Auto dimmer rear view question - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab NG900 '94-'98 and 9-3 '99-'02 Forum > General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information

General NG900 / Old 9-3 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the NG900 and old 9-3.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
Auto dimmer rear view question

Are all 99-2002 9-3's prewired for this. I'd like to install one but have never seen anyone with one or even in a car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Elder

i didnt think any prewire was needed other than power as the self dimming mirror is selfcontained right? and doesnt your mirror have lights in it? (i have never had a 9-3 so dont know)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
All you need is switched power and a ground for the mirror. I installed one in my 900 (not pre-wired) - just ran a wire from the cig lighter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Elder

My 97 900 was not prewired.

I don't think anything 9-3 will be wired either, except maybe an 02 9-3SE or a Viggen.

I pulled mine off the sunroof wiring.

Nice upgrade!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

The auto dim requires a Y harness on the 9-3. The Y harness plugs into the front dome light and steals power from the switched map lights. I just soldered a power and ground wire up there.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #6
Elder

were can i get a y harness

Old 08-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
I never used any kind of harness... Couple pieces of wire and some terminals, thats it.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
The y harness used to be available from Saab. But it was something crazy like $70.
Like Mike said, just run some wires down pillar and tap into the lighter fuse.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTurbo900 View Post
My 97 900 was not prewired.

I don't think anything 9-3 will be wired either, except maybe an 02 9-3SE or a Viggen.

I pulled mine off the sunroof wiring.

Nice upgrade!
what wires did you tap in the sunroof are? The harness that is on the cable appears to have 5 wires. i finally picked one up for 25 shipped and will do this as an afternoon winter project
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07110.jpg (91.1 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by soccerrplyr; 11-30-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerrplyr View Post
what wires did you tap in the sunroof are? The harness that is on the cable appears to have 5 wires. i finally picked one up for 25 shipped and will do this as an afternoon winter project

As I recall, the 5 jumper down to 3 at the first connector.

One is ground, one is power. Pick them up anywhere you have ignition switched power.

The other is optionally hooked up to the reverse light hot lead to shut off the auto dim when backing up.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:55 AM   #11

Auto dim is over rated, I hate it. I have it on my 9-5 and I keep forgetting to go on eBay and buy a used manual mirror for the 9-5. Auto dimming is never dark enough for me, and I wish there was a button on the damn thing where I could just turn the dimming function on when it gets dark. On manual mirrors I just flip it to the dark side once night starts, leave it there until morning.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #12
Avid TSL User

My 2001 9-3 was not pre-wired. I bought it as a "S" model and installed the auto dim rear view mirror very easily. The kit included the wiring harness (a short "Y" connector wire assembly). Definitely an easy upgrade to do and well worth it. Unfortunately for me I did it back in 2002 when the mirrors were close to $200 new.

There is a button on mine to turn the dimming on or off if you want. I've never had an issue with it
"not dimming enough".

http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/AutoDim9-3.PDF

Last edited by Dean C; 12-09-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerrplyr View Post
I tapped the red wire in the harness as I think this is the power and the black as a ground, then connected them to the cig lighter black wire as a ground, brown/green as a power. No go. anyone help! What wires would i be connecting

Old 12-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
are you sure your $25 mirror actually works? did you bench-test it?

Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
Elder

I tested today and its a no go. I used some wire extra car battery, a flashlight and couldn't get any movement. I even took the backing off and plugged into the harness where is says 12v and ground on the circuit board...nothing. I'll see what the seller messiguy01 on saabcentral has to say now.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #16

Did you cover the front facing light sensor with black electrical tape and then shine a light at the mirror?
Old 12-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #17
Elder

I tried it in a dimly lit room and shined a flashlight on the front first, then back looking and feeling for movement with the under button depressed as well as out

Old 12-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #18
Elder

seller refund my money

Old 12-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #19

It doesn't move, but dims like a welding helmet. If you're not sending it back and just tossing it, I'm curious as why it failed.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #20
Elder

i noticed no change in the unit or reflection at all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.