Bought a GTI - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Showoff Forum > Other Pictures

Other Pictures Have something you just want everyone else to see? It can be you, your dog, family, a cute girl next door, your other car...anything!!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Bought a GTI

After a lot of deliberation and a lengthy thread a few months back, I settled on a '16 GTI SE stick 4-door. So far so good, have put around 6k on it since 9/27, averaging around 34mpg in that time. Nothing's broken yet, so I figure with a VW, that's all I can ask. Surprisingly a ton of fun to drive, and just as 'nice' as my F30 was in day-to-day driving.

Day after I picked it up, took a ride up to the Bangor area (~380 miles or so from my house):

Lighting package was around $1200 from VW, I skipped it and picked up some golf R reps to swap in for $400:

Winter mode:

In the spring it'll get a mild 1" drop via standard fixed coils, and a catback. Holding off on an APR tune until it's logged more miles and I know how reliable it'll be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

LAMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Just kidding! Heard good things about the new GTI. First impressions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #3

Good power band, super long gearing. Second will do around 68mph. I've seen 37-38mpg cruising around 75. Much bigger than the older generations, usable hatch and I can fit in the back seat without any issues. Hate to say it, but it feels pretty Saab-y, just with a better chassis. Great seats/fit & finish. Got a pretty good deal (they gave me almost $6k for the 9-3 wagon w/105k, a check engine light, a cracked bumper/carfax accident, and a funky 2-3 shift) and took about $2500 off the sticker.

Complaints? Inst. cluster MMI display sometimes (20% of the time) fails to initialize with the radio. Have to reset radio (hold power for 10 seconds) - haven't brought it in yet. Stock tires are crap, rips them loose all over the place. Undefeatable TCS (goes 'mostly' off). Fake sound maker in the cowl (can unplug, haven't bothered until it gets a catback).

As a daily driver, it's really well suited for my needs. Really wanted to justify an ND Miata but just a wee bit impractical - this is 75% as fun and way more useful. Should keep me entertained for a few years, as long as the VW bro culture doesn't get to me.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

You can defeat the TCS with a tune, yes?

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #5

Tune or I believe through vagcom (teehee). I didn't get the performance package w/VWs new electro-hydraulic LSD. While it would've been super cool, I don't necessarily have a lot of faith in brand new VW tech.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #6

Magnaflow catback. Vortex forums are good for some things. Springs and a larger rear swaybar are up next.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:55 AM   #7

Winter 16-17. Tinted the windows, nothing else other than a lot of miles for work (~25k-ish on it now).

Old 12-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #8
Site Moderator

Nice. Always had a soft spot for those. They just make too much damn sense!

Don't blame your lack of trust in VW tech either. My lady recently had a '12 A4 Wagon on lease. It sounded absolutely awful on a cold start and burned a surprising amount of oil for a new car.

Last edited by jk88; 12-12-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
Elder

There's just something incredibly plain looking about the back half of that car in the profile view.

Must just be that full size rear door.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

It's the econobox showing through. The full rear view looks ok since the car's so wide relative to it's length, but the styling sort of gives up about halfway down the side.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #11

Well that didn't last long. Stripped all the aftermarket stuff and sold to a fellow GTi-bro, traded it in.

Decided to sell the Harley this season - too many close calls and not enough riding time, both compounded w/the new baby. Compromise: '16 Challenger scat pack.

I love it.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #12
Elder

That's a bit of a jump. Hot hatch to a muscle car. nice car though.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #13
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
In for updates on the usability with a car seat.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:52 AM   #14

Ha, made sure it fit first. Rear facing carseats are huge, so the front passenger seat has to be forward about 6" but my wife still fits fine. About the same as the GTI - rear seat in the challenger is way bigger than the mustang/camaro. I can just about sit back there without adjusting my seat.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:27 AM   #15
Elder

Talk about an upgrade!! Looking forward to hearing how you like it. I've had a fair bit of seat time in the Camaro and Mustang, but never driven the Challenger.

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #16
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Friend was looking at a challenger specifically for the baby seats and rwd. Apparently you can put three across the back seat as well.

He ended up buying ultra narrow seats for his current car. Cheaper I guess!
Old 04-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #17
Drew In Houston
Elder

Congrats on the new car. Manual transmission?
Old 04-19-2017, 05:57 AM   #18

Yea, M/T. Was a demo so it had 5k, but was also loaded so vented seats, nav, hk radio, etc. 6th is .5:1 OD, turns around 1800 @ 75 which is neat.

You can in fact run 3 carseats across the back, it has the latches even for the center seat. Once she's in a normal front facing it'll be plenty of room.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:20 PM   #19
Drew In Houston
Elder

That's sweet...485 HP stock, rwd, m/t..these are 'the good old days'.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #20

I'll have to start a thread on the car I guess. Took it on an ~800 mile road trip this past weekend, did 24.3mpg round trip without any real effort and a few wot onramp frumrolls. Really no complaints, and holy shit vented seats are so nice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.