Potential mods for my '06 Saab 9-3 Aero v6 2.8T - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 '03+ Forum > Performance Modifications for the New 9-3

Performance Modifications for the New 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the new 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Potential mods for my '06 Saab 9-3 Aero v6 2.8T

Hey Saab Geniuses! I have a ton of questions but i am just going to ask the basic ones right now.

1. How much horse power can i possible get out of my Aero? (im sick of losing to these STI and evo9's on the street)

2. What are the basic mods to get to or over 350hp? (Thats where i would love to be sitting at as of right now... 400hp is my goal)

3. Will my goals be possible without major modifications to the engine? (i under stand the stages, as im looking to jump straight to stage 4 or 5) just need turbo specs, intercoolers, air intakes etc.

This as been a huge goal of mine for a while, my first car at 16 was a saab 9-3 linear, but just recently finally found an Aero v6 2.8T that i absolutely fell in love with. So now this is my project to just get the beast into this thing and show these mitsubishi/Subaru/Nissan people what Saabs can really do!
Thanks for the help!

(Also if you can provide me with some rim info, i am looking for some gold rims for this car...having trouble finding them)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #2

I foresee another epic 'Saabs are faster than you think" thread....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
I foresee another epic 'Saabs are faster than you think" thread....
I'm gonna take the high road and be "useful".

Hey Jetlife,

I hear you. The 2.8T is really underutilized and it appears to be able to handle much more boost than it came with. Although mine is the Turbo X with 280hp, I am in the same boat as you - the "giddyap" just isn't there.

Consider starting with a tune from JZW or VTuner, then decide if you want more. Either one will give you upwards of 320ish flywheel horsepower and 400ft-lbs of torque.

If you want more, you're looking at midpipe-downpipe and a tune... and then even further with a turbo upgrade, injectors, and a tune. Intercooler, etc etc etc.

Check out Eric's Turbo X (ERP). JZW did the tuning and parts from Genuine Saab.
Thats all shes got capin, 415bhp/532ft-lb

EDIT: Your '06 came stock with 250bhp and 258ft-lbs. The JZW "Stage 1" yields 320bhp and 409ft-lbs... That's a 70bhp and 151ft-lb gain! I say, try that first and I'll bet it's "good enough".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.

Last edited by IronJoe; 04-04-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
EDIT: Your '06 came stock with 250bhp and 258ft-lbs. The JZW "Stage 1" yields 320bhp and 409ft-lbs... That's a 70bhp and 151ft-lb gain! I say, try that first and I'll bet it's "good enough".
I just gave my dad that same advice for my mom's 07, she wants a little more oomph from it, and i'll bet that would fit the bill! OP, Jzw is great shoot him an email and he'll hook you up!

Old 04-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
TSLMember

The "Stage 0" Vtune will take a 2.8 (the 255 or 280) and a flash only will put you at 320 horses for just a few hundred bucks.

Go on his site but I think his "Stage 2" (actually the 3'rd stage), will put a new turbo on, injectors, plugs and filter and flash and cost a couple of thousand and net out at something like 390 horses.

Go to his site and it's pretty easy to understand. I had a bit more trouble understanding the JWZ site and it looks like he does not do 2.8 engines.

There is also a fellow MikeD who has been doing them for some time now but has started expanding. His prices sounded quite reasonable.

Hirsch is a dead deal in this country from what I know and speaking with the local dealer who was licensed, there is a problem with the agreement now that Saab went under. Their didn't offer tunes for the later 2.8 engines but may have for the early or pre Turbo X series. I think they were about $1,000 + three hours labor for the flash.

Pick the right one and you will really enjoy it.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
SAABeginner

Thumbs up Go for it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
I'm gonna take the high road and be "useful".
Definitely the most bang for the buck! The problem is that you'll probably want more once you have Stage 1
The engine has awesome power midrange after this mod but the power max is already reached at 4,500 rpm so it doesn't feel that sporty. There is a lot more potential in this awesome engine and with stage 5, the peak power is reached at ca. 6000 rpm - so there, almost the whole rpm range is useful (of course, upping the limiter, sports cams, going catless etc. would even top that and prolly yield >500 hp at > 7000 rpm but that's hardly a car suitable for everyday use any more).
Old 11-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Elder

Saabs are faster than you think
Old 11-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
SAAB Road Master

Contact John, if you want to be beating all those cars get his "Stage 5". He keeps improving his tunes for these cars, as recently he attained one for himself!

It is relatively cheap to get to 400+ hp... Typical 3" down pipe, mid pipe, and 3" to the tips. Injector upgrades. 19t turbo, ETS intercooler, intake. And, of course the tune. My old boss, Mike was making over 400bhp with similar mods. You will also need an uprated clutch if it is a manual transmission.

Be ready to have to be replacing spark plugs and ignition coils rather regularly, though.

If I were you I would make sure the engine is healthy, then just go for it! These Aussie V6's are very strong!!! You will not need to do anything internally for awhile if it has been well maintained, with regular oil changes and basic up keep. Good luck! I myself am looking for an Aero after my Viggen build is complete.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
SAABeginner

Hey guys ive been running jzw stage 5 alll summer and am now in need of a upgraded clutch kit and flywheel. i found the spec stg 5 kit but no flywheel upgrades. anybody know of anything out there? and has anybody used the stg 5 clutch kit? thoughts on it?
Old 01-27-2015, 06:26 PM   #10
SAABeginner

Cool saab

well I have a dyno sheet showing a saab 93 aero v6 with 420hp and they say we can only get 415hp and it had a stock intercooler and exhaust so if I had to say how much maybe 450hp in a saab 93 v6 and the car weight 3175 that's bad ass with that typr of power and being that light weight.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:06 AM   #11
SAABeginner

I'm running an 06 aero 2.8t with a JZW stage 3 tune. Absolutely love it, takes off on pretty much everything I run unless they are heavily modded and then still it's a close race. My car only has an intake, full 3" stainless steel exhaust and some aftermarket suspension bushings along with a turbo inlet pipe I installed yesterday. If you want power talk to John at JZW, just with a tune it makes an enormous difference.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:10 AM   #12
SAABeginner

JZW has a nice tune out for the 2.8tAeros so far he has netted this highest hp and tq increase out there with his aggressive tune. I spoke with him personally and he said he can have the 2.8tAeros cranking out well over their marks on stock internals. He was actually impressed with what I did with my 06 2.8tAero , I'm almost 300bhp off just adjusting stock parts so once i get a tune I'll ve making alot more hp than I'm supposed to be just for a couple hundred bucks. Sti's and evo s get whooped on by me. As a matter of fact I just had one last night that was boosting over 25psi try to race me and i blew him away. He followed me just to tell me he has never been walked by a saab before and couldn't believe the power I'm making to leave him sitting like did. There is alit if trucks to get more outta your stock 2.8tAero if you take the time to research it! I'll bet about 350+hp and close to 455+tq off a simple tune. I've already got the car making almost double the boost its supposed to have just off simple adjustments and tinkering.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #13
SAABeginner

How much did it cost to get to where you have it now just curious...sounds like a lot of fun ?
Old 03-15-2017, 04:32 AM   #14
Drew In Houston
Elder

Saabs are faster than you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.