My Honda for summer - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Showoff Forum > Other Pictures

Other Pictures Have something you just want everyone else to see? It can be you, your dog, family, a cute girl next door, your other car...anything!!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
Elder

My Honda for summer

I finally decided to get my motorcycle license, and found a neat bike for sale about an hour and a half away from me.

It's a 1990 Honda cb-1. A 400cc 4cylinder engine with gear driven dohc. I really liked the look of the bike and was able to pick it up for $1400. It isn't in perfect condition but I thought it was a fair price. I'll be fixing a few things on it before spring comes, but it's pretty well set to go. I just need to buy some riding gear so I'm set to go.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Awesome dude, thing looks like a hoot. I have found "slower" bikes to be just as much fun and you don't have to go 100mph!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Elder

Thanks, I have a little experience riding a dirtbike but almost no experience riding a road legal bike. I didn't want to buy something that has more power than I can handle as a first bike. I think this bike will suit me well for some time. And seeing as they were only abailae in the U.S. for '89-'90 I will probably never sell it.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

My only advice is to learn to ride defensively, with braking AND throttle.

Also, I have a 170hp Aprilia and a 48hp Honda. Which do you think I ride more?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Elder

I'm going to say the Honda haha
Old 11-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojohnny View Post
I'm going to say the Honda haha
Hard to argue with waterproof luggage, huge seat and 55mpg!

But weekend hooning belongs here:

Just keep the shiny side up!

Quote:
Old 11-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
SAAB Road Master

Cool bike, TurboJohnny. The relative rarity in a nice bonus, too. That's plenty of power and should be a great first bike. I assume nice and light, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Awesome dude, thing looks like a hoot. I have found "slower" bikes to be just as much fun and you don't have to go 100mph!
^this. IMO, it's 90% about the corners. Full throttle gets boring and tiring.

Quote:
My only advice is to learn to ride defensively, with braking AND throttle.
^this, too. Be always alert and wear good gear. Even being hit by small stones and large bugs makes me appreciate being fully covered with a full-face helmet.
'93 900T Comm.Ed#119
'83 900T 5M 4dr
'87 900S 5M Notch
'88 900S 5M 4dr
'91 & '93 900S 5M 3dr
Parted/scrapped: '82 4dr, '85 3dr,
'86 2dr, '86 3dr, '87 4dr, '90 T3dr.

Last edited by jimbosaab; 11-12-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: quote oops
Old 11-13-2014, 07:01 AM   #8
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Yep, I don't leave the house without riding boots, gloves, full helmet, clear glasses and armored jacket. Turbojohnny, get yourself some gear dude. Work boots are not sufficient. They do not provide the ankle support for when the bike falls on you. Seen too many people get major stitches on their feet from the footpeg cutting them open.

Quote:
Old 11-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
Elder

oh definitely. I'm expecting to spend close to what i spent on the bike, on gear. if not more.
I already bought a pair of these gloves, and i have a decent helmet. I just need to pick out boots, pants, and a jacket.
any recommendations?

Furygan AFS 110 - FC-Moto English
Old 11-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #10
Elder

replaced the stock turn signals with something a little less obtrusive.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #11
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Nice, much better. They look like knockoff Rizomas.

Quote:
Old 11-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Nice, much better. They look like knockoff Rizomas.
Exactly what they are. I wanted rizomas, but $60 per signal?!! I got these from ebay, I think they were $30 a pair.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #13
Avid TSL User

i just wear flipflops and shorts when i ride
Old 11-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #14
Elder

When you ride your big wheel?
Old 12-04-2014, 05:15 AM   #15
Elder

one more add on
Old 02-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #16
Elder

so I actually sold this bike last summer. When I bought it I paid $1400, and I sold it for $1500. I didn't really make any money after adding the small things I did. But oh well.

A couple drove all the way up from the Poconos in PA. and stuffed the bike into their honda element. It was really nice to see it go to a good home. The Honda was a really nice bike, but it was a kind of small for me. (I'm 6' tall and about 250lbs.)

I just wanted a bike that I could cruise around on and not worry much about.

So I bought this...

A 1982 Suzuki GS650L. it is a very comfortable bike that just rides so smoothly. I paid $700, this was a one owner bike with 10k original miles on it. I just had to replace the battery and then pull the carbs off and thoroughly clean them. the speedometer seems to have dried up inside and squeals loudly but I have a replacement on the way. and I might also replace the rear shocks. but other than that I'm just going to keep on riding it. I can't wait to get our bikes out again this spring.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #17
SAAB Road Master

Nothing wrong with using the Honda for a year and coming out even. Too bad it didn't suit you; cool little bike.

The Suzuki certainly takes you in a different direction, but now you're finding what you like. Good deal and should be pretty worry-free.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #18
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Thats awesome. There is something about 80's Japanese bikes.

Quote:
Old 02-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #19
Elder

I agree, I don't think these bikes will ever really go out of style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.