wow i cant figure out what to do with my 91 9kt - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > Performance Modifications for the 9000

Performance Modifications for the 9000 This forum contains PERFORMANCE related Q&A's for the Saab 9000. This may also include suspension.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
Elder

wow i cant figure out what to do with my 91 9kt

i definatly want more power, but DI/APC is a system that few people bother to tune..... how hard is it to swap in a wiring harness from a T5 car... i havent decided what im going to do yet but im thinking about ether converting to T5 or running SD chips with full 3 inch exaust and a TD04 turbo, and probly an 85 900t exaust cam. any suggestions would be nice,,,, thanks
JP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

I talked to Fredrik of maptun about this

On later cars its a bitch of a job

however if you can find a 93 trionic it was basically a di/apc in one box and so is easy to retrofit
you still have to take out the loom but the sensors are all the same (not so in the later years)

And they have tuning upgrades....

however if it was me I would stick an aftermarket ecu and take it from there...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-20-2006, 02:07 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
megasquirt! its the way to go, i belive you would be the first one to do it on that car though...although it has been done on a 91 900 with LH 2.4 and using a DI cassette, so it shouldnt be that much of a stretch to make it work on a 91 9kt like yours.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
JK
Elder

Metgasquirt is they way I will be going as soon as there is enough money in my bank account to put my '91 back together. The 91 9000T is a quick car because of the 2.3 motor with the short geared transmission and the lack of TCS. Also, In my opinion the "face" of the 1991-1992 9000T is totally badass!

Maybe this winter I will have the car back in one piece and running...one could hope
Old 09-20-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Strider
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK9000s View Post
Metgasquirt is they way I will be going as soon as there is enough money in my bank account to put my '91 back together. The 91 9000T is a quick car because of the 2.3 motor with the short geared transmission and the lack of TCS. Also, In my opinion the "face" of the 1991-1992 9000T is totally badass!

Maybe this winter I will have the car back in one piece and running...one could hope
Yeah hurry up you need to come out to the track with me soon!!!

"My clothes smell like Saab leather (sniff sniff)....Mmmm."
Old 09-20-2006, 03:45 PM   #6
JK
Elder

1991 9000Ts make good track cars from what I hear!
Old 09-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Strider
I can't wait to find out!!! 100+ in turn one at BIR flat out is good times let me tell ya!!! And Road America is even better cause its faster and more entertaining!!!

"My clothes smell like Saab leather (sniff sniff)....Mmmm."
Old 09-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

If your only going to step up to a TDO4 Gary or Jak's eproms should do the trick. Both will probably recommend stepping up to the Red top injectors. We have 5 of them, well 4 of them putting down some good power running their chips. If you plan on going bigger than the TDO4 you will probably have to look for different alternatives, as we hit a brick wall with one of ours. We installed a TO4E with 60trim .50A/R compressor housing and .48A/R exhaust housing and let me tell you I have pulled all but one hair out of my head trying to get this car right at a respectable boost level let alone what we were shooting for. We have tried numerous chips from both of them and have thrown every new part imaginable trying to fix this P.O.S. We haven't decided what to do with yet, definetly leaning towards T5. Luckly the cooling fan quit and it boiled over so I have some time to breath while the head is at the machine shop. Basicly in my experience they are good chips and you can make descent power with them. I would do your hardware mods and then go with the $200 eproms and see what happens before jumping into Megasquirt or T5. Good luck.

Last edited by SAABOOST; 09-28-2006 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
JK
Elder

Yeah...I have some eproms from a now defunkt company that I got 2nd hand/used a few years ago, and I can see how they would help. The '91 was performing probably above the limits of the exhaust, and possibly near the limits of the turbo as well. I will be experimenting with red tops in that car once it is back in one piece.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:59 PM   #10
Elder

megasquirt is prolly as simple as getting eproms...just do that.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabkid37 View Post
megasquirt is prolly as simple as getting eproms...just do that.
Ummm not to start an argument but eproms take only 15 minutes to install and at a cost of only $200 or so, it's a no brainer. If you can't take the chance of blowing $200 on a possible fix, well then you shouldn't be driving a Saab. Besides with the small amount mods that were mentioned the eproms should be enough, it's not like 400whp is the goal. Good luck.

Last edited by SAABOOST; 09-29-2006 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:29 AM   #12

It´s good to hear about you have tuning options.....
I have an DI/APC car and SD dont have no chips for my units.... It´s a shame...
It seems tham my DI/APC and Jetronic units were the last ones before Trionic appears, so there´s no development for these ones....

I tought about megasquirt too, but i prefer the eprom solution ( if there was an option... )
Do you think an eprom destined to another unit could be installed in my ECU´s??
In case anyone bother to confirm that possibility, here are the part #´s:
Black Unit DI/APC - 137008215 and 4300125
Metal Unit saying JETRONIC - 0280000940 and 9126194

Thanks and sorry for the OT but still the same issue...
Old 09-29-2006, 09:17 AM   #13
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Galvas what year/engine does your car have??

Old 09-29-2006, 09:56 AM   #14
JK
Elder

He has a high output b202, so essentially the old, non-balance shaft 2.0T I was under the impression that it uses the same DI/APC/LH that the US Spec 1990 9000T used. Apparently there is nobody making chips for those cars
Old 09-29-2006, 10:00 AM   #15
JK
Elder

http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/item163.htm

^this should work for your car Galvas

Unfortunatly there does not seem to be an upgrade written for his fuel system as of yet.

The reason he is having trouble finding an upgrade from US companies is because in 1992 they did not have a 2.0 LH/DI/APC car in the US...but it is the same engine and system as in the 1990 9000T
Old 09-29-2006, 10:06 AM   #16
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK9000s View Post
http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/item163.htm

^this should work for your car Galvas

Unfortunatly there does not seem to be an upgrade written for his fuel system as of yet.

The reason he is having trouble finding an upgrade from US companies is because in 1992 they did not have a 2.0 LH/DI/APC car in the US...but it is the same engine and system as in the 1990 9000T
Yep, that's exactly what I have in my car now and works great!!

Old 09-29-2006, 12:53 PM   #17

This is the copy - pasted e-mail i get from the S.Dynamics....

" ...Thank you for the Email and inquiry!
Unfortunately, we do not currently support programing for the 940 ECU or DI/APC for your model 9000... "

I asked them if i could run one of the current chips in my car but they never replied....

I simply gave up.... I can´t find anything....
That was one of the things that make me very sad this year ...
Old 09-29-2006, 01:02 PM   #18

[QUOTE=Galvas;160168]This is the copy - pasted e-mail i get from the S.Dynamics....

" ...Thank you for the Email and inquiry!
Unfortunately, we do not currently support programing for the 940 ECU or DI/APC for your model 9000... "

I asked them if i could run one of the current chips in my car but they never replied...

I simply gave up.... I canīt find anything....

You should try Jak Stoll jakstollperformance.com He might be able to help you. Good luck
Old 09-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #19

Copy - pasted e-mail i get from Jak...
" ...Im sorry man I dont have any fuel or DIAPC chips for you...
all I have for you are turbo upgrades & downpipes... "

Last edited by Galvas; 09-29-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:50 PM   #20
JK
Elder

I seriously think that the chips for the 1990 DI/APC would work in your car. You and Newf9000 should compare part numbers for your DI/APC boxes and see what you come up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.