AR gt20 upgrade - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab New 9-3 03+ Forum > Performance Modifications for the New 9-3

Performance Modifications for the New 9-3 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the new 9-3. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

AR gt20 upgrade

Anyone have or know anyone that has done this upgrade?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to soggy
..... no. Most people stick with the td04 series and go up to a -16T / -18T
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-06-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy View Post
..... no. Most people stick with the td04 series and go up to a -16T / -18T
Sorry, I meant for the Linear. The GT20 does not require Trionic 8 to be retuned.

I want to try at GT2259 as a bolt-on upgrade and was looking for any input.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #4

I've never heard of a turbo upgrade not requiring a new tune on a T8 car. Where'd you hear this? I'm not too familiar with the GT20 though =/
Old 05-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
I've never heard of a turbo upgrade not requiring a new tune on a T8 car. Where'd you hear this? I'm not too familiar with the GT20 though =/
I spoke to someone at Abbott Racing. He said it does not require a tune due to the minimal change in turbo speed. I will be seeing if this holds true for the GT22 as well.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97civicexvtec View Post
I spoke to someone at Abbott Racing. He said it does not require a tune due to the minimal change in turbo speed. I will be seeing if this holds true for the GT22 as well.
Why bother with a minimal turbo change?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Why bother with a minimal turbo change?
I like not having lag.

The GT20 gives a 10bhp increase at stock boost pressure. I figure that you will see even more gains after a stage 1 tune.

Last edited by 97civicexvtec; 05-07-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
Stay with your stock turbo and do the stage 1 ppc from BSR if your wanting more power. For the time and money you'll have to put in to swap for a minimal turbo change it really won't be worth it.

What turbo is on your car stock anyways.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahumCC View Post
Stay with your stock turbo and do the stage 1 ppc from BSR if your wanting more power. For the time and money you'll have to put in to swap for a minimal turbo change it really won't be worth it.

What turbo is on your car stock anyways.
I've been told its a GT17 but that turbo isn't advertised by Garrett.

I planned on doing the turbo swap and BSR stage 1.

EDIT: The GT22s sell for around $750. A lot cheaper then then the BSR TD04 rip-off for 1650 euros.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to NahumCC Send a message via MSN to NahumCC Send a message via Yahoo to NahumCC
GT17 was the og9-3. I think for the first ss aero's it was a td04-13t. I'm gonna check part numbers and see what I can find.

You could also call Nick at genuinesaab and talk to him and find out what will be a more worthwhile upgrade in turbo's if your gonna dig and do all that work.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #11

Quote:
GT17 was the og9-3. I think for the first ss aero's it was a td04-13t. I'm gonna check part numbers and see what I can find.

You could also call Nick at genuinesaab and talk to him and find out what will be a more worthwhile upgrade in turbo's if your gonna dig and do all that work.
He's rocking a linear.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #12
Elder

Quote:
He's rocking a linear.
I know that. What I was trying to figure out was which turbo's came on the 9-3 SS linear; I couldn't find it. That's why I said for him to give Nick a call and see if it was really worth all the trouble to swap to that turbo or go a different route.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:27 AM   #13
SAAB Road Master

I spoke with Abbott Racing again.

The stock B207L and LE turbo is a Garrett GT20528.

Saab part # 12755106

The stock GT20 is good for 225hp safely. The GT2259 I am looking at for an upgrade is good for 280.

Last edited by 97civicexvtec; 05-09-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:51 AM   #14
Elder

Find out how much the td04 is good for as you can find them on car-parts.com for around 400 dollars.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:21 AM   #15
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Find out how much the td04 is good for as you can find them on car-parts.com for around 400 dollars.
I found a comparison sheet on Garrett's website that had the HP ratings for all the turbos. I've been looking for the same thing for Mitsubishi turbos, but to no avail. Maybe someone else could chime in.

To run a td04, I would need software and the oil/water lines right? I wanted to try a cheap bolt-on for now. I am not looking to build this car over 250bhp.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:26 AM   #16
Elder

Mitsubishi doesn't put out sheets like that for there turbos. What they have is a CFM flow sheet.

Call Nick and ask him. Not many people have changed turbos at all on the 9-3 SS because of the limited software tuning. If anybody knows it'll be Nick. You might also find changing from your stock turbo to the one your considering will need some custom lines and an adapter for your downpipe.

I also can't believe that Abbott would say you don't need to change software to be matched for that/any turbo. It's going to have completely different characteristics in flow and fuel needs.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:56 AM   #17
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
I also can't believe that Abbott would say you don't need to change software to be matched for that/any turbo. It's going to have completely different characteristics in flow and fuel needs.
The upgrade they offer is is only a slightly larger GT2052.

Why is it that you can upgrade to a td04 without a tune and only have lag problems?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:02 AM   #18
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97civicexvtec View Post
The upgrade they offer is is only a slightly larger GT2052.

Why is it that you can upgrade to a td04 without a tune and only have lag problems?
I do not suggest or recommend changing to a td04 on any other saab without the proper software mapping to match. I ran for one day on my td04 until my software camn in but I left it at base boost by unplugging my bpc.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:10 AM   #19
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
I do not suggest or recommend changing to a td04 on any other saab without the proper software mapping to match. I ran for one day on my td04 until my software camn in but I left it at base boost by unplugging my bpc.
I re-read the AR turbo upgrade and says its good for 10bhp after the ECU has been upgraded. So I'm assuming no gains will be seen on the stock tune, as Trionic will adapt.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:52 AM   #20
Elder

10hp for all that time and money to change to only a slightly larger turbo and their software..........PASS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.