Did something silly. '56 Willys CJ-5 - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Showoff Forum > Other Pictures

Other Pictures Have something you just want everyone else to see? It can be you, your dog, family, a cute girl next door, your other car...anything!!

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #21
Elder

My experiences with aircraft stripper have not been the greatest. I no longer use it because my projects always end up way messier than I planned them to. I find it easiest to just take my time with a lot of sand paper. If I really need to get down to bare metal media blasting is usually the best way to go.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #22
Flirting With TSL Addiction

It's funny you say that, I came to more or less the same conclusion. I think for small parts, if you don't have access to a blasting cabinet, it might be a decent option, but this was a pretty big pain in the ass. I ended up ordering a 40lb pressurized media blaster this weekend from eastwood to finish everything up, hopefully that works out well.

It's not that the stripper doesnt work, its that it doesn't really work the way you'd think - I was hoping it'd do a better job in the tight areas/creases, but in reality there's still a fair amount of manual work in scraping the paint off. That and it's a mess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #23
Elder

it's such a pain to use because no matter how careful you are you always get a little on your skin, and it burns just enough to be annoying. After the paint starts to bubble u, you think that you can just rinse it off. the water just makes everything a mess and the stripper stops working. overall it is just a really finicky product to use.

media blasters are a life saver as long as they're operating properly. otherwise it seems like it takes forever.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #24

Made a list, thought it'd be helpful. It's just depressing.

Hoo boy, glad I decided to pull the clutch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #25
Elder

looks like a roadkill list. That clutch disc is totally shot!
Old 04-04-2016, 05:57 AM   #26
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Ooooof thats a long list!!

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #27

Motor was pretty clean, 416 heads (gm 305) so should have decent compression and with a decent intake and 4bbl carb, close to 300hp. Ordered a set of long tubes that should work. Front pinion seal is done, rear yoke was being a biotch, media blaster worked great though. Progress!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1460323777361.jpg (388.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Turbo00; 04-11-2016 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #28
SAABeginner

I have no experience restoring a jeep but, it seems challenging for me.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #29

Haven't been around here in a while, thought I'd update on this build.

Yay filler! Eastwood makes awesome body products, their contour filler is great to work with:
image by cjerin, on Flickr

Cleaned up the firewall, filled a lot of holes and built a new distributor relief:

Smoothed it out a bit and painted:

Built a new seat relief in the drivers rear fender:

Then built a paint booth in the shop, ghetto 'I don't want to asphyxiate' venting and all. Primer:

Paint:

Bedliner inside the tub:

Found an older edelbrock intake mani & 4bbl carb, +20hp valve covers and air cleaner:

And just this afternoon, set the tub on the frame. Big day!

Old 11-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #30

Nailed the Christmas card photo this year.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #31
SAAB Road Master

Your missus looks pleased with all the great progress you've made. On track to have her jeep ready for spring!!
Old 11-30-2016, 05:38 AM   #32
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Ha! Nice job.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:29 AM   #33

Got the motor back together, and fired it up this weekend. Ran great after setting the timing etc, super happy. Few little things to finish up the drivetrain and then I can move on to wiring and putting the fenders/seats/windshield etc back in. Might actually finish this pile before the end of June.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #34
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I like that satin black on the cleaner. Looks good.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:19 PM   #35
Drew In Houston
Elder

That thing is going to be fun. I bet you're going to need some wheelie bars for it.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:54 PM   #36

Built the exhaust, just need to weld on a couple turndowns. Limited by the length of the vehicle, fender-exit headers only left me about 22" total for a collector, mufflers, and some sort of turndown/out.

Oh yea, these 14" glasspacks will really quiet it down...surprisingly not toooo bad. This weekend hopefully finishing the throttle pedal (have to adapt a later-model CJ7 pedal/lokar throttle cable). If the temps are reasonable on Sunday I'll finish up the paintwork (hood, tailgate, grill), and I'll be read to start laying out the wiring and putting the rest of the body back together.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #37
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Nasty!

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.