Engine Swap!! Which engine though? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 03+ Forum > Performance Modifications for the New 9-3

Performance Modifications for the New 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the new 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
SAABeginner

Engine Swap!! Which engine though?

So im planing on starting a pretty big project on my 2004 Saab 9-3. However im about to hit 150k miles which im pretty concerned about, because of the money ill need to dump into the car to complete my project... So anyways this forum was just created to see what kind of engines i might be able to use to do a successful engine swap in my 9-3, or to see if i could even do a engine swap in this unique car.

The engine i am most interested in was the Neo 6 2.5liter turbo from 2000 nissan R34, or some kinda engine that is AWD. Just a reminder im looking for an engine that will give me more BHP then my regular 2004 saab engine. Im open to any ideas as im anxious to get this project under way. Any information is appreciated.

Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #2

Why not just rebuild your existing engine for more power? A swap would require a lot of serious fabrication.

You have a GM Ecotec engine, and the power outputs and parts needed are extremely well documented. Search for the GM Ecotec Build Book and hang out on the Cobalt forums...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlife_SAAB View Post
some kinda engine that is AWD
I don't get it. Agree with Mike, it's a well built & proven engine. I'm not sure what you gain by departing...

Old 10-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
SAABeginner

im more worried about the miles. If an engine goes... it goes right? or would rebuilding the engine prevent this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Slow Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Slow Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlife_SAAB View Post
im more worried about the miles. If an engine goes... it goes right? or would rebuilding the engine prevent this?
Rebuilding would "prevent" this, since you could get Forged JE Pistons (genuinesaab.com), new bearings, etc, etc... Doing an engine swap with an engine from another car would require serious fabrication and you would never see your ROI in my opinion.

The Ecotec motors in those cars are excellent. My wife's '04 had 193k miles on it when we traded it in, and the engine was still as strong as the day we bought it.

Just remember, these are similar to the motors in the Cobalt SS, only better!

Rebuild the motors, throw a buncha boost at it. You'll have some fun without wasting money.
'02 Saab 9-3 Viggen Covertible
'99 Saab 9-3 Viggen 3-Dr
'84 Saab 900 Turbo 3-Dr
'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi
Old 10-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Joe View Post
Rebuilding would "prevent" this, since you could get Forged JE Pistons (genuinesaab.com), new bearings, etc, etc... Doing an engine swap with an engine from another car would require serious fabrication and you would never see your ROI in my opinion.

The Ecotec motors in those cars are excellent. My wife's '04 had 193k miles on it when we traded it in, and the engine was still as strong as the day we bought it.

Just remember, these are similar to the motors in the Cobalt SS, only better!

Rebuild the motors, throw a buncha boost at it. You'll have some fun without wasting money.
All of this, x10.

You'd be MUCH better off with a rebuild, and you'll be able to find the parts fairly easily. The GM Ecotecs have been taken to over 1,000 hp by testing the engines to failure, analyzing the broken parts, and then substituting stronger components until others fail...then repeating the process.

An engine swap just invites problems unless you have years of fabrication experience under your belt.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
SAABeginner

Thanks guys!! i appreciate it! Looks like im just going to plan a rebuild with in the next couple of years!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.