can I get new hardline for the left rear? I need to replace that caliper but the nut on the end of the line is seized into the caliper/now rounded out.

Quote:
Old 09-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
dip

Try a local junk yard, I guess. I actually have a couple of spares, but are you willing to wait for a package from Canada? ;]

You can find aluminium hard lines at any auto parts store. Buy a pipe and bent it yourself, they are cheap. Not sure what would you do about fittings though.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Pm me your addy, I have one good hard line I dont need. Nice and clean, I just have no idea what side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 09-11-2007, 05:42 AM   #11
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
No worries.. Always good to have a set of line wrenches when doing brake lines. Usually gives you enough to get it loose without rounding the nut. Sometimes the old cars are just too rusty.

Good luck.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.