Did something silly. '56 Willys CJ-5 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Showoff Forum > Other Pictures

Other Pictures Have something you just want everyone else to see? It can be you, your dog, family, a cute girl next door, your other car...anything!!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2015, 05:25 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Did something silly. '56 Willys CJ-5

So, my wife has always wanted a jeep. We poked around at YJ's and TJ's, but around here, for something you don't feel bad leaving out in the rain, everything either has a rotted frame or is twice the $ than it should be. On a whim, I drove up to NH to look at a 56 Willys w/a 70's 350 and 33's. Turns out, for about what I'd pay for a hammered TJ, I picked up something way cooler. The tub has been repaired a few times over the years but is all steel (could use a lot of sanding and a repaint), and the old borg-warner T90 3 speed needs a rebuild. She almost lifts the front wheels off the ground when you stomp on it though.

'Murica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

Great picture! That JEEP is all kinds of awesome!

Its nice to hear all your searching and patience paid off.

Well done!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjSJj_Pdjys that is all...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #4
Elder

I like it. That is way cooler than the newer stuff. One of my good friends has a CJ-3 at their place out in the desert for just that reason, and it is awesome.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Thats super cool!

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

check the axles for inexpensive lockers if it pulls the front wheel up. some people add them for offroad use but they aren't great for onroad travel, esp with a lot of turning.

nice rig
Old 07-23-2015, 05:00 AM   #7

Yea, it's still all the o.g. running gear, open 4.88's, tapered dana 44 rear, dana 25 front, t90 & dana 18 tcase. For now, we're going to rebuild the trans, do some kind of spray- or roll-in liner for the inner tub, clean up the wiring and drive it. Maybe this winter tackle the body and do a budget repaint.

Thanks for the comments guys, should be a lot of fun

Old 01-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #8

I'm awful about updates. Thought I'd just replace the trans initially, but decided it'd be way easier to pull the body and really go through it this winter.

Here's the main shaft out of the trans, was full of water, needle bearings basically welded themselves to the shaft, and the output bearing not doing much spinning after all these years:

Ended up buying a rebuilt T90 rather than trying to use this one as a core.

Rolled it into the workshop, sideways. Hooray 80" wheelbase!

Stripped it down:

It's further along than this now but I haven't taken pictures. Tub is bare and all the body mounts are out, just resting on the frame until I figure out where to keep it while I go through the frame (clean, grind, paint, check brakes, get trans back in, replace pinion seals). Tub will then be cleaned up, underside painted, then the plan is to sand the shit out of the exterior, skim coat with filler, sand, prime, sand, prime, and topcoat with a flat gray w/black bracketry/trim. Think battleship. New brackets, dash, fuel tank, tailgate, painless wiring harness etc all sitting in boxes. I'll try to be better about updates!

Old 01-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #9
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Fun to wrench on older rigs, lots of meat! Your newer garage setup looks like it's getting good use! Jelly.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #10
SAAB Road Master

Cool project! Bonus that it's something you both wanted.
Many thumbs-up.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Looks like fun, I've also always wanted a jeep. They are expensive though!! My neighbor tried to sell me his with a rotted out frame, wanted 3500 for a 92! I think he got it too!
Old 01-15-2016, 04:41 AM   #12

This one was $5k. I think it'll wind up around an $8k total investment to get it where I'd like it. They're definitely not cheap, but it's fun to have something that you can do literally anything you want with, and be able to find the parts/support to do it. Plus, nothing beats top off/doors off in the summer.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:42 AM   #13

Started grinding on the body, too cold to wheel the chassis out to clean it up for now.

Someone got crazy with the bondo, what a frigging mess.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:58 PM   #14

A little bit better, at least now I know what I'm working with. Time for some amature dent removal, then a little more sanding and a *skim coat* of filler.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:44 AM   #15
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Nice, looks like good progress.

Quote:
Old 02-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #16

Body's off. Had one of those "I drove this thing in here. What have I done?" moments. Thankfully the frame is in great shape, just needs to be cleaned up.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #17

Scraped all the mud/grease/age off the frame, plus pressure wash and 4 cans of cleaner, plus wire wheel, plus a few coats of eastwood anti-rust frame coating. Looks cleaner than a lot of TJ frames around here.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #18
SAAB Road Master

That looks great, especially for being 60 yrs old.
Well done, sir. All the hours you're putting in are paying off!
Old 02-22-2016, 02:58 AM   #19
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Wish I could give my '80 Toyota 4wd this kind of treatment! Maybe next winter when my garage is a bit better suited for cold weather work.

Keep it up, this is gonna be sick!
Old 03-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #20

Fun with aircraft stripper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.